Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raleigh area OC

Post imported post

Hello everyone, I'm a Raleigh resident and I recently started reading these forums. I have begun to OC in the area as well, so I figured I'd introduce myself. Maybe I'll see some of you around.

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO. I'm sure you'll get to know some of the folks down in NC who OC. Happy carrying!

Banned

Post imported post

Welcome to the board. I Live in Clayton and work all over the Triangle. Perhaps we can get a open carry event/ dinner planned soon. All the folks should meet.

Post imported post

I'd certainly be up for meeting some folks from the forums for dinner or another event. Perhaps we could make a topic specifically for that and see who wants to go.

Post imported post

I'm in Charlotte, but I would meet half way. Maybe we can have a shoot.

Post imported post

That will work for me if we meet somewhere like Greensboro. Isn't there a Range there that's good about allowing OC btw? It seems like the ranges I've been to around here don't like that very much.

I'm also still up for meeting locally if anyone is interested in that as well.

Post imported post

Raleigh is a nest of liberal ideology, therefore the RKBA is not overtly welcome.Greensboro is a different story. And yes, there is a friendly range there.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ya know, it stinks being waay out east, I can't just swing out your direction and meet up. I'll be out in Raleigh next weekend, but it'll be on business. I doubt my boss will want to meet up with a bunch of guys with guns .

Welcome to the board, btw!

Banned

Post imported post

Maybe we should plan an event this summer in a Central location of the State. Pick a Saturday and schudule it a few months in advance.A barbecue or something. We all need to get together and we can stand TOGETHER in protecting the right to open carry.

Post imported post

Welcome to the board. I am in Raleigh and have been open carrying for a few years now. It is always a good thing to see someone in the area open carrying as well. I was once seen by a board member at Eagle's on Glenwood, but either they never saw me again or they were not sure about introducing themselves.

Great to meet you.

Post imported post

How would renting out the Blackwater range sound?

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/training/ranges.asp

State Researcher

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    How would renting out the Blackwater range?

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/training/ranges.asp
    That would be cool, but....
    Available for Blackwater Tactical Shooting Courses and Tactical Units renting the facility for sustainment or specialized training except for certain exceptions authorized by the Blackwater Training staff. Tactical area rental includes both shoot houses, the tactical warm-up range.
    Think we'd be able to fit into that category? It might just be fun (and beneficial) to see about setting up a weekend training session with a group discount. It could be a combination of practical self-defense firearms training, as well as some just-for-fun tacticool stuff.

That'd probably be too expensive for most people though, huh? I bet if we did it, and made it affordable, we'd have quite a few Virginians showing up, too.

Post imported post

This works for me, as long as it can be done without too much expense as you said. It sounds not only fun, but also extremely valuable and hard to pass up if we can do it for relatively little. I guess first we need to find out if the price would be something we can reasonably work with.

I like this one, lol:
    4100 sq. ft. Multi-Level, Fully Ballistic Live Fire Shoot House
    • Rated for all pistol, sub-machine gun, and buckshot rounds.
    • Rated for 5.56 frangible ammunition. (All frangible ammunition must be approved by the Blackwater Training Center.)
    • All interior and exterior walls are AR500 fully ballistic (with the exception of the interior doorways.)
    • 35 portable reactive AR500 bullet traps the same rating as the shoot house.
    • High-powered rifle bullet traps are available under special circumstances.
    • Changeable floor plan.
    • 10 exterior entrances.
    • Six different interior and exterior stairwell problems.
    • Fully ventilated for shooter health and safety.
    • Lighting controls for lighted and low light scenarios.
    • Training capable for shooting exterior targets in conjunction with tactical scenarios within the shoot house.
    • Vehicle and waterside approachable.
    • Able to support helicopter operations with multiple fast rope areas.
    • Live fire shotgun breaching capable. (All shotgun breaching ammunition must be approved by the Blackwater Training center.)
    • Explosive breaching capable. (Explosives must be a 1.5 oz. TNT equivalent and authorized by the Blackwater Training Center.)

Post imported post

Actually, I was thinking about using their public range as listed here:

http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20R...nge%20Page.htm

Post imported post

Yeah, I didn't think we'd be able to afford to actually rent that, but I just thought it looked awesome!

