• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll Question - Your LEO contact while OCing

Have you even been approached by a LEO while armed?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A LEO noticed my gun.

• A LEO complemented me on my gun.

• I was asked by a LEO if I was a cop.

• I was asked by a LEO why I was armed.

• I was asked by a LEO for my Identification.

• I was disarmed by a LEO.

• I was held at gun point by a LEO

• I was arrested for open carry

• Total voters

LEO 229

imported post

Please answer honestly so I can determine what the average contact is with a LEO while you are out packing heat openly.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Need multiple choice for me, and there is no option for being called bad names or being told it was illegal. No called out the chopper either. :celebrate
Seriously though about 4 of those things have happened to me.
A LEO noticed my gun many times, say 10 or more.
I was asked by a LEO if I was a cop. (tonys)
I was asked by a LEO why I was armed, at Tonys and I think at Burke Lake.
I was asked by a LEO for my Identification, at Tonys and sort of asked for it at Burke Lake but not as a demand.

LEO 229

imported post

Pick the highest level you have experienced.

Never =0 and Arrested = 10 for seriousness.

Looking to get one per customer here. :D

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Guess this wouldn't even count since I haven't OCed (in town) due to LEO attitude here in Alabama....they seem to enjoy arresting us for it.:(

I had an off duty officer see my pistol in my car about 15 years ago....he made the duty officers aware of it. Next thing I know, I had a patrol car in front of me and one in back when I came out of the store where I was parked
(friend was waiting in the car, pistol not unattended)...they just checked to make sure I had a Pistol License.
Not a bad encounter I suppose.....no "ill will" etc.
The only other encounter was when an officer that knew me politely pointed out that I was "printing".
Do I get at least .5? :D

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Disarmed/detained, taken out of the store, patted down, gun removed(on my birthday!) in 2005. Henrico County, Virginia

Then other officers arrived and the original LEO returned my gun and told me I would be detained and disarmed every time an LEO noticed my gun in Henrico County.

I filed a complaint with the the Commonwealths Attorney asking for a response and formal investigation and I filed a complaint with Internal Affairs. The officer was disciplined for multiple violations of department policy. Commonwealth's Attorney also gave advice to the department letting them know the contact with me was illegal. I alsocontacted the FBI who referred my case to an agent who specializes in LEO misbehavior - but it took them three months to do this, and by that time I had received the letter from IA saying "several of the officers actions were inappropriate and not up to the standards of the division", so I contacted the agent and told him I was satisifed and didn't need his assistance anymore. I also contacted the every one of the Board of Supervisors and received a nice letter back assuring me they supported a full, fair investigation. Col. Stanley was great in his contact with me and Philip Van Cleave, although his chief deputy lied through his teeth to bothPhilip and myself (the Col. was out of town when this first happened, so originally contact was made with his chief deputy).

Alls well that ends well.... and never had a problem before this or since... and I have open carried in Virginia over 1,000 times.... including going to the bank in jeans at least 25 times, etc.

les_aker

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Need multiple choice for me, and there is no option for being called bad names or being told it was illegal. No called out the chopper either. :celebrate
I was asked by a LEO for my Identification, at Tonys and sort of asked for it at Burke Lake but not as a demand.
LEOs in general miss the entire point. Whether or not a majority of people have been arrested or even questioned is nothing but an attempt to dodge the issue. Even the incomplete list of selections in this poll are not in order of severity.

The issue is really simple. Open carry is legal. There should be ZERO attempts to ask people for identification or to detain them at any time when nothing illegal has occurred. And it is apparent from many of these reports of the police acting improperly that it makes them every upset when someone knows the law and won't play their little game.

Petty dictators abound.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I was vehicular-bicycling when a motorist took umbrage. He accosted me and I convinced him that we would be better out of the flow of traffic and at the fire station parking lot.

Apparently when he called the 911 dispatcher to request an officer he said something to the effect that he was 'holding me pending the officers arrival.' When the officer finished chewing on the motorist and dismissed him, then I volunteered my SC CWP as I was required to do (since I was armed) had it been requested - which it was not.

The officer was from the even smaller department that the PD I was affiliated with mutually supported.

You decide how my personal anectode fits your (false) continuum. Two personal anecdotes do not data make - or even a hundred.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA-AHSA KMA$$

Marco

imported post

Have you even been approached by a LEO while armed?

