• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Bill 435

possumboy

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+ful+HB435

"or (ii) who while in a public place or a place open to the public refuses to identify himself at the request of a law-enforcement officer in uniform or a properly identified police officer, when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

This makes it purely subjective and does not provide for an opportunity to leave without showing ID. Possibly making everyinteraction the same a detainment until ID is show.

You can write Delegate Frederick at http://www.va52.com/contact.asp.

Or just start writing your Delegate about it.

Xeni

imported post

possumboy wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+ful+HB435

"or (ii) who while in a public place or a place open to the public refuses to identify himself at the request of a law-enforcement officer in uniform or a properly identified police officer, when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

This makes it purely subjective and does not provide for an opportunity to leave without showing ID. Possibly making everyinteraction the same a detainment until ID is show.

You can write Delegate Frederick at http://www.va52.com/contact.asp.

Or just start writing your Delegate about it.

I just called Del. Frederick's office and was transferred to his aide in Richmond. He said that those bills and a few others are not being sponsored by Frederick. His aide mentioned that they *MIGHT* be sponsored by Marshall. While I had him on the phone I voiced my opposition to this bill and asked for my Delegate (Frederick) to vote against it.

vrwmiller

imported post

Xeni wrote:
I just called Del. Frederick's office and was transferred to his aide in Richmond. He said that those bills and a few others are not being sponsored by Frederick. His aide mentioned that they *MIGHT* be sponsored by Marshall. While I had him on the phone I voiced my opposition to this bill and asked for my Delegate (Frederick) to vote against it.
I really doubt that Marshall would patron such a bill, so I checked LIS. According to LIS, Frederick is the chief patron of this bill. Either LIS is wrong or his office is wrong.

hsmith

imported post

Your papers please!

Nice to see the delegates working to strip away our freedoms, progress in Richmond is underway!

bayboy42

imported post

Not sure where the confusion lies....vrwmiller...even the link you provided shows
Delegate Jackson H. Miller
(R) - House District 50

as the chief patron of this bill.

vrwmiller

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Not sure where the confusion lies....vrwmiller...even the link you provided shows
Delegate Jackson H. Miller
(R) - House District 50

as the chief patron of this bill.
As posted in another thread...

That is so bizarre! I checked LIS, literally, not 10 minutes ago and Frederick was the sponsor of HB435.
I notice that it has been updated as well. Still, Marshall is not the chief patron, though it does not surprise me Miller is the patron.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I dislike the idea of this bill, and will urge my lawmakers to oppose it, I also do not see that it says "produce identification documentation". It simply says "identify himself".

To me, that means stating name and city of residence.

What am I missing?

LEO 229

imported post

Happy, Happy... Joy, Joy!!!! :lol:

Sorry guys.... I like this proposed change!! Don't hate me. ;)

One thing to remember is.....

"when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

This means that the jack booted thugs cannot just walk up and ask you for your "papers" unless there is a good reason.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Papers Citizen before vee shoot you I hafe decided that you are a threat to the fatherland... who are you, vere are you goink and vere have you been you svine...

...(Said with a east German Accent.)

sheeeesh.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Ich muss Ihre Papiere bitte sehen

Leo,

I for one don't believe that you personallywould try to abuse this power and my comment was not aimed at you...I have read your posts and agree with you alot I do. (For a cop you seem like a good one and are okay by me...)

But there are thoes that will try to mis-use this power... and they will do so with a clear concience that they are doing what is best....and so it should NEVER be granted...

Zieg Hiel!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C. S. LEWIS

LEO 229

imported post

Freeflight wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Leo,

I for one don't believe that you personallywould try to abuse this power and my comment was not aimed at you...I have read your posts and agree with you alot I do. (For a cop you seem like a good one and are okay by me...)

But there are thoes that will try to mis-use this power... and they will do so with a clear concience that they are doing what is best....and so it should NEVER be granted...

Zieg Hiel!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C. S. LEWIS

You are right... I only use my powers for good. Like Superman. He would NEVER use his x-ray vision to see through women's clothing.

I know of cops that have pulled people over to ask them out on dates. Others that ran tags and knocked on their door to ask them out. So they abusedtraffic stops and VCIN information.

There is always something that a few are going to abuse. This "paper check" can also be abused but the possibility of the minorabuse is outweighed by those that will use it properly.

Out of the 850,000 cops out there.... there are not that many abusing their position. You have to have a bad apple in the bushel.

TEX1N

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Happy, Happy... Joy, Joy!!!! :lol:

Sorry guys.... I like this proposed change!! Don't hate me. ;)

One thing to remember is.....

"when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

This means that the jack booted thugs cannot just walk up and ask you for your "papers" unless there is a good reason.
I don't think I want to hear you complaining anymore, as it looks like Richmond is trying to give you all sorts of breaks: you won't have to wear a uniform to work anymore, you won't have to report accidents with under 5k in damage, you'll be able to demand anyone to ID themselves (if you think you have reason for "public safety"), you'll be able to arrest for ANY misdemeanor, and after all of that you'll be able to retire early!