I can get breaching ammo for the shotgun and 5.56mm Winchester Ranger frangible for the PLR-16. All we need to do is find somebody with a Helo and some small watercraft. :celebrate

Post imported post

I got the water craft!

Post imported post

That was the biggest internet related failure I've seen in a LONG time.

I was trying to make one post with the photo beneath it, but somehow it repeated itself 3 times as I repeatedly lost and regained my connection to the internet. My fault entirely, but wow!

Attached Images Attached Images

State Researcher

Post imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
    look-uh-what-caym-in-da-mayl

HUH?

Post imported post

this-uh-what-caym-in-da-mayl

Post imported post

this-uh-what-caym-in-da-mayl

State Researcher

Post imported post

woohoo! amonition! I've gotta ask, why the high-priced buckshot and slugs? I was talking to a few guys this weekend, and we came to the general consensus that buckshot is buckshot. I solidified that opinion today shooting at 2-liters filled with water kinda puts things into perspective.

Come to think of it, we had that same conversation regarding pistol rounds. I had been carrying federal hydra-shoks. I went to buy some more this weekend, and they were fresh out, and there aren't any HSTs around here, either. So I ended up buying a box of plain ol' federal hollow-points. Again, the final consensus was a hole is a hole is a hole, and they all make pretty big holes.

Not trying to knock your choice. If money wasn't an issue I'd carry what you've got as well, but that crap gets expensive quick! I'm wondering how much is REALLY gained in performance when you spend that much more, ya know?

Post imported post

Actually the Federal Tactical Buckshot and Winchester Ranger Slugs weren't too expensive at all. The difference with the Federal Buckshot is their "FliteControl Wad." I've read that people are keeping all 9 pellets within the head of a target sihouette at 17yds with a short barrel (Somewhere in the 18.5" or 20" range) Mossberg 500. You can get an 8 pellet as well, which only comes in low recoil IIRC, which puts it out at ~1150fps. The 9 pellet can be LR or full power, ~1350fps I believe, but these are the LR version @ ~1150fps. I like having fewer buckshot pellets in a denser pattern, less chance of a pellet missing, and with the lower velocity, hopefully a missed pellet wont go as far or get through as much. Both the LR Ranger Slugs and Federal LE Tactical Buckshot have been proven in combat. I was reading a nice article about using them in afghanistan and the consensus seems to be that both of these are top of the line shotgun rounds. The Ranger hollow point slugs, even though they're LR, apparently do some horrific damage to organic targets. I figure I don't need any more power, it will just increase the overpenetration potential. The buckshot was $16/25rds and the slugs were $30/50rds.

The 115gr +P+ Winchester Rangers were $18/50rds and the 124gr Hydra-Shok (+P+) and 124gr HST (+P) were about $20/50rds. I paid way less than what I would have for "Personal Defense" ammo of similar quality. Even a 20rd box of gold dots will run ya $20 these days.

I don't think Federal's HST or any +P or +P+ Hydra-Shoks are sold to the public, these were all the "LE only" rounds. The Winchester Ranger's definitely aren't, they're supposedly the third generation of the "infamous" black talon. I can tell you they are awesome though, this round supposedly puts the 115gr reverse taper jacket HP out at 1335fps, with very little recoil and so little muzzle flash I could barely notice it firing at dusk. The Winchester Ranger is some great ammo IMO. If you find a place to order some for a good price, I'd certainly go for it, but you wont find it in a store. :?

Check out the top left corner of the Federal ammo box and the front of the Winchester.

Post imported post

Are those .308's as well? Where is your rifle?

Post imported post

They're 7.62x39mm, so yeah basically the same diameter. It's a box with 500rds of Wolf 122gr JHPs and on top are 20rds of chinese surplus steel core armor piercing on SKS stripper clips (Imported pre-ban). They will be used in an SKS, but it's a friend's. My rifle is a 5.56x45mm "pistol." It usually hangs out with a few 30rd mags of Black Hills 55gr hollow points to keep it company.

Banned

Post imported post

What make of weapon is that ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast