• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Story you won't See

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
rb8941 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Shopping, cherry-picking thru the COTUS and BoR for just the sort of tyranny that appeals, like tyranny of the majority? Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA KMA$$

"Democracy isthe rule of fools by fools." Strongly disagree.

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said it best, "Democracy is the worst possible form of government... except for all the other forms of government."

Churchill would've been laughed at by the founders, but he was just an alcoholic with aBritish problem. Look at his country, now. Try OC'ing in his "democracy" and see what happens.

The foundershated three forms of government more than any other: monarchy, oligarchy, and democracy.

The word democracy didn't become fashionable until the progressive era, which yielded bozos like Woodrow Wilson and FDR, and of course, the sainted Churchill. It was during this era that gun control morphed from a local, racist-based version to a national indescriminate type involving Treasury agents (BATF) and other centralized nonsense.

When you blow off the constitution for modern cult ideas like democracy that's what you get.
Hmmm. I'll have to look into this. Sounds interesting. Suggested reading?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

This also speaks to the manipulation of language. The Bolsheviks were by no means in the majority when they pulled their society-wrecking stunt.

The Federalists pulled this at the Founding also. At the Founding, the words federation and confederacy were synonymous. Prior to the Constitution we had the Articles of Confederation. That's right. It was already a federation, a federal-ity.

The delegates to the Constitutional convention were authorized only to improve the Articles of Confederation. We already had a federation. Yet, they called themselves Federalists. Leaving the opposition to be called anti-Federalists. Ouch!! So, if you happened to see the seeds of big government in the Constitution, and hollered about it, you got branded with a name that implied you were opposed to individual state sovereignties forming a federation.

Yes, there were people who predicted the big, over-reaching federal government even in 1788.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The Bolsheviks (meaning majority) were the minority among the reds in Russia, and the Mensheviks (meaning minority) outnumbered them. And I believe the reds as a whole were a minority compared to the whites.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
rb8941 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Shopping, cherry-picking thru the COTUS and BoR for just the sort of tyranny that appeals, like tyranny of the majority? Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Try it this way; bolshevik is democrat translated into Russian (from the Russian "bolshinstvo" (majority) . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolshevik

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA KMA$$

"Democracy isthe rule of fools by fools." Strongly disagree.

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said it best, "Democracy is the worst possible form of government... except for all the other forms of government."

Churchill would've been laughed at by the founders, but he was just an alcoholic with aBritish problem. Look at his country, now. Try OC'ing in his "democracy" and see what happens.

The foundershated three forms of government more than any other: monarchy, oligarchy, and democracy.

The word democracy didn't become fashionable until the progressive era, which yielded bozos like Woodrow Wilson and FDR, and of course, the sainted Churchill. It was during this era that gun control morphed from a local, racist-based version to a national indescriminate type involving Treasury agents (BATF) and other centralized nonsense.

When you blow off the constitution for modern cult ideas like democracy that's what you get.
Hmmm. I'll have to look into this. Sounds interesting. Suggested reading?

I don't have anything solid to back it up at this point. It's basically my take on history based on stuff I've read and historians' lectures and so forth. If I run across something nect time I'm digging in my bookcase I'll let you know.

So, yes, folks, in other words, this may be considered my opinion at this point.:?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
So, yes, folks, in other words, this may be considered my opinion at this point.:?

Well, yes. I knew that. But darned if you haven't piqued my interest. You don't strike me as the sort of fella who invents his opinions out of thin air. I was guessing you had done more than a little reading to lay out those ideas.

I'll just have to wait for the bookshelf excavation. :)

sjhipple

imported post

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Ben Franklin

Democracy is the idea that wrong becomes right when 51% of people agree. It brings about stupid arguments like, "well, the people have spoken." Liberty is the fact that people have rights no matter what. Liberty, and the Constitution that protects it, are very, very, very anti-democratic. As anti-democratic as the founders who believed in them

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Ben Franklin

Democracy is the idea that wrong becomes right when 51% of people agree. It brings about stupid arguments like, "well, the people have spoken." Liberty is the fact that people have rights no matter what. Liberty, and the Constitution that protects it, are very, very, very anti-democratic. As anti-democratic as the founders who believed in them
+1

Tomahawk

imported post

Interesting discussion. While I am no fan of democracy for its own sake, let me play devil's advocate:

If the majority is not qualified to determine what is right, who is? How do you choose the minority who does get to decide?