YES, A LEO noticed my gun. Daily.
I OC daily since 6/05

YES, A LEO complemented me on my gun. Thrice.
I was OC'ing and carrying a less than ordinary gun.

YES, I was asked by a LEO why I was armed. Once.
Standing in line at Trader Joe's.

YES, I was disarmed by a LEO. Twice.
Both times, I was driving and informed LEO I was armed.

YES,
I was held at gun point by a LEO Once, proned out on the hot pavement.
I wasn't OC'ing but CC'ing, and someone who didn't fit my description happened to commit a crime, LEO fingered me as the possible suspect :?, the victim read them the riot act when she say me.

Edit:
red text

ufcfanvt

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Some here have accused you of trying to poll to show that the LEO community at large is not infringing upon our OC rights. You even mentioned that you would track a running average of LEO encounter severity on a 0 to 10 scale. This supports the accusation in my mind.

It would clear things up quite a bit if you would:
a) State the intention of the poll.
b) What average would you consider to be atrocious? Would you say that an average of 5, indicating that about half of us had been stopped, detained, and/or forced to produce ID w/o being arrested would be acceptable? Would an average of 3 be much better?

hsmith

imported post

I was stopped by a "LEO" as I was entering Dicks, asked if I was a LEO and told I shouldn't OC, even if it was lawful.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The only LEO that has ever talked to me asked... "Don't you know what concealed means?" I replied yes, but I am not required to conceal. He then thanked me for my time and we parted ways.

bohdi

imported post

Burke Lake was interesting, but I don't know it was an entirely bad incident. It could have been worse. Been noticed but never approached by LEO's, last notice was Novembers after VCDL fellowship feed at Fudruckers.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
...What average would you consider to be atrocious? Would you say that an average of 5, indicating that about half of us had been stopped, detained, and/or forced to produce ID w/o being arrested would be acceptable? Would an average of 3 be much better?
The poll options are a bit ambiguous. I assume when it says "had a LEO ask x" it means in a voluntary exchange.

If this is the case, I think up to #5 is acceptable behavior. Between 5 & 6 should be "Unlawfully detained by LEO for questioning" - which would obviously be unacceptable.

Renegade

imported post

Norfolk - Tall Ships 2007 - dragged off as if I were public enemy number one.

Wife was nearly arrested because she...was in a public park?

As our children screamed watching their law abiding father being dragged away and their mother being threatened with arrest - an officer was sure to tell them that "this is all your parents fault, not ours."

LEO 229

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Guess this wouldn't even count since I haven't OCed (in town) due to LEO attitude here in Alabama....they seem to enjoy arresting us for it.:(

I had an off duty officer see my pistol in my car about 15 years ago....he made the duty officers aware of it. Next thing I know, I had a patrol car in front of me and one in back when I came out of the store where I was parked
(friend was waiting in the car, pistol not unattended)...they just checked to make sure I had a Pistol License.
Not a bad encounter I suppose.....no "ill will" etc.
The only other encounter was when an officer that knew me politely pointed out that I was "printing".
Do I get at least .5? :D
You can vote for #2 He noticed your gun. ;)

LEO 229

imported post

les_aker wrote:
longwatch wrote:
LEOs in general miss the entire point. Whether or not a majority of people have been arrested or even questioned is nothing but an attempt to dodge the issue. Even the incomplete list of selections in this poll are not in order of severity.

The issue is really simple. Open carry is legal. There should be ZERO attempts to ask people for identification or to detain them at any time when nothing illegal has occurred. And it is apparent from many of these reports of the police acting improperly that it makes them every upset when someone knows the law and won't play their little game.

Petty dictators abound.
What issue is this poll dodging? This poll is to obtain information on the worstevent thatwas happened based on a limited number of questions. I guess you were expecting something more? I am trying to keep it simple.

I am aware OC is legal. I am also aware that some LEOs do not know this and I have no control over that except to pass the word. You are preaching to the wrong person.

Several questions that start the poll have nothing to do with an attempt to identify or detain the person.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Never =0 and Arrested = 10 for seriousness...

There are only 9 descriptions listed - enough descriptions for a run from 0 - 8.

I have chosen mine.