• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a Chuckle ? School 1967 vs. School 2007

Springfield45

imported post

School 1967 vs. School 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1967 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, and Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called; SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged
with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1967 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD.
School gets extra state funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair
with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1967 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, and goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. US Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against
state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1967 - Ants die.
2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and
gives him a hug to comfort him.
1967 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in a federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is very far from the truth....(not very funny)

Anyone else ?

~~Springfield

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

MadBadger wrote:
This didn't give me a chuckle, this made me angry and sad because this is EXACTLY what America is like today.
+1 ....Sadly, this is what our country has become. This really "hits home" with me because I remember what it was like in '67.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Very true! I had read something similar to this awhile back. It is sad to see what we have become as a nation.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

And by 2008 you will have to have government issued identification. Your papers, please. However, the other side of the coin is that if you are called as a witness or ordered to appear in a Federal court you show up with no ID, what are they going to do? Tell you you can't come in. I bet not. I know alot of Amish, and most of them don't have ID. And they will not get any.

For example, there is no federal law that requires you to have a social security number. The PAPERWORK/PRIVACY ACT statement on the application basically says its its required to receive a benefit. But, the application (form SS-5) itself does not comply with the law. Federal law (PAPERWORK/PRIVACY ACT) says that any federal document that asks for information must tell you 1 of 3 things. The document must state that the information you supply or they request imust either say its voluntary, manditory or required to receive a benefit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It didn't change much from '67 to '77, and even wasn't all that much different in most places in '87 ... it is really only in the last 20 years that the leftists and teacher's unions, but I repeat myself, have fully infiltrated the asylum and ruined the school system. Men used to be men and women were women and men respected them for that. Now women are wimpy men and men are women and everyone loves Oprah and zero tolerance equats to zero common sense or personal responsibility for school management, said management being paid much more than the teachers because of the hard decisions they aren't making anymore. Stupid, stupid, stupid :banghead:

kmcdowel

imported post

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
- Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
- Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair
with the psychologist.

:?

...I'm studying Psychology, so in defense of the field, psychologists don't 'tell clients they remember things.' Shrinks abide by a very high code of ethics, and violations result in license revocation (just like CCW holders). Don't let media psychologists like "Dr." Phil construe your views of a very important profession. Of course this list is meant for humor and is an exaggeration (however slight).

It is very unfortunate the turn our country has taken, probably more so in the last 15-20 years. I don't remember the 60's..or 70's (because I was dead)or really much of the 80's (because I was just a young boy), but I've grown up in rural, conservative areas. Moving topublic universitythat is surprisingly liberal (in the U.P. of Michigan) has opened my eyes to how people think 'these days.'Now beingmy 4th year of college, I get disgusted at the extremely liberal views of professors. Their opinions are their opinions, but naive students put them on a pedestal and believe everything they say, as it mustmust be true and the right way to think. Unfortunately, it seems to be the liberal crowd that is most vocal about their "rights," and the conservatives whom rarely voice their opinion.

Decoligny

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
...I'm studying Psychology, so in defense of the field, psychologists don't 'tell clients they remember things.'SNIP

You are 100% correct on that, they don't "tell" them, they convince them that they remember things.

I have 11 years of college under my belt. My degrees are inPsychology and Business. Psychology is a "soft" science. It is so calledbecause there are absolutely no objective measurements involved. Everything in the field is based on "feelings" and on the subjective interpretations given to those "feelings" by the "trained" psychologist. If you have a disease, you can go to a hundred different doctors, they would run measurable tests, and maybe a few might get your diagnosis wrong. However, if you have a psychological "problem" you can go to ten different psychologist and get fifteen completely different diagnoses and every psychologist would recommend a different type of "therapy", which only they are able to properly administer.

There have been many cases of "Psycologists" using differing methods to uncover "buried memories" which later turned out to be nothing more than the psychologist leading the victim, um patient, down a fantasy path of imagination and then convincing the patient that it means what the psychologist thinks it means.

There is a line in Crocodile Dundee that expresses the absolute strangeness of the concept of having a total stranger work out your problems for you. When Nick was told about a man seeing a therapist he asked "Doesn't he have any mates?"

kmcdowel

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
You are 100% correct on that, they don't "tell" them, they convince them that they remember things.

I have 11 years of college under my belt. My degrees are inPsychology and Business. Psychology is a "soft" science. It is so calledbecause there are absolutely no objective measurements involved. Everything in the field is based on "feelings" and on the subjective interpretations given to those "feelings" by the "trained" psychologist. If you have a disease, you can go to a hundred different doctors, they would run measurable tests, and maybe a few might get your diagnosis wrong. However, if you have a psychological "problem" you can go to ten different psychologist and get fifteen completely different diagnoses and every psychologist would recommend a different type of "therapy", which only they are able to properly administer.

There have been many cases of "Psycologists" using differing methods to uncover "buried memories" which later turned out to be nothing more than the psychologist leading the victim, um patient, down a fantasy path of imagination and then convincing the patient that it means what the psychologist thinks it means.

There is a line in Crocodile Dundee that expresses the absolute strangeness of the concept of having a total stranger work out your problems for you. When Nick was told about a man seeing a therapist he asked "Doesn't he have any mates?"

Sounds like you have something personal against the field, perhaps a repressed memory from being abused by your father is causing all this unconscious anger...you should see a professional. :)

No objective measurements? Perhaps in your 11 years you have heard of behaviorism, which is based strictly on objective definitions of behavior.

Some(many...) people have problems forming meaningful interpersonal relationships; I don't think Dundee would be able to grasp this. Some people don't have any mates.

AAAAAnnnnyyways, how about those open carry laws? I'm considering moving to Florida for grad school, where I will not longer be able toOC :(.

EDIT: oh no...I just saw your interests include debate:shock:. I give up even before you respond.