• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

inadvertent open carry

redmanrt

imported post

I am temporarily living in Florida, but have a Georgia concealed carry license. What happens in Florida if someone realizes that I am carrying because of the lump under my jacket or coat (especially visible when I bend over) and complains. Or when I'm in a clothing store trying on something, and my revolver can be seen for a second or two. Do such circumstances qualify as illegal open carry?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Technically what you have is a Georgia Firearms Licence, not a concealed carry licence (only a tiny difference - you're not required to conceal with a GFL in Ga. :) )

Florida is listed as a reciprocal,,,, reciprical .... has reciprocity with Georgia. so your only worry is if Florida treats inadverdant display or a lumpy shirt as a crime. Someone with much greater knowlege of Florida's laws will hopefully know more about this than me.

redmanrt

imported post

I know that I can legally carry openly in GA, although I would never do it out of a healthy respect for old lady types and liberals who might call the cops. However, in Florida open carry is not legal for normal license holders, not even in their own cars. Kannstübrigens Deutsch? Müsste ich vom Decknamen vermuten.

brboyer

imported post

Nope.

The law states ". . . which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person."

A lump or bulge is not necessarily a firearm.

gary

imported post

I am a cop in FL and can answer this for you.

As long as you see a bulg but can't tell what it is (is that a base ball or a gun?) you are fine.

But if you can tell that it is a gun, you have a problem. However, most cops will understand that it was an accident. But make sure you have a way to back up what you are saying.

For example: I responded to a call about a person carrying a gun in public. When I talked to the guy he said that he had it tucked in his pants and when he bent over it must have popped out a little. Well, I could tell that he was wearing a small tank top and even with him standing straight you could tell what it was. So he had a problem later on that night. If it wasn't for that he would have been fine.

Hope this helps!