Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCDO e-Postal Pistol Match (2008 1st Quarter)

Post imported post

Howdy!

I've decided to take over organizing and officiating the quarterly OCDO e-Postal Pistol Match to see who is the most accurate long-distance pistol shooter. Since I won the last two and continued to absolutely dominate even after it was over (and still technically have bragging rights), I'll bow-out and not compete this time to give others a chance at fame and fortune! (don't get me wrong, though, I'll still shoot and score targets for myself, but they won't be counted in the competition).

Attached to this post are the rules (the significant rule change is that competitors may submit more than one target).

The target can be found here: http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/bull...inchfade_1.pdf (this target was chosen because it's a little easier to see at 25 yards).

With that, I declare the competition open! Who's the best shot?

edited at 10:55AM, January 15, 2008: added tie-breaker rules

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Cool moved up to general so more might see it and participate.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Cool moved up to general so more might see it and participate.
    Thanks, longwatch! That's where I should've posted it, anyways, since it's OCDO-wide, not just Virginia.

Post imported post

The rules don't address what happens in case of a tie...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    The rules don't address what happens in case of a tie...
    Pistols at Dawn!

Or maybe multiple winners?

Maybe there should be a tiebreaker system: the top tying shooters will then have a month to submit new scores, to be scored the same way? But then that opens it up to another tie. And I'd rather get four quarterly pistol matches in a year, rather than potentially only one with an ongoing tiebreaker.

No, I personally like the idea of having multiple winners. It's all fun and games, anyways =)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

First submitted should work fine.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    First submitted should work fine.
    As in "whoever submitted the winning highest score first"? I worry that such a rule may not be fair, seeing as the submissions are essentially made in-secret--i.e. no one but the submitter and I will know when a submission was made and what its score is, so in the event of a tie, if I were so-corrupt, I could simply say that so-and-so submitted first, even if that weren't the case. And then...earliest submitted? or earliest dated?

Ooh, that brings up another rule change: only targets fired on or after Monday, January 14, 2008 will be accepted. So the target I posted in the other thread yesterday won't count (and I'm not competing anyways =). I will modify the rules and post the new version tomorrow.

Hmm...

I was also thinking that if a tie happened, I could use the shooters' average scores (average of the 3 highest scores?) to determine the winner--in this case, it's who is more consistently most accurate.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The Prize:

The competitor with the highest score will not receive any prize, other than Bragging Rights.
    The winner will be held in great respect by OCDO members.
    The winner may brag about the outcome of this e-Postal match until a new winner is crowned at the conclusion of the next match.

*e-Pistol*, not postal

but it made me lol

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    ...The winner may brag about the outcome of this e-Postal match until a new winner is crowned at the conclusion of the next match.

*e-Pistol*, not postal
    The e-Pistol Postal match. Yup. I'll fix it in the morning =)

Thanks!

edit: no, it's supposed to be e-Postal...

Post imported post

I'll see if I can do better then your shotgun patterns this Wednesday.

:P

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    I'll see if I can do better then your shotgun patterns this Wednesday.

Normally I'd say "Bring it!" but as I've already decided not to compete, I'll simply say "May the best man win. And beat dougwg while they're at it!"

Post imported post

HAHAHA... you rock!

I just wish I could use my bowling pin gun...but it has a compensator and red dot.

My 45/70 has a scope on it

hrmmmm maybe..... my .44 mag or .357....ahwell... we'll see.

Good luck to all! and thanks to kle for running the show!

Post imported post

In a tie, since there's no x-ring on this target, you could always make it whoever's worst shot is closer to the center of the target wins...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    In a tie, since there's no x-ring on this target, you could always make it whoever's worst shot is closer to the center of the target wins...
    Excellent! I like this idea even better than having multiple winners--I will add it to the rules today!

Post imported post

tie-breaking rules and minor grammatical updates have been uploaded to the original post

Post imported post

Need some more sighting in with the .357....ran out of time today.

But I think I won the Bowling pin shoot though

Post imported post

just for grins I was gonna shoot targets w/ my .357 Blackhawk, which I've never been a good shot with (but it's fun to light off a round and find the muzzle pointing straight up), and post the targets. Maybe I'll shoot a target with each of my guns and post them...I'll try to get out to the range sometime today or tomorrow, I think.

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    just for grins I was gonna shoot targets w/ my .357 Blackhawk, which I've never been a good shot with (but it's fun to light off a round and find the muzzle pointing straight up), and post the targets.
    Load it with a nice light .38 special wadcutter, it oughta be a tackdriver...

Post imported post

As promised, here are some targets I shot yesterday as a sample:

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357 Magnum/9mm 4 3/4", loaded with Applachian 148gr .38SPL Lead Wadcutters:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2208657494/

Score: 80 points.

The same Blackhawk, loaded with Remington 125gr .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2208661166/

Score: 76 points.

A Harrington & Richardson "Sportsman" Double Action (older than my grandparents!), loaded with Federal 36gr copper-plated hollowpoints:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2208657262/

Score: 41 ponits--yeah, that over-large cylinder-barrel gap is teh-suck (gotta shoot with my mouth closed to avoid ingesting shaved lead =)

My breadwinner from the last match, my S&W 617-6 6" 10-shot, loaded with Federal 36gr copper-plated hollowpoints:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2208657082/

Score: 85 points. Yup, yup, it can still pull in "decent" scores =). Gotta try out 40-grainers to see if it improves any...

And finally, my Ruger Mk. II Standard 4 3/4", with the same Federal 36gr copper-plated hollowpoints:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kent_le/2207861895/

Score: 86 points. I could've done better, but at this point I'd already been shooting for an hour and a Range Officer had already tapped me on the shoulder and given me the 5-minute-warning two minutes before shooting this, so I put two targets next to each other, sent them downrange while loading up my two magazines, and shot the targets fairly quickly...so this was sort of a rush-job. Oh well =)

I should try this with my uncle's Anschutz 1903...but then it's more a question of "how many times can you hit the bullseye at 75ft?" rather than "can you hit the bullseye at 75ft?" Compared to my 2-lb handguns, though, that 10-lb competition target bolt-action rifle is heavy!

I look forward to seeing your submissions!

Post imported post

Aaaaaand Decoligny has submitted the first target! Thanks!

Post imported post

With just over 3 weeks left in this match, there's plenty of time to shoot and submit. So far, I've had just one submission from Decoligny. Remember, you can shoot and submit as many times as you'd like, and your highest score will be used.

I look forward to your submissions!

Post imported post

WAHOOOO, That means I have a resounding lead. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

I was positive I sent mine in a few weeks ago I'll resend when I get home.

Post imported post

only 3 weeks left.... I need to get my butt moving and shoot some paper...

On a up note, I have won the bowling pin shoot a few weeks in a row

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:I have won the bowling pin shoot a few weeks in a row

[line]

Nice, but pins ain't Bullseye.:P
    Wish one of the local ranges would host one along with a sub-gun match.

[line]

How is the match set up?
    Like the original, Second Chance?
    The ORIGINAL Survival Store In Las Vegas (no longer there,NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH NATIONAL SURVIVAL STORE) hosted a monthly match for yrs, they had 6 (revolver only)and 9 pin matches.

[line]

Guess I'll have to get out the S&W 41 & a box of Federal Gold Ultra Match ammo.

EDIT:
    Can't use my Glock 20 it has a NM fitted Bar-sto barrel.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast