• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

social security dept.

CC27

imported post

Today I took the wife over to get her last name changed on her ss card (we got married in June and this aspect of the name change slipped our mind). But anyway there is a sign that says " no weapons" and there is a security guard present. While waiting the guard took a smoke break and was gone well over 20 min. My question is, if a nut came in and shot the place up while the guard is on his smoke break, is there grounds for a law suit?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Why not just spill your drink on the ground, stand up and slip on the spilt beverage? There's ground for a lawsuit if you can get an attorney to file, no matter what the circumstances (negligent or not).

heresolong

imported post

This would probably fall under the numerous cases in which it has been found that the police have no duty to protect an individual citizen but rather their job is protect society as a whole by arresting those who have caused harm and keeping them from causing further harm.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Agreed with what heresolong said. If I was a "security guard" making $9/hour to stand in the corner of the SS office, I'd be the first one out the door when the shooting started. They don't get paid to take down active shooters. They get paid to make people "FEEL" safe. So, do ya?