• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you think; what do those "no gun" signs really mean?

What do you think?

• The sign means what it says, no guns.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The sign means nothing to OCers, because the title says "concealed".

• This is just another example of crappy politicians writing crappy laws/titles to sections of the ORC

• Ask a lawyer, I don't know.

• Technically you might get away with it, but I wouldn't do it.

• Total voters

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Am I completely nuts, or do I have something here? The title of this section of the ORC "signage prohibiting concealed handguns. Does that mean technically that I could OC a handgun? But then the sign says "No deadly weapon". What do you think?

2923.1212 Signage prohibiting concealed handguns.

(A) The following persons, boards, and entities, or designees, shall post in the following locations a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form:

“Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.” :

(1) The director of public safety or the person or board charged with the erection, maintenance, or repair of police stations, municipal jails, and the municipal courthouse and courtrooms in a conspicuous location at all police stations, municipal jails, and municipal courthouses and courtrooms;

(2) The sheriff or sheriff’s designee who has charge of the sheriff’s office in a conspicuous location in that office;

(3) The superintendent of the state highway patrol or the superintendent’s designee in a conspicuous location at all state highway patrol stations;

(4) Each sheriff, chief of police, or person in charge of every county, multicounty, municipal, municipal-county, or multicounty-municipal jail or workhouse, community-based correctional facility, halfway house, alternative residential facility, or other local or state correctional institution or detention facility within the state, or that person’s designee, in a conspicuous location at that facility under that person’s charge;

(5) The board of trustees of a regional airport authority, chief administrative officer of an airport facility, or other person in charge of an airport facility in a conspicuous location at each airport facility under that person’s control;

(6) The officer or officer’s designee who has charge of a courthouse or the building or structure in which a courtroom is located in a conspicuous location in that building or structure;

(7) The superintendent of the bureau of criminal identification and investigation or the superintendent’s designee in a conspicuous location in all premises controlled by that bureau;

(8) The owner, administrator, or operator of a child day-care center, a type A family day-care home, a type B family day-care home, or a type C family day-care home;

(9) The officer of this state or of the political subdivision of this state, or the officer’s designee, who has charge of a building that is owned by this state or the political subdivision of this state, or who has charge of the portion of a building that is not owned by any governmental entity listed in this division but that is leased by a governmental entity listed in this division.

(B) The following boards, bodies, and persons, or designees, shall post in the following locations a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: “Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to Ohio Revised Code section 2923.122, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into a school safety zone.” :

(1) A board of education of a city, local, exempted village, or joint vocational school district or that board’s designee in a conspicuous location in each building and on each parcel of real property owned or controlled by the board;

(2) A governing body of a school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code or that body’s designee in a conspicuous location in each building and on each parcel of real property owned or controlled by the school;

(3) The principal or chief administrative officer of a nonpublic school in a conspicuous location on property owned or controlled by that nonpublic school.

Effective Date: 04-08-2004

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.1212

Legba

imported post

Well, it depends in the particulars of the signage. If they invoke "as per 2923.1212 of the ORC" then it would seem that they intend that no weapons be carried. The law says that such signage can be "substantially similar" though. I assume they don't want armed people at all if they bother with any kind of sign. It's just that OC is relatively so uncommon that they didn't anticipate the need to distinguish it from CC. That's how I take it anyway. I'm definitely not up for any more confrontations with the cops about guns...

-ljp

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I agree. I don't plan on OCing past those signs, I just thought it was interesting.

timmy44221

imported post

As long as it only says no CONCEALED weapons, carry till they ask you to leave. This is actualy much like the signs on state owned buildings (such as rest stops), they prohibit by law, CONCEALED carry but NOT OPEN carry.

Then agina that does not mean you will not be wrongfully arested.

There is some amusing disscusion aobut this on the OFCC forums, mainly in relation to their Party in the Park yearly event.

cilcannonvryce

imported post

Am I misinterpreting this, or is my derivation that OC is legal pretty much anywhere. Even on restricted zones? Maybe I misread - its early.

cilcannonvryce

imported post

Well it does say no deadly weapons......hmmmmmmm. Guess I'll lieave the toenail clippers in the car also. Might be another felony charged added on.

Legba

imported post

That's not as far-fetched as you might think. The nail clipper that I had on my keychain was logged as a weapon on the property sheet when I was jailed. They didn't charge me with anything for it, but it's still impounded. I use it to clip guitar strigs, so the thing is way too dull to draw blood under any circumstances. Pretty ludicrous.

-ljp