• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO e-Postal Pistol Match (2008 1st Quarter)

kle

imported post

With just over 3 weeks left in this match, there's plenty of time to shoot and submit. So far, I've had just one submission from Decoligny. Remember, you can shoot and submit as many times as you'd like, and your highest score will be used.

I look forward to your submissions!

Marco

imported post

dougwg wrote:I have won the bowling pin shoot a few weeks in a row :cool:

[line]

Nice, but pins ain't Bullseye.:p
Wish one of the local ranges would host one along with a sub-gun match.

[line]

:question:
How is the match set up?
Like the original, Second Chance?
The ORIGINAL Survival Store In Las Vegas (no longer there,NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH NATIONAL SURVIVAL STORE) hosted a monthly match for yrs, they had 6 (revolver only)and 9 pin matches.

[line]

:lol:Guess I'll have to get out the S&W 41 & a box of Federal Gold Ultra Match ammo.

EDIT:
Can't use my Glock 20 it has a NM fitted Bar-sto barrel.:(

kle

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
:lol:Guess I'll have to get out the S&W 41 & a box of Federal Gold Ultra Match ammo.

EDIT: Can't use my Glock 20 it has a NM fitted Bar-sto barrel.:(
Don't you have the original barrel?

Hmm. Stryth brought up a good point when we were examining the Hi-Standard target pistols in a display case during the recent Nation's Gun Show: at these ranges, it's more about the shooter's stability than the inherent accuracy of the gun itself, and some handguns (like the Hi-Standard we were trying to keep drool off of) come with all of the mods (long barrel, barrel-weights, compensators, etc.) stock.

This isn't quite bullseye, in that we can use both hands, and no glass or electronics is allowed. We instead rely on the shooter's ability to focus on the front sight while holding the gun steady with careful trigger-pull, and without any help from the gun itself.

So barrel-weights, with their extra inertia to steady the gun, are out, as are add-on/screw-on compensators or supressors or muzzle-brakes.

Does the Bar-Sto barrel add any mass/weight to the muzzle of the gun? Is it compensated?

I don't really see why compensated barrels (i.e. ones with ports cut into them to reduce felt-recoil and reduce the time needed to bring the sights back on-target) shouldn't be allowed, and indeed the rules don't explicitly or implicitly prohibit them.

Marco

imported post

Don't you have the original barrel?

Yeah.
But would never use it.
It has a unsupported chamber :( and it is ported.
My Glock is the 20C version.
The Bar-sto barrel isn't port/comp'd but it is 5.5 inches long.
However, the rules do say no after market barrels.

Besides the S&W 41 shoots just fine.:lol:
It doesn't have any bells or whistle it is stock 5 1/2 version.
However,I do have the 7 1/2 barrel that is comp'd, but the comp and sight radius are against the rules.

I know it isn't a true Bullseye match but having a gun & ammo combo that is inherently accurate doesn't hurt.;)

kle

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Besides the S&W 41 shoots just fine.:lol:
It doesn't have any bells or whistle it is stock 5 1/2 version.
However,I do have the 7 1/2 barrel that is comp'd, but the comp and sight radius are against the rules.

I know it isn't a true Bullseye match but having a gun & ammo combo that is inherently accurate doesn't hurt.;)
Does the comp add to the sight radius? I'm about to pick up a S&W 41, 7.5" as well, and although I'm not currently competing (though I continue to shoot as if I were--I did 500 rounds using the rules just yesterday), maybe next time I will :p.

Or next time we can open the rules up to include aftermarket stuff like barrel weights and barrels and compensators...and use a smaller target. Which might put it out of reach for some people. The reason for the rules (as I can understand them, since I adapted them from the other e-Postal matches) are to accomodate as many people as possible, while keeping the playing field as even as possible within those contraints. Use what you have, and don't worry about someone else's tricked-out free-pistol--this is, after all, a friendly competition to promote our sport/profession.

That being said, there are definitely stock guns that will be better suited to a match like this than others--I don't think I'd be all that accurate with my snubby Taurus revolver, for instance, whereas last night I only put 3 shots into the 9-ring (the rest were in the 10) using my Ruger Mk II w/ 4.75" tapered barrel/fixed sights (I'll have a scan of it up tonight to gloat ;)).

Marco

imported post

pix113564218.jpg

Similiar to the one I have, except my 7.5 bbl/slide has a holo sight, 1st gen Bushnell.

I imagine if I used my G20 with the Bar-Sto NM barrel no one would complain, especially since I shoot full power 10mm loads.

We might have seen each other and didn't know it @ the NGS.
I ran into Stryth a few times while browsing.

kle

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I imagine if I used my G20 with the Bar-Sto NM barrel no one would complain, especially since I shoot full power 10mm loads.

We might have seen each other and didn't know it @ the NGS.
I ran into Stryth a few times while browsing.
Or no one would know, since this is being run on the honor system ;). But if it doesn't significantly change the weight (probably no more than an ounce, I'd say) or the length of the gun, then I think I'd be cool with it. I might just go ahead and add that to the rules--match/aftermarket barrels that do not significantly change the weight or length of the gun/sight-radius are permitted.

I was with Stryth for maybe an hour or so on Sunday, looking at rifles and T/C Encores and FN Five seveNs and Hi-Standards and such...

kle

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Will probably hit the range on sunday for a practice session.
Which range? I'm free on Sunday (unless I go snowboarding, that is); maybe we could meet up.

kle

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Boarding eh? I'm going to Roundtop Saturday.
I usually go to Whitetail for their longer Blues and Blacks and terrain parks, though Liberty's terrain park is pretty cool, too, and their trails aren't as boringly-straight as Whitetail's.

Hmm (just to keep this on-topic)...snowboarding + open carry...I've CCed and snowboarded before (which was not fun, not least because it was warm and slushy out), but since I have to drive through Maryland to get to Whitetail or Liberty, I usually just do without and trust that no one's going to start something while I'm on the slopes...

Marco

imported post

kle:Blue Ridge Arsenal?

[line]
Sorry I missed your post.

I got some practice in the other day w/ G20 and 165gr DT ammo.

kle

imported post

I just did this today--97 points:

(click for larger)

Folks, I want to remind anyone participating that the deadline for submissions is Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 23:59:59 Eastern Standard Time, just 9 days away now. So far I've still got just one submission from Decoligny (maybe next time I'll get a list of people participating so I can badger them for submissions! :p). A week and change is plenty of time, folks, and you can submit as many times as you want--submit early, and submit often!

Good luck!

kle

imported post

kle wrote:
So far I've still got just one submission from Decoligny...
Spoke too soon! Gotta check that SPAM folder more often. Eyesopened has also submitted a target! That makes two! Two submissions! Ah ah ah! </sesame street count>

Keep 'em coming!

kle

imported post

I know it's sorta late (lots of things transpired yesterday and today to prevent me from having any quality time with my computer), but today is the last day to submit targets for this quarterly match.

So far, I've received targets from:
Decoligny
eyesopened
Stryth

If you've got a target to submit, please send it to kent DOT le AT gmail DOT com (replace "DOT" w/ "." and "AT" w/ "@").

1hr30min left!