Thread: VA Man Gets Probation from Maryland

Post imported post

You folks in VA are so spoiled...how do folks in MD get a gun capable of being loaded with 3 magazines?! I want the gun he was carrying! "The weapon was loaded with three magazines, each containing 16 rounds." No jail time for him, but it looks like his Glock is going away for some hard time. Heck, a gun that holds 48 rounds...I bet the cops really wanted to get that off the streets!

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15018512/de...=headlineclick

West of Winchester Va, and Baltimore City

Post imported post

Not to mention breaking MD's 20 round limit on mags. Then again, maybe they were pre-94 mags and were grandfathered.

Post imported post

MD_Tim wrote:
    Not to mention breaking MD's 20 round limit on mags. Then again, maybe they were pre-94 mags and were grandfathered.
    I used to think that mere ownership/possession of magazines with a capacity of greater than 20 rounds was illegal in MD. However...
    http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gcr&4-305
    Maryland Article - Criminal Law - §4–305.
    (a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
    (b
    ) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

I’m not a lawyer, but the above doesn't say anything about the possession ofa magazine with a capacity of greater than 20 rounds. Last year, I even called the Maryland State Police firearms licensing department in Jessup and asked. The Sergeant that answered the phone told me that he owns an AR-15 and he simply travels to gun shows in Delaware to purchase 30-round mags. I asked if that was illegal and of course he said no. I asked if that was skirting the law and he said, well...not really.

I STILL want to see the pistol that can be loaded with 3 magazines

Post imported post

According to the article...bulges at the waist indicate a firearm...

Then how many firearms do they think *I'm* carrying??

West of Winchester Va, and Baltimore City

Post imported post

I frequently visit my family in San Antonio and drag my AR-15 with me. Texas isn't so picky about who can purchase a hi-cap mag, so I keep a few 30 round mags down there. Surprisingly, I had a VA dealer tell me it was against VA law to sell a non-resident a mag >10 rounds. Never checked to see if that was BS.

While your right MD doesn't ban the possession of a >20 rounds. I still think they'd give you grief if it was manufactured after June of 94, the cut off date for the sale/transfer of > 20 round mags. I often wonder what Maryland Class III folks do? I just can't imagine a 10 or 20 round mag in a Thompson.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Ugh! So happy I got the heck out of Maryland as soon as possible. I grew up there and had no idea just how unsafe I was until I was on the outside looking in. YIKES!

It's funny...I just got a new order of ammo and was commenting to my wife that if I were in places with crazy laws (in this case I was referring to New Jersey), just one jacketed hollow point round made me a criminal. Here, UPS delivers 1000 rounds to my door without the SWAT team feeling it necessary to pay me a visit.

In the USA, a man just trying to protect his family. In New Jersey, a dangerous criminal.

Sorry, we're talking about Maryland right? I have a buddy in the MD state police and he just laughed when I asked him how to get a permit there.

You guys got it rough.

Post imported post

Glad to see they didn't completly jack the guy up. I am a native MD'er and go there frequently but always make sure I am in victim status before I leave VA.

The VA dealer is an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

echo6tango wrote:
    You folks in VA are so spoiled...how do folks in MD get a gun capable of being loaded with 3 magazines?! I want the gun he was carrying! "The weapon was loaded with three magazines, each containing 16 rounds." No jail time for him, but it looks like his Glock is going away for some hard time. Heck, a gun that holds 48 rounds...I bet the cops really wanted to get that off the streets!

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15018512/de...=headlineclick
    This:

news

Article Not Available
    The article that you are trying to view is no longer available through this Web site. The content is copyrighted by the Associated Press, which requires nbc4.com to delete its stories two weeks after they are originally posted.

IBSYS.application.Application.setProperty('topixCa tegory', '');
    is why it is appropriate to copy the article into your post.

For those of you who scream that it may violate copyright laws, please understand that it does NOT.

Copying makes it easy for somebody who comes late to the thread can know what everybody else is talking about.

Thanks for listening to my small rant. /rant

stay safe.

skidmark

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Sorry about that Skidmark...here ya go

Man Who Brought Gun To Airport Gets Probation
    ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) ―

A man who took a loaded handgun to Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport during the summer pleaded guilty on Wednesday and was sentenced to six months of unsupervised probation.

Thomas J. Sackie, 45, of Falls Church, Va., pleaded guilty in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to having a handgun on his person without a permit.

Judge William C. Mulford II sentenced Sackie, who had no prior criminal record, to probation before judgment and said he must forfeit the weapon, a 9 mm Glock 17. Sackie had no previous criminal record.

"I'm not going to lecture you," Mulford said. "You know what you did. In this day and age: wrong place, wrong time."

Sackie was walking with his daughter about on Aug. 1 from the upper parking escalator near the D Pier in the airport when a Transportation Security Administration officer noticed "a bulge on his hip that would indicate a firearm," charging documents state.

The weapon was loaded with three magazines, each containing 16 rounds, the documents said. Sackie was arrested, charged and released without bail.

Police did not announce the arrest at the time, but the TSA posted an account on its Web site weeks later to highlight the success of its technique for screening passengers by closely observing their behavior.

Barry H. Helfand, Sackie's attorney, said Wednesday in court, "He recognized it was a mistake."

this one was posted at: http://wjz.com/local/bwi.gun.airport.2.626827.html