• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updates for Michigan

SpringerXDacp

imported post

PRIVATE SALES:

Private sales are legal. Seller/Buyer subject to Pistol Sales Record processing & Safety Inspection, respectfully.

PERMIT ISSUED:

CPL (Concealed Pistol License).

K-12:

CPL holders MAY carry in their cars only.

COLLEGE CARRY:

[align=left]Michigan State University, University of Michigan, and Wayne State University Buildings and Campus are off limits to those even with a Permit to Carry. All other colleges, etc the only place off limits are the Classrooms and Dormitories. ( handgunlaw.us ).[/align]

[align=left]PLACES OFF LIMITS:[/align]

[align=left]Michiganstatepolice

State Law:[/align]Michiganlegislature

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
PRIVATE SALES:

Private sales are legal. Seller/Buyer subject to Pistol Sales Record processing & Safety Inspection, respectfully.

PERMIT ISSUED:

CPL (Concealed Pistol License).

K-12:

CPL holders MAY carry in their cars only.

COLLEGE CARRY:

[align=left]Michigan State University, University of Michigan, and Wayne State University Buildings and Campus are off limits to those even with a Permit to Carry. All other colleges, etc the only place off limits are the Classrooms and Dormitories. ( handgunlaw.us ).[/align]

[align=left]PLACES OFF LIMITS:[/align]

[align=left]Michiganstatepolice

State Law:[/align]Michiganlegislature

Please reference the rules on Uof M and MSU on firearms. How can they prohibit firearms over state law. They are public universities, not private.

muledoe

imported post

So you are not allowed to carry in class rooms at those colleges, thats common sense. I usually just leave my gun in my car in my box when i go to school.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

muledoe wrote:
So you are not allowed to carry in class rooms at those colleges, thats common sense. I usually just leave my gun in my car in my box when i go to school.

If you're refering (those)to only MSU, UofM & WSU campus'(sp), no carry whatsoever anywhere on their property, to include any parking facilities owned and maintained by said universities.

All other community colleges & universities, in Michigan, the only places off limits are the dorms and classrooms.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SNIP
Please reference the rules on Uof M and MSU on firearms. How can they prohibit firearms over state law. They are public universities, not private.

Not sure about this.Possiblydue to anordinance thingbefore preemption took place.

The universities somehow slipped them in...I guess-just not sure how.

I'll do some more research on this.

Venator

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SNIP

Not sure about this.Possiblydue to anordinance thingbefore preemption took place.

Please let me know what you find, as I carry on MSU often.

Venator

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SNIP

All I have found on thisare ordinances enacted by the schools, which with preemption can't be enforced. I believe they don't allow students and staff to have guns even though they may have a CPL, But me as a non-student/staff member can carry concealed on campus. Unless I'm missing something. I realize that these 3 schools have regents and boards elected by the public but so do municipalities and they can't preempt firearm laws in Michigan.

So lets keep looking, I really want to have a referenceon this.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SNIP
All I have found on thisare ordinances enacted by the schools, which with preemption can't be enforced. I believe they don't allow students and staff to have guns even though they may have a CPL, But me as a non-student/staff member can carry concealed on campus. Unless I'm missing something. I realize that these 3 schools have regents and boards elected by the public but so do municipalities and they can't preempt firearm laws in Michigan.

So lets keep looking, I really want to have a referenceon this.

This is all I found for now...perhaps the same as you mentioned.

"Preemption=legislavtive action by the state to prohibit local units of government from..."

"Local units of government=county, village, city, colleges/universties..."

Yes I agree.

Maybe MSU, UofM & WSU, think they're something special much like Ferndale, Mi.once did. See MCRGO vs. Ferndale.

OOPS!!! http://trustees.msu.edu/ordinances/ordinances_sec18.html

kmcdowel

imported post

Northern Michigan University (NMU) has the following in their website:

ps_gun.jpg

"If you are visiting campus with a weapon and have a concealed weapon permit, you can register and store it at Public Safety and Police Services"

AND

22.03 No persons, except those persons specified in sub-section .04 hereof, shall use, carry, transport, store or possess (whether on their person or subject to their control) any Weapon or any explosive device at any place on the campus of Northern Michigan University.

22.04 Sub-section .03 of this Ordinance shall not apply to:

a. Any certified law enforcement officer who has been duly appointed by the government of the United States, the State of Michigan, or any county, municipality, or other political subdivision of the State of Michigan.

b. Any person who is a member of a group or class of persons specifically exempted by the Board of Control of Northern Michigan University or their designee.

c. Any person who is affiliated with Northern Michigan University and who is transporting any weapon directly to or from Public Safety and Police Services to or from an off campus site.

http://publicsafety.nmu.edu/

http://publicsafety.nmu.edu/Departments/PublicSafety/SiteSections/PoliceServices/Ordinances.shtml#WEAPONS

What do you think of that?? Can I carry anywhere, OC or CC??

[line]

A side note, I have never carried on campus....well thats a lie. I have never OCed on campus, and don't plan on it anytime soon. I feel that a college campus is the most likely place for people to 'freak out' and call the police, the police (especially 'public saftey' school cops)wouldn't know the law and 'freak out' as well, and I think I would likely end up with weapons drawn on me. Maybe I'll give public saftey' a call and see what they think of OCing. Actually, I dont think they even carry a gun. I feel so safe at school:?....glad this is my last semester

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
I just emailed MCRGO about this, hopefully, they will reply this week.
Any resolution on the MSU weapons questions?

I sent another email to MCRGO today in regards to my previous email.

Typically, when I send them a question/concern, I get a response the following week.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Typically, when I send them a question/concern, I get a response the following week.

Received a response today from (MCRGO). I will not bother to post it...junk info.

Long story short; they provided a link to (MSP) website (Gun Free Zones)and mentioned schools are still off limits, except while in car, etc. I did not even mention schools (K-12) in my original letter to them. :banghead:

Venator

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Venator wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:

Received a response today from (MCRGO). I will not bother to post it...junk info.

Long story short; they provided a link to (MSP) website (Gun Free Zones)and mentioned schools are still off limits, except while in car, etc. I did not even mention schools (K-12) in my original letter to them. :banghead:
Thanks for the update. Are you going to clarify the question to just MSU, Wayne, UM campuses and resend?

Venator

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
Could someone please provide the link that singles out those three universities? Thanks, -Kevin
That's the point no one seems to be able to find one. My OPINION is that there is nothing different about them than any other state campus. That is why I would like to find something in writing somewhere. Perhaps it should be another question to the MSP.

kmcdowel

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
COLLEGE CARRY:
[align=left]Michigan State University, University of Michigan, and Wayne State University Buildings and Campus are off limits to those even with a Permit to Carry. All other colleges, etc the only place off limits are the Classrooms and Dormitories. ( handgunlaw.us ).
[/align]
...Where didthis come from Springer?