Because I guess more than 25-years of not wearing a uniform and demanding people to ID themselves for the safety of the general public, could kill you! ;)

LEO 229

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
I don't think I want to hear you complaining anymore, as it looks like Richmond is trying to give you all sorts of breaks: you won't have to wear a uniform to work anymore, you won't have to report accidents with under 5k in damage, you'll be able to demand anyone to ID themselves (if you think you have reason for "public safety"), you'll be able to arrest for ANY misdemeanor, and after all of that you'll be able to retire early!

Because I guess more than 25-years of not wearing a uniform and demanding people to ID themselves for the safety of the general public, could kill you! ;)
I promise... give me this one thing and I will be happy for the rest of the year. :p

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Leo,

Zieg Hiel!

You are right... I only use my powers for good. Like Superman. He would NEVER use his x-ray vision to see through women's clothing.

I know of cops that have pulled people over to ask them out on dates. Others that ran tags and knocked on their door to ask them out. So they abusedtraffic stops and VCIN information.

There is always something that a few are going to abuse. This "paper check" can also be abused but the possibility of the minorabuse is outweighed by those that will use it properly.

Out of the 850,000 cops out there.... there are not that many abusing their position. You have to have a bad apple in the bushel.

I'm glad you see it my way :lol:I know I'm right... Joke leo... Joke...

I will have to disagree with you on this one. This bill is just another attempt to have everyone "Feel better" ...as in, "see what we have done to keep you safe... now we can clean up the streets because we can detain and search anyone "We LEOS"reasonably viewas athreat... for any good reason that we believe is true.."when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"the reasonsawfully nebulous by design and open to interpretation so that our "Net" will catch as many Flies as possible...but thats okay... we are your servants and will never misuse this power..."

Nazi Germany viewed the Jews as a threat and made similar laws to be able to Stop and Identify... see what happened to the Jews...

Not in AMERICA and not on my Watch...

my whole point is that if even 1 or 2Jack booted thugs could (will)mis-use this then it just can't be...its a Pandora's box as far as I'm concerned.

take this made up scenario for instance. Some Leo's upon seeing an armed person entering 7-11...could reasonably suspect that he is up to no good "Being Armed" andwill be allowed under this law to harass and harangue said armed person... because in "Good Faith" they... the said leo's believe that.."the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

You see where I'm going with this...

I do believe our men and women in Blue deserve all the Tools they need. Just Not this one... It gives up yet another bit of freedom to exchange for feeling safer...

In no way should we Pile on the Leo on this one. I knowI'm Right, I also see where Leo is coming from and understand..I've said my bit and thought it through as I'm sure he has..

Its all cool Leo 229 :dude: we are all entitled to our beliefs..we can disagree without coming to blows or stooping to calling names.... and we can continue with dialog as long as we (both parties)desire...

LEO 229

imported post

Freeflight wrote:

Its all cool Leo 229 :dude: we are all entitled to our beliefs..we can disagree without coming to blows or stooping to calling names.... and we can continue with dialog as long as we (both parties)desire...
I was getting ready to call you names till I got to the end!! :lol: Kidding!

I understand the man with a gun scene.... The copwas probablygoing to approach in either case. Having to show the ID now takes out the confrontation aspect like Danbus had.I see it as a quick check that was going to occur anywayand all is good in the motherland. ;)

The bill isout of our hands... we will see what happens on this one.

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
TEX1N wrote:

I promise... give me this one thing and I will be happy for the rest of the year. :p
If you give a mouse a cookie.... he will wan't a glass of milk...

bayboy42

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Freeflight wrote:

I was getting ready to call you names till I got to the end!! :lol: Kidding!

I understand the man with a gun scene.... The copwas probablygoing to approach in either case. Having to show the ID now takes out the confrontation aspect like Danbus had.I see it as a quick check that was going to occur anywayand all is good in the motherland. ;)

The bill isout of our hands... we will see what happens on this one.
Like Tess said........where does this recommended change say anthing about having to show ID??????:what:Just to bring it back to the top of the thread:

"who while in a public place or a place open to the public refuses to identify himself at the request of a law-enforcement officer in uniform or a properly identified police officer, when the surrounding circumstances reasonably require that public safety requires such identification"

My name is bayboy42 from Gloucester Point Virginia. Am I being detained or am I free to leave?:question:
(please don't misconstrue my question as any type of support for the bill!!!)

possumboy

imported post

It seems it was a problem with LIS this morning that has been corrected.

This is from this morning:

Frederick, Jeffrey M.

...HB 430 Zoning ordinance; provisions for issuance of inspection...
...HB 431 Title insurance agents; pre-licensing education course.
...HB 432 Arts and cultural districts; adds City of Manassas to t...
...HB 433 Motor vehicle; forfeiture thereof for three or more off...
...HB 434 Defacement of buildings; immunity.
...HB 435 Law-enforcement officer; penalty for failure to identif...
...HB 436 Arrest or summons; charge for misdemeanor at discretion...
...HB 437 Public schools; composite index formula for basic state...
...HB 438 Learner's permits; issuance to minors when school recor...

Since this was corrected, I feel much better about my delegate now!