• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AD

douglama

imported post

This is just for information

A friend of mine came over the other night and asked if I would put his handgun in my safe.

His stepson (13) had found it and started playing with it and it discharged

The revolver was in dads locked bedroom, the boy climbed out his bedroom window, walked across the poarch roof and into dads unlocked window.

He pulled the hammer back about half way and let it go, it struck the round and discharged

It is an old RG .22 revolver

Have a safe day

MD

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Whatever the excuse, still not an "AD". There are no accidents with a round chambered or a key in the ignition or rods latched, but only negligence.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed wher they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

FightingGlock19

imported post

thee's two loaded pistols and one loaded rifle in my house. I've never had an issue with them, because I've taught them the cardinal rules the same way my dad taught me.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now that you have the gun for safekeeping, I hope he beats the living snot (figuratively, perhaps; only mildly literally) out of that kid.

Then teaches him respect for rules.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Clearly an AD on the fathers part......(attention deficit)......at 13, the boy should have already been taught gun safety at the very least :banghead:

expvideo

imported post

douglama wrote:
His stepson (13) had found it and started playing with it...
It's time somebody scheduled a range trip. Obviously this boy has reached an age that he needs to learn gun safety. Being a future voter, he deffinately needs to be taught the truth about gun safety, instead of going through life with theimpression that "guns just go off".

3/325

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
Clearly an AD on the fathers part......(attention deficit)......at 13, the boy should have already been taught gun safety at the very least :banghead:
Agreed.

On the other hand, what can you do with a kid that just won't listen when you ARE trying to teach him? Many of us were, um, "rambunctious" teens who had more rebellion than smarts.

XD40coyote

imported post

Sounds like a really stupid kid to me- locked bedroom so he climbs around on the roof and goes in the window? But I guess I can see his curiosity if his dad never took him to the range and taught him any gun safety. However if his dad HAS done this, then the kid is just plain stupid.

I don't know what it is, but are boys really that stupid? I know they mature later than girls, but geeze. Now I know a boy who is 11 or 12 and he KNOWS gun safety. I about freaked him out when I took my outer flannel shirt off to reveal my XD40 in a shoulder holster here in my taxidermy business. He was with his dad and 16 yr old sister ( she had no interest in the gun btw LOL). The boy gave this look like "OMG that'sa real gun". However this boy hunts with shotguns and muzzleloaders as well as with a bowso I knew he knew all about gun safety, which is most likley why he reacted like he did. I took it from the holster and cleared it, locked the slide back,and let him look at it and hold it- THEN I invited him and his dad to go outside and fire it. They both took me up on it, andI also got out a .45 for them to try out. I had some foam ear protectors I gave them and set a target up at 7 yards.I didn't really have time to go over loading and so on, so I did it all for them and handed them the guns 1 at a time and told them that the XD has a long trigger pull, the 1911 does not, so they knew what to expect. The boy seemed to enjoy it, though he was nervous, but at no time did he violate any safety rules ( if he hadI would have been all over him!). Both of them were good shots too, though the boys nerves got to him and he started flinching with the recoil, but I pointed it out to him and he controlled it. Afterwards the dad was talking about getting an XD45 5"some day, but he is mired helplessly in taxidermy bills LOL

Anyway, the point is that this boy KNOWS what a gun can do( he has seen the deer he has killed, plus the pig he got too), and ANY parent with esp a boy, should when he is maybe 8-9 years old take him out shooting, and earlier than that at least show him what a bullet can do to a melon and teach gun safety to them. I have another customer whos son is 5 or 6 and has already started teaching him gun safety and shooting. I was surprised when he said he let the kid shoot a .38 one day.A .22 I can see for one that young.