I am of the opinion that there are [nearly] objective facts about human nature that can be used to determine what a right is or isn't, through a process of logic.

But if the majority doesn't understand your logic, what then?

I see the purpose for the electoral college, but it's neither a fool proof guard against stupidity nor is it easy to explain to people.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The root of this argument is subjective truth or objective truth. Does 'truth.' like Rights, exist apart from humans.

I believe 'yes,' truth is an ideal that exists apart from our efforts to bend it to our will. This is an aspect of Platonism.

The Decalogue is a fine objective truth, YMMV.

Once a subjective truth is allowed the debate on whose ox is AlGored begins.

A reliable guide to 'truth' is to listen to who squeals the loudest.

Legba

imported post

Sorry, I made a cynical remark about millionaire politicians and my own closet lefty leanings (in certain respects) and the topic got crushed under foot.

-ljp

PT111

imported post

Legba wrote:
Sorry, I made a cynical remark about millionaire politicians and my own closet lefty leanings (in certain respects) and the topic got crushed under foot.

-ljp
I think it got hijacked long before then.:lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Did I miss the beginning of this thread? How the heck did the OP get to this discussion? Talk about thread hijacking.

What do *you* think the OP is about, then? Make a constructive contribution.

tarzan1888

Tomahawk

imported post

The OP was about delegates, which led to a discussion about the electoral college, which brings back the old debate about direct democracy vs. protection from mob rule.

From the specific to the general, and after hashing out the general we use our new perspectives to re-examine the specific. And maybe learn something along the way.

That's why discussions like this interest me.

Erus

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
<snip>

From the specific to the general, and after hashing out the general we use our new perspectives to re-examine the specific. And maybe learn something along the way.

+1,000,000+

Is there any other wayactual LEARNING gets done?

"...Thanks to great leaders such as.. socratic method, the world is Full, of history!" -Ted Theodore Logan

Sorry for the silly quote/obscure, twisted referencing, but I can not agree with you more Tomahawk. This is thebest reason worth having/contributing to any conversation, IMO.

Erus

PT111

imported post

The original title of this thread was "The Story you won't see" which a C&P of a CNN web page. The only unusual thing about the page was that it showed Tarzan getting no delegates, otherwise it was a story that millions have access to. I fail to see how Tarzan not having any delegates so far ties into the Electoral College or Open Carry of weapons. Threads on this site have been deleted for being not related to Open Carry that were much closer than an argument over whether to contribute a quote to Winston Churchill or Ben Franklin.:)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Perhaps you have some insight into this next one. It falls in the category of misusing language. Its new to me.

Lincoln prosecuted a war against the Southern states.

From the US Constitution, Article 1 Sec. 8: To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions; (emphasis mine)

The 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The Constitution authorizes the fed's to suppress insurrections. But nothing in it authorizes preventing secessions.

Nor, are the states are not prohibited from seceeding.

The 10th Amendment reserves to the States any powers not given to the federal government, nor prohibited to the States.

Now I understand why the federal government treated the Southern states as rebels. And called it a Rebellion (insurrection). They were authorized to put down insurrections, not secessions. They HADTO call it a rebellion.

Yet, the South wasn'trebelling. They were seceeding.

Deliberate misuse of language, looks like to me.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Perhaps you have some insight into this next one. It falls in the category of misusing language. Its new to me.

Lincoln prosecuted a war against the Southern states.

From the US Constitution, Article 1 Sec. 8: To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions; (emphasis mine)

The 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The Constitution authorizes the fed's to suppress insurrections. But nothing in it authorizes preventing secessions.

Nor, are the states are not prohibited from seceeding.

The 10th Amendment reserves to the States any powers not given to the federal government, nor prohibited to the States.

Now I understand why the federal government treated the Southern states as rebels. And called it a Rebellion (insurrection). They were authorized to put down insurrections, not secessions. They HADTO call it a rebellion.

Yet, the South wasn'trebelling. They were seceeding.

Deliberate misuse of language, looks like to me.

Well, now we're definitely off-topic, but I see what you're saying. I'll have to look up the word, but does insurrection mean the same thing as rebellion?

And what is secession if not a rebellion? Is it not saying, "we no longer accept your rule, so we're going our own way"? Isn't that a rebellion?

Never mind for now. I think this should be in a different thread.