• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about library OCing

b1ack5mith

imported post

theres a minuteman meet in SLC tomarrow, and i will be going to the whitmore library http://www.slco.lib.ut.us/whitmore.htmand i was wondering if it is a "federal" building, since the only illegal buildings i can go in are federal. a different library in SLC was one that had NO signs saying the carrying of weapons was illegal, but i still didnt carry. (cant wait to get my Maine permit!)

b1ack5mith

imported post

thank you :D cant wait to OC there :)

(NOT taking the western gunbelt and revolver... that would be grounds for getting a gun pointed at me by a police officer [which IS tempting lol])

dng

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
(NOT taking the western gunbelt and revolver... that would be grounds for getting a gun pointed at me by a police officer [which IS tempting lol])
Please tell me you aren't saying that you want a LEO to point a gun at you.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Gotcha...I have to say, I was worried for a second! :D OCers already get painted as crazy nutjobs, without an OCer saying something like that and being serious.

b1ack5mith

imported post

hahaha trust me, i dont want a gun pointed at me by anyone lol

went to the library and was disappointed to see that it was touching a school, so i had to keep my glock in the car... oh well, no biggy!

b1ack5mith

imported post

tonight i ordered 2 badges from a site that has LE badges and custom engravings, and i remembered seeing the "Geek Squad" associations badges, that say geek squad on them, and i thought that was a great idea, so i custom made 2 badges (50$ a piece) that read

"MINUTEMAN"

"PROJECT"

"T. WHITE"

and in the center is the Utah seal. i thought it was a pretty cool way to advertise that association :D

b1ack5mith

imported post

thanks!!!! i feel ALOT better hearing that for a first response :D

the thought came to me when i was thinkin about the Geek Squad guys at best buy... and then i thought "it would be a fun thing to have our entire organization purchase and carry a badge that represents who we are and allows others to recognize us by what we wear" :D

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm sure you knew it was coming...:D Not calling you out, just giving you my 2 cents; something to think about. I think those badges are a really really bad idea! One of the reasons for OC is the show the public you DON'T need a badge to OC. And I'm sorry, but carrying a badge that doesn't really mean anything and have any authority just sounds like someone on an ego trip who wants to be a LEO. And, yes; it takes you way too close to impersonating an officer. OCers already have the stereotype of vigilantes running around playing cops and looking for trouble, so this seems like you'd jump headfirst into that stereotype.

b1ack5mith

imported post

>Utah Code section 76-8-512. Impersonation of officer.
>
>A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who:
>
> (1) impersonates a public servant or a peace officer with intent to deceive another or with intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act;
>
> (2) falsely states he is a public servant or a peace officer with intent to deceive another or to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act; or
>
> (3) displays or possesses without authority any badge, identification card, other form of identification, any restraint device, or the uniform of any state or local governmental entity, or a reasonable facsimile of any of these items, with the intent to deceive another or with the intent to induce another to submit to his pretended official authority or to rely upon his pretended official act.
>
>Amended by Chapter 210, 1991 General Session

thank you david :D if a cop ever tells me im impersonating an officer, he should read the top line of the badge... "MINUTEMAN"

i plan on wearing it on my belt to advertise for the minuteman organization

xmirage2kx

imported post

I am not a badge fan. I alsodon't like duty belts,fanny packs, FBI hats, fishing vests, BDU's, and other similar things for daily wear. That being saidas long as you maintain the same highlevel ofprofessionalism while wearing these things as you would withoutthen so be it and I won't care if you want to pull a Gecko45and duct tape an extra trauma plate to your bullet proof vest. But if at any point I see you acting like a butt or a cop wanna beprepare to be torn into.

combatcarry

imported post

I've openly carried more at the library than most places. I used to teach hunter education classes at the library in Cedar City... I haven't taught there for a couple of years. I now prefer to teach at myhome.

Nobody ever cared that I openly carried there. I actually carried in all types of rifles, pistols, and archery equipment. I always carried a pistol on my hip to teach safety and emphasize the legality ofopen carryto my students.

When I first started teaching I called the non-emergency number of the Cedar City PD to tell themI'd betaking guns into the library. They acted like I was nuts for calling them so I never called them again.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
<SNIP> I alsodon't like ... fanny packs,
Fanny packs should be illegal! :p Every time I see a dude wearing a fanny pack, I ask what kind of pistol he has. Might as well be wearing a shirt that says "I'm Packin'!"

b1ack5mith

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
I am not a badge fan. I alsodon't like duty belts,fanny packs, FBI hats, fishing vests, BDU's, and other similar things for daily wear. That being saidas long as you maintain the same highlevel ofprofessionalism while wearing these things as you would withoutthen so be it and I won't care if you want to pull a Gecko45and duct tape an extra trauma plate to your bullet proof vest. But if at any point I see you acting like a butt or a cop wanna beprepare to be torn into.

HAHAHAHA if i ever was going to act like a cop, id just go ahead and go be a real one. no bulletproof vests (cause im invincible! lol just kiddin)

SPEAKING of which, do any of you guys REALLY use a bulletproof vest? thats kinda takin it far, but would be a nice idea to keep one in the house incase somethin ever does happen (homeland war, etc)

xmirage2kx

imported post

I used to have one, but someone offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse for an Item I no longer used. I wore it formy job (requirement) and then when I went out shooting with a large group of people (I figured since I had it I might as well be prepared). They are hot and heavy and not worth the time, money, effort, or energy unless there is a reason to have one. If the SHTF at home you will not have time to put it on, and they only stop handgun rounds.

Mr. Magnum

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
HAHAHAHA if i ever was going to act like a cop, id just go ahead and go be a real one. no bulletproof vests (cause im invincible! lol just kiddin)

SPEAKING of which, do any of you guys REALLY use a bulletproof vest? thats kinda takin it far, but would be a nice idea to keep one in the house incase somethin ever does happen (homeland war, etc)
Nope, don't wear one. Although I do have a flak jacket my friend brought backfrom operation Desert Storm. I've kept it hanging in the closetall this time just cuz it's cool.:cool:

Also have Aircraft & Armor recognition cards he gave me around here somewhere too.:)

b1ack5mith

imported post

hahaha kewwwl! i wouldnt wear a vest though, and i meant id keep one in the house for different purposes than home security... i mean home LAND security lol

i wonder what a cop will think when he sees a MINUTEMAN badge on me...