• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Flash: VT's VP Hincker now says students who kill themselves are adults

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Kind of odd that good ole' Larry Hincker thinks students are adults on their own when they kill themselves, but too stupid to carry guns on campus to defend themselves (recall Hincker's 2006 commentary in the Roanoke times, "Imagine if students were armed," available at [url]http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/81277[/url], and his gleeful chortles when Del. Gilbert's previouscollege carry clarification bill was killed by the Death Star subcommittee, see http://www.dailynews-record.com/news_details.php?AID=9839&CHID=2).

--

[url]http://tinyurl.com/28ffcf[/url]
At Va. Tech, Near Silence For a Student's Anguished Cry;At least one person contacted Virginia Tech about Daniel Kim
By Marc Fisher
Sunday, January 13, 2008; Page C01

After April, after the shootings at Virginia Tech, this sort of thing should not happen anymore. So everyone thought. But Dan Kim, a 21-year-old Virginia Tech senior from Reston, shot himself in the head last month while he sat in his car in a Target parking lot in Christiansburg, Va. The suicide came after at least one and possibly two students at other colleges had contacted Virginia Tech to say their friend had bought a gun and was talking about killing himself.

"Daniel has been acting very suicidal recently, purchasing a $200 pistol and claiming he'll go through with it," wrote Shaun Pribush, a senior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., in an e-mail to Virginia Tech's health center. "We are very concerned for his safety. . . . please forward this to who can give him the best care."

In addition to Pribush, a student at another Virginia college tells me he called Tech's switchboard in October seeking help for Daniel. A university operator's log shows that a man called expressing concern about a friend, but when the operator offered to transfer the call to the health center, the caller declined. Both Pribush and the other student knew Daniel from online games and IM-ing but had never met him face to face.

Despite promises after the April shootings that the college would be more responsive to warning signs, despite written protocols requiring that any student who makes "any gesture or reference to suicide . . . must be seen by the psychologist on call," no one from Tech's counseling center contacted Daniel.

Instead, the university referred the matter to police, who drove by his off-campus apartment, asked if he was okay and reported back that Daniel said he was fine.

"At that point, that was it," says Virginia Tech's associate vice president, Larry Hincker. "Daniel kind of blew off the Blacksburg police. **This is an adult** who lives off campus, so it's under the police jurisdiction."
. . .

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Despite promises after the April shootings that the college would be more responsive to warning signs, despite written protocols requiring that any student who makes "any gesture or reference to suicide . . . must be seen by the psychologist on call," no one from Tech's counseling center contacted Daniel.
So is he saying adults can't be students? Students can't live off campus? Seems to me if their policy says a "STUDENT who makes ..." these gestures, and they turned it over to the police instead, they've violated their own policy. Certainly hope Daniel's family is aware of this.

sidestreet

imported post

Well, one look at the man (and his statements) should tell you that he's the type that likes to have his cake and eat it too. The problem for us (and those he helps to keep disarmed) is that he's doing a darn good job of it!:cuss:

I never was a Boy Scout, but I'm gonna"Be Prepared", instead of cowering or hiding orrunning scared, because as an American citizen, those aren't supposed to be my only options!