McCain

Thompson

Paul

Giuliani

Hunter

Tarzan

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Its interesting that all these unaffiliated or not elected delegates have already choosen their candidates. Of course they can change their mind.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

These are convention delegates, controlled by the party, and not Electoral College Electors presumed faithful (contra 'faithless' and 'assumed').

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ctoral_College

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    ................Of course they can change their mind.
    And they DO.Historically most candidates don't have enough votes going into the convention to sow up the nomination, and have to get delegates to switch and vote for them. Most of the time the delegates stay true the first vote, before they switch.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    These are convention delegates, controlled by the party, and not Electoral College Electors presumed faithful........
    This is true, but even Electoral College Electors have changed their minds.

tarzan

Banned

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    This is true, but even Electoral College Electors have changed their minds.
    Hence, "faithless." And the faithless are notable exceptions.

The Constitution and 12th Amendment provide for the EC and will have to be amended/legislated out of existence to do away with the EC. That is as portentious as infringing the 2A away.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    This is according to CNN

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#R

Republican Scorecard

Romney

Huckabee

McCain

Thompson

Paul

Giuliani

Hunter

Tarzan
    Tarzan got no votes. This whole election system is rigged. Not one vote for Tarzan, not one.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    SNIP Tarzan got no votes. This whole election system is rigged. Not one vote for Tarzan, not one.
    Investigate Cheetah, the chimp. He's probably a Hillary operative.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I love how these so-called 'Super Delegates' can change the hand of a nomination and override the will of the people in the primaries. Just goes to show how a select few have the power and continue to prey on the people.

Post imported post

color of law wrote:
    Tarzan got no votes. This whole election system is rigged. Not one vote for Tarzan, not one.
    I will vote for tarzan! :celebrate
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

State Researcher

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    I love how these so-called 'Super Delegates' can change the hand of a nomination and override the will of the people in the primaries. Just goes to show how a select few have the power and continue to prey on the people.
    +1 ...... IMHO, they should follow the will of the people....no delegates, no EC

Banned

Post imported post

Shopping, cherry-picking thru the COTUS and BoR for just the sort of tyranny that appeals, like tyranny of the majority? Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA *******

State Researcher

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Shopping, cherry-picking thru the COTUS and BoR for just the sort of tyranny that appeals, like tyranny of the majority? Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA *******
    What would be the best way to elect a President if not by popular vote?
    As history shows, if not "by the people"...chances are good that it won't be "for the people" either.....

Banned

Post imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
    What would be the best way to elect a President if not by popular vote?
    As history shows, if not "by the people"...chances are good that it won't be "for the people" either.....
    The answer to your question is a premise to your question (modus ponens - 'begging the question'). The best way to elect (your premise!) a President is Constitutionally via the Electoral College, else the tryanny of the ignorant majority.

Leftism is leftism whether democracy or communism or bolshevism.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed wehre they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

"Democracy isthe rule of fools by fools." Strongly disagree.

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said it best, "Democracy is the worst possible form of government... except for all the other forms of government."

Post imported post

rb8941 wrote:

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said it best, "Democracy is the worst possible form of government... except for all the other forms of government."
    Churchill is all well and good, but isn't Franklin (non british patriotic hero type) credited with saying: "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the Vote."?

Whether he said it or not, it shows what's wrong with Democracy. I'll take the good old Constitional Republic anyday.

Change the language to mean what you want it to mean and you can manipulate not only the argument, but the IDEAS behind it.

The U.S. is NOT a Democracy, but ask any schoolchild..... (and almost all ordinary citizens, for that matter)

Erus

Post imported post

The US is a plutocracy - how many non-millionaires are even running now? Sorry, my Bolshevik colors are showing...

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    The US is a plutocracy - how many non-millionaires are even running now? Sorry, my Bolshevik colors are showing...

-ljp
    OK I'll concede that, sorrowfully.. Let me rephrase.. the U.S. was DESIGNED and created to be.. etc etc.

And Legba, since when are Red, White, & Blue Bolshevik colors? Those arethe only colors I see on you in this post.

Erus

Post imported post

Slightly more red than white and blue at times, but thanks. I don't think I'm politically too far afield from the mainstream, for the most part. Now if we only had that pesky universal health care...

-ljp

Post imported post

rb8941 wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Churchill would've been laughed at by the founders, but he was just an alcoholic with aBritish problem. Look at his country, now. Try OC'ing in his "democracy" and see what happens.

The foundershated three forms of government more than any other: monarchy, oligarchy, and democracy.

The word democracy didn't become fashionable until the progressive era, which yielded bozos like Woodrow Wilson and FDR, and of course, the sainted Churchill. It was during this era that gun control morphed from a local, racist-based version to a national indescriminate type involving Treasury agents (BATF) and other centralized nonsense.

When you blow off the constitution for modern cult ideas like democracy that's what you get.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    rb8941 wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Churchill would've been laughed at by the founders, but he was just an alcoholic with aBritish problem. Look at his country, now. Try OC'ing in his "democracy" and see what happens.

The foundershated three forms of government more than any other: monarchy, oligarchy, and democracy.

The word democracy didn't become fashionable until the progressive era, which yielded bozos like Woodrow Wilson and FDR, and of course, the sainted Churchill. It was during this era that gun control morphed from a local, racist-based version to a national indescriminate type involving Treasury agents (BATF) and other centralized nonsense.

When you blow off the constitution for modern cult ideas like democracy that's what you get.
    Hmmm. I'll have to look into this. Sounds interesting. Suggested reading?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    SNIP Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

This also speaks to the manipulation of language. The Bolsheviks were by no means in the majority when they pulled their society-wrecking stunt.

The Federalists pulled this at the Founding also. At the Founding, the words federation and confederacy were synonymous. Prior to the Constitution we had the Articles of Confederation. That's right. It was already a federation, a federal-ity.

The delegates to the Constitutional convention were authorized only to improve the Articles of Confederation. We already had a federation. Yet, they called themselves Federalists. Leaving the opposition to be called anti-Federalists. Ouch!! So, if you happened to see the seeds of big government in the Constitution, and hollered about it, you got branded with a name that implied you were opposed to individual state sovereignties forming a federation.

Yes, there were people who predicted the big, over-reaching federal government even in 1788.

Activist Member

Post imported post

The Bolsheviks (meaning majority) were the minority among the reds in Russia, and the Mensheviks (meaning minority) outnumbered them. And I believe the reds as a whole were a minority compared to the whites.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    rb8941 wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Hmmm. I'll have to look into this. Sounds interesting. Suggested reading?
    I don't have anything solid to back it up at this point. It's basically my take on history based on stuff I've read and historians' lectures and so forth. If I run across something nect time I'm digging in my bookcase I'll let you know.

So, yes, folks, in other words, this may be considered my opinion at this point.:?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    So, yes, folks, in other words, this may be considered my opinion at this point.:?
    Well, yes. I knew that. But darned if you haven't piqued my interest. You don't strike me as the sort of fella who invents his opinions out of thin air. I was guessing you had done more than a little reading to lay out those ideas.

I'll just have to wait for the bookshelf excavation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast