Thread: Open Carry in Cleveland

Post imported post

I was wondering if anyone open carries in the Clevleand Area. I know there are some liberal areas in Cleveland where some people might not like it. I was wondering if someone from Cleveland would want to open carry with me some time.

Joe

Post imported post

I have not OCed in Cleveland. I know that Mayor Jackson is very anti-gun, and while OC is entirely legal and local ordinances such as the ones Cleveland has are fully preempted, you can probably expect to have some conversations with Cleveland police if you OC.

Post imported post

I thought there were no more local ordinances permitted on the area of O/C after the implementation of HB347. I could be very wrong, so feel to correct me. I say carry anyway.

Post imported post

You're right; local ordinances are not permitted. But Mayor Jackson doesn't really seem to care. He is very anti gun, and if I remember correctly (I can't find a link to back this up) he was suing the state of Ohio over HB 347. I'm not saying I'm against OCing in Cleveland, I'm just saying that Mayor Jackson and the Cleveland police are probably going to try to make your life a living hell in any way they possibly can.

Post imported post

FWIW, when the city of Cleveland challenged the preemption statute in court and the mayor wanted people arrested for it, the police publicly said they weren't going to arrest anyone illegally (like for carrying in a park with a license, etc.).

Post imported post

That's big of them, not arresting people for not breaking the law.

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    That's big of them, not arresting people for not breaking the law.

-ljp
    Truly. I think the "big deal" was that they were directly contradicting their immediate boss (the mayor).