• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you say when asked about carrying?

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Often while OC'ing I get a lot of inquisitive looks. The bolder people come up and comment or question me about my firearm/carrying of. Without going into a diatribe about my rights as Virginia resident to OC, I'll gauge whether or not they're for or against before Ibegin to answer their inquiry. Most of my encounters have been positive and often times enlightening for the individual who asks. Often times I'll answer with" I'm permitted by law to carry" which kills the do I have a permit to carry question(which happens to be the most asked.) This will either confuse or satisfy the person long enough to keep on about my business. The "self-defense" answer is good, but I feel it leads to more questions. I don't mind having a conversation about why I carry, the law pertaining to, etc., when I have time. Also, I don't like to just give outaccessible info/advice as to what you can and can't do. Any law-abiding residentcan OC in VA, but you should learn about thison your own to determine whether you trust yourself to carry in public. Any ideas or suggestions?

Marco

imported post

I briefly explain VA law and handthem a Yellow VCDL Gun laws card.
I invite them to check out VCDL's web site.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
I still haven't commited to the VCDL yet. I will eventually. Thanks

Why wait? VCDL is easily the best gun rights and self defense organization in the country. Now that we're going into the legislative session in Richmond, this would be a great time to join the thousands of fellow citizens who already belong.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The bolder people come up and comment or question me about my firearm/carrying of.
Thank them for noticing your fine choice of sidearm and/or holster. Tell them who made it and ask if they want information about how to get in touch with the maker.

I envy you, because it seems most folks who post here complain that they get hassled about OC'ing - sometimes to the point of being threatened with being arrested.

stay safe.

skidmark