• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shooting in defense from animal attack.. questions

crtbc

imported post

If I open carry in a neighbor and get charged by a wild animal...be it coyote, javelina, whatever but discharging a firarm is a felony, is it justified and what do you do after you have such an incident?? reprocussions?

drkarrow

imported post

Most discharge laws I have seen have an exemption for lawful self defense.

And in the end it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Dahwg

imported post

Here's your wildlife exception:

ARS 13-3107.9 In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack if a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force against the animal is immediately necessary and reasonable under the circumstances to protect oneself or the other person.

ATCer

imported post

drkarrow wrote:
Most discharge laws I have seen have an exemption for lawful self defense.

And in the end it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

+1

Even if it did get as far as trial, the prosecution would have one heck of a time trying to prove that you were just shooting animals all willy nilly like.

LcCPL fatherdeath

imported post

what about a charging dog.

i live on an acre and a half and i do my yard work in the front yard and yada yada

my question is if a dog (off leash is charging me and barking am i entitled to shoot it?
(using common sense and knowing its not my neighbors poodle or chuawa, im talking bout big ol rottweiler)

TOF

imported post

LcCPL fatherdeath wrote:
what about a charging dog.

i live on an acre and a half and i do my yard work in the front yard and yada yada

my question is if a dog (off leash is charging me and barking am i entitled to shoot it?
(using common sense and knowing its not my neighbors poodle or chuawa, im talking bout big ol rottweiler)

Barking does not constitute reason to shoot. If charging you aggressively then yes.

I have over an acre in the mountains. We have an occasional Bear or Couger wander through, along with other smaller critters. I allow my hound to lay on the front porch unfenced or tethered. She keeps Bear off the porch. She has been known to bark at neighbors out for a walk. She does not however charge them.

I would look very unfavorably at any one that shot at her for simply barking out the message that "This Is My Masters Land"

I have not found it necessary to shoot at either Bear, Couger or Coyote either. I simply watch them pass through.

kashmirsmp

imported post

My neighbors let their big, crazy dogs run wild. I have come home from work around 6 or so in the morning and had them start coming at me. Lucky for them they always seem to know whats best for them, and stop a few feet away. Its the day they don't stop that they will have a problem. The sad part is that I have told the neighbors what will happen, and they don't seem to care.

Rattrapper

imported post

Most states have laws that, any canine "OFF IT'S PROPERTY" that attacks, puts one in worry ,or fear, can be shot. Check your states laws. This most definite if they attack livestock.

Dahwg

imported post

kashmirsmp wrote:
My neighbors let their big, crazy dogs run wild. I have come home from work around 6 or so in the morning and had them start coming at me. Lucky for them they always seem to know whats best for them, and stop a few feet away. Its the day they don't stop that they will have a problem. The sad part is that I have told the neighbors what will happen, and they don't seem to care.
Read my post above. The law clearly says animal attack. A dog, bear, ostrich or elephant no difference under the law.