• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notice: No swords in assembly building

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
SNIP As for illegally disarmed or turned away. Maybe,but they have banned unlicensed carry without a challenge or having to pass a law, whats to stop them from banning swords? Another issue that has been brought up is if a sword cane is covered under 18.2-308. It could be considered a dirk, which is a dagger but also a short naval sword.

I was thinking more about the LE not havingcurrent authority.

Of course, the part about the various meanings of the word dirk seems to cover it. One of the tidbits on Wikipedia is that some Irish dirks were 21" long. I think the enforcement people would be happy to use that information to declare a sword cane a "like kind" to a dirk.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Uh, so I have to remove the bayonet from my Mossberg 590 when I visit??

okaaaay......
You have a bayonet on your Mossberg? Now THERE is a trench fighting gun!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the gentleman in question is lucky to not have been arrested, however melee weapons that are not enumerated as prohibited in 18.2-308, are kinda a grey area. He might have been able to beat any charges.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I think the gentleman in question is lucky to not have been arrested, however melee weapons that are not enumerated as prohibited in 18.2-308, are kinda a grey area. He might have been able to beat any charges.
Probably professional courtesy since he was dressed as a 19th century sheriff. :)

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP I was actually directing my question to the general assembly building.
No offense, but think about that for a moment.
When somebody says.. "no offense" it normally means... I mean to offend you but do not want you to realize it.

And then.... the question I was asking was not answered so why did you even respond?

That being.. Is there a sign or list of prohibited items that cannot be taken into the general assembly building?

Honest question since I have never been there.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

LEO 229: I do not believe there is a sign posted in the Gen. Assembly Building. I go there several times a year to observe or testify, but I always carry one or two guns with me (don't you love Virginia!) so I don't pay too much attention to any sign prohibiting items! With that said, I can't swear to it....

LEO 229

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
LEO 229: I do not believe there is a sign posted in the Gen. Assembly Building. I go there several times a year to observe or testify, but I always carry one or two guns with me (don't you love Virginia!) so I don't pay too much attention to any sign prohibiting items! With that said, I can't swear to it....

Thanks!

This is why I love Virginia.... :lol:

I had the choice to live in DC or MD... and I chose Va! Yaa!!!

thnycav

imported post

This is what the sword in question looked like. It is a sword that is hidden inside a cane.

Attachments

• sword cane.jpg
    sword cane.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 178

Thundar

imported post

IANAL but as I read the law swords, cutlasses, battle axes, tomahawks and many tasers can be concealed. I think this gentleman was illegally disarmed. What do you think?

ChinChin

imported post

Citizen wrote:

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor...

Ah! The anti-CCW weapon listcreated as a result of the mid 80's Virginia Ninja wars. I always get a chuckle after reading that list. It would have been easierto say "Bladed weapons, bludgeoning weapons, thrown weapons" but no. . .they have to not only single out the nocturnal Asian masters of assassination, but give EVERY ALTERNATE spelling of their tools of the trade.

Our legislators do some funky things upon occasion, but I don’t recall hearing news reports of hordes of attacking Ninja’s which would warrant the list in 18.2-308.

LEO 229

imported post

I always wanted to be a ninja after watching the Octagon with Chuck Norris. Not right that all the cool ninja weapons were added to the list.

273476.1020.A.jpg

thnycav

imported post

Virginia Capitol Police at the General Assembly Building stopped Hughes at the metal detector when he declared his sword, which was sheathed in a leather-wrapped walking cane.

That was the origanal statement, it was not called a dirk. A dirk is a knife not a sword.

Tomahawk

imported post

Thundