• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bloomberg Is Deposed in Guns Case

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mr. Bloomberg spent the day sitting for a deposition in a civil lawsuit, the first time he has done so as mayor. The defamation case against the mayor was brought by a South Carolina gun salesman who claims the mayor spoke ill of him in the press. The deposition lasted the entire workday, and the topics ranged from Mr. Bloomberg's views on the Second Amendment to whether he intended to run for president.
Regarding a possible presidential run, a lawyer for Mr. Bloomberg told him not to state his current plans, but to speak only of his mindset in spring 2006, according to a video of the deposition viewed by The New York Sun.
"I was not planning to run for president then," Mr. Bloomberg said. The 2006 date was used because it was around the time the South Carolina gun dealer, Larry Mickalis, first learned of the statements the mayor made about him, and it is the time frame at issue in the suit.
"I was never at that period of time — in the period I was instructed to be able to answer — considering running for president," Mr. Bloomberg said.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

...and to add...

"At another point, Mr. Pierce asked Mr. Bloomberg about his understanding of the Second Amendment. Over the objection of a lawyer, the mayor responded: "I believe the Second Amendment of the bill of rights gives you the right to keep and bear arms. I also believe courts have held over the years that government does have the authority to limit these rights in situations when the public is in danger. For example, carrying concealed weapons in big cities."
:cuss:

ufcfanvt

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
:cool:Orwellian fact: Bloomberg has a CCW permit.
Your claim is supported by this indirect quote from Bloomy:
He also said he had been handed a gun on one or two occasions at FBI ranges, but could not recall whether he fired it.

This makes it sound as if the only time he handled a weapon aside from his .22 rifle, was at this FBI range. Chances are, it was a weapon of a caliber > .22 LR.

There is NO way you could forget your first/only experience shooting such a weapon.:D

PT111

imported post

I can't recall the first time I fired a gun, of course I was proabably about 5 or 6 at the time. However I think I would remember if I had fired one at an FBI range, I call BS on this.

Tomahawk

imported post

I never fired any guns. All the ones I've seen just jumped up off the table and fired themselves. One of them actually forced a guy to rob a 711. We should ban these evil objects. Right, Bloomie?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Right, Bloomie?

Go easy on the big guy. <sarcasm>

He'smaybe just a member of Alexander Hamilton's commercial class/financial aristocracy who doesn't trust the common people who can bemanipulated by demagogues and ruin his game. Or maybe he's worse.

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Right, Bloomie?

Go easy on the big guy. <sarcasm>

He'smaybe just a member of Alexander Hamilton's commercial class/financial aristocracy who doesn't trust the common people who can bemanipulated by demagogues and ruin his game. Or maybe he's worse.
Worse. At least Hamilton had the balls enough to go out and get shot at by the British army (not to mention Mr. Burr).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jan/12/lowcountry_lawyers_grill_n_y_mayor_civil27393/

Lowcountry lawyers grill N.Y. mayor for civil suit By Schuyler Kropf (Contact) The Post and Courier Saturday, January 12, 2008

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was grilled this week by Charleston lawyers who want to know if he bad-mouthed a Summerville gun dealer.

After a day of questioning, it was clear that pawnshop operator Larry Mickalis — who was present at the deposition in New York City — isn't holding back in his defamation suit against the mayor.

Bloomberg spent most of Thursday answering questions for the civil suit, which New York media said was the first time he has done so since being elected.

In 2006, Mickalis sued Bloomberg and New York City for slander, fraud and emotional distress. The suit was filed after his store became one of more than a dozen sellers across the country that New York sued for allegedly allowing weapons to be sold illegally. No fewer than 49 of Mickalis' guns were used in crimes in New York between 1994 and 2001, Bloomberg's lawsuit contends.

In Mickalis' suit, he denies that he broke any law and says the city did shoddy undercover work in trying to prove he didn't follow federal gun sale requirements via a sting operation trying to expose "straw" purchases of guns. A straw purchase is one in which someone with a legal right to buy a gun gets it into the hands of someone who cannot legally own one.

"Contrary to Mr. Bloomberg's and the City of New York's allegations, Mr. Mickalis ... (sells) firearms in strict compliance with all federal and state laws," says the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified actual and punitive damages.

Reached by phone Friday in New York, one of Mickalis' attorneys said he was surprised by some of the mayor's answers.

"Overall, he knew very little about our client," attorney Justin Kahn said.
The New York Sun newspaper reported Friday that topics during the session ranged from Bloomberg's views on the Second Amendment to whether he intended to run for president. One of Bloomberg's lawyers told the mayor not to state his current political plans, but to speak only of his mind-set in spring 2006, the Sun said after viewing a recording of the deposition.

Bloomberg also was asked about the Second Amendment, and over the objection of a lawyer answered, "I believe the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights gives you the right to keep and bear arms. I also believe courts have held over the years that government does have the authority to limit these rights in situations when the public is in danger. For example, carrying concealed weapons in big cities."

At one point, another of Mickalis' attorneys, Carl Pierce II, invited Bloomberg to have Mickalis arrested if he believed the gun dealer had committed a crime. The mayor did not order any such arrest, the paper reported.

Bloomberg declined the opportunity to apologize to Mickalis, Kahn said.