• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll Question - Your LEO contact while OCing

Have you even been approached by a LEO while armed?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A LEO noticed my gun.

• A LEO complemented me on my gun.

• I was asked by a LEO if I was a cop.

• I was asked by a LEO why I was armed.

• I was asked by a LEO for my Identification.

• I was disarmed by a LEO.

• I was held at gun point by a LEO

• I was arrested for open carry

• Total voters

LEO 229

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
...What average would you consider to be atrocious? Would you say that an average of 5, indicating that about half of us had been stopped, detained, and/or forced to produce ID w/o being arrested would be acceptable? Would an average of 3 be much better?
The poll options are a bit ambiguous. I assume when it says "had a LEO ask x" it means in a voluntary exchange.

If this is the case, I think up to #5 is acceptable behavior. Between 5 & 6 should be "Unlawfully detained by LEO for questioning" - which would obviously be unacceptable.
Do not read into it. You should not assume anything.

This is a simple poll question and you select the best answer as it is written. They are written in a generic manner on purpose.

You start at the top and work your way down till you find the worst that has happened. The order of the list is how I decided for my own reasons.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Need multiple choice for me, and there is no option for being called bad names or being told it was illegal. No called out the chopper either. :celebrate
Seriously though about 4 of those things have happened to me.
A LEO noticed my gun many times, say 10 or more.
I was asked by a LEO if I was a cop. (tonys)
I was asked by a LEO why I was armed, at Tonys and I think at Burke Lake.
I was asked by a LEO for my Identification, at Tonys and sort of asked for it at Burke Lake but not as a demand.
Maybe we can do a multi-choice next time. I will also adda chopper just for you. :lol:

I wanted a quick snapshot of the "worst" that has happened. Next time we can go for what happens the most.

jack

Banned
imported post

Recently someone commented on this board being somewhat anti-law enforcement with the experiences you guys have had I can see why it might appear that way. I have a couple of friends that are cops and they don't do this kind of thing. I asked one about callsover man with a gun and she said she would just go there and walk around see what they are doing. A guy shopping while open carrying would result in her making contact with the store employee (if they called) and that's about it. Once she actually talked the manager of a restaurant out of posting NO GUN SIGNS , "it will just make customers think this is a bad area and your restaurant is a trouble spot."

AbNo

imported post

You left off "asked if I had a permit for OC". ;)

All three of my encounters have been documented here.

One state patrolman while coming back from the range.

"We're just coming back from the range. We're out of ammo."
"Oh, ok." *calls backup anyway* (Not that I mind, or blame him)

Positive encounter.
-------
The Officer Scowly Mc.Grumpypants incident. It was more humorous than he was intending I think, though.

Neutral. Kinda positive, considering the humor value. :lol:
-------

Then there was the following week...

"Do you have a CWP?"
"It's not concealed. "
"Ok, just asking. As long as it's in plain sight."

Positive encounter, I'd say. Just talking to him after we were finished with his business (handing me a yellow carbon-copy) hopefully reiterated that "everyday man" perception of OCers. :)

LEO 229

imported post

BB62 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Pick the highest level you have experienced.

Never =0 and Arrested = 10 for seriousness...

There are only 9 descriptions listed - enough descriptions for a run from 0 - 8.

I have chosen mine.
Was givinga scale from 0 to 10 for demonstration purposes only. ;)

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

My wife and I were eating at Baja Fresh at Manchester Lakes last weekend when 5 uniformed officers came in for something to eat. My wife got a little nervous, all of the officers noticed I was OC'ing, all officers left me alone. I've never been harassed by the police only the general public. Thanks for asking LEO.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Please answer honestly so I can determine what the average contact is with a LEO while you are out packing heat openly.
Everything except your bottom three choices.

If you are going in ascending order of the worst possible scenario, I think being asked why I am armed is worse and far more instrusive than being asked for identification or a permit.

LEO 229

imported post

openryan wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Please answer honestly so I can determine what the average contact is with a LEO while you are out packing heat openly.

If you are going in ascending order of the worst possible scenario, I think being asked why I am armed is worse and far more instrusive than being asked for identification or a permit.
Being asked a questing would be far less intrusive to being asked to provide a physical object.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
openryan wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Being asked a questing would be far less intrusive to being asked to provide a physical object.
Hmmmm... I guess it comes down to personal opinion on this one.

Being asked for Identification and permit by an officer in Indiana is the law, if they ask for your permit you must provide it, and per the LTCF, you must always carry state or government issued identification with the LTCF and provide that as well if asked -- I have never been asked for both on the same occasion.

Since this is the law, I will obey it, and if they have any sort of question at all about my firearm, this would be my ideal answer to give, my permit. They don't need to know why I carry or why I choose a particular mode of carry over another at that moment in time, it is of zero significance.

Honestly, what do they expect me to say to a question such as "Why are you carrying a weapon?" Or "Why are you openly carrying your weapon?" In the past I have answer for personal protection, which is completely truthful. I don't think I am even going to grant these questions with a response in the future.

I find it intrusive for them to ask why I am carrying a firearm, my license is an Unlimited LTCF, so if I wan't to carry it just cause I like how it looks, or for personal protection, or to help keep my pants riding below my belly button, it doesn't really matter.

LEO 229

imported post

For me... it rates right up there with questions like "How are things going today?"

It is an optional question.

Perhaps the LEO have a genuine curiosity and really does want to know why. Not that he is degrading or belittling you for being armed.

Because of that... I find that to be far less offensive than to request someone produce identification.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
For me... it rates right up there with questions like "How are things going today?"

It is an optional question.

Perhaps the LEO have a genuine curiosity and really does want to know why. Not that he is degrading or belittling you for being armed.

Because of that... I find that to be far less offensive than to request someone produce identification.
Point taken, and at one time an officer asked me about my sidearm, didn't want a permit or anything of that sort, but was genuinely interested, in this situations I am okay with this for the most part.

However, when I can tell through their vocal inflection that they are being sarcastic or demeaning or anything of the like, I will not be gracing them with an answer.

LEO 229

imported post

openryan wrote:
Point taken, and at one time an officer asked me about my sidearm, didn't want a permit or anything of that sort, but was genuinely interested, in this situations I am okay with this for the most part.

However, when I can tell through their vocal inflection that they are being sarcastic or demeaning or anything of the like, I will not be gracing them with an answer.
Completely understand that. I think that will go for any situation. It is even better when you play dumb and answer their question and be overly nice. You kinda turn the tables where it is obvious you BOTH know what is going on. :lol:

30 cal slut

imported post

LEO,

I have never been approached by a uniformed LEO while OC'ing in VA.

Will let you know when I do. ;)

mlands

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Need multiple choice for me, and there is no option for being called bad names or being told it was illegal. No called out the chopper either. :celebrate
Seriously though about 4 of those things have happened to me.
A LEO noticed my gun many times, say 10 or more.
I was asked by a LEO if I was a cop. (tonys)
I was asked by a LEO why I was armed, at Tonys and I think at Burke Lake.
I was asked by a LEO for my Identification, at Tonys and sort of asked for it at Burke Lake but not as a demand.

Ditto for me since I was at Tony's as well that evening. That was my only negative experience.

LEO 229

imported post

There will always be a few that have multiple selections. ;)

But out of all the contacts... I wanted to know what was the farthest anyone made it down the selection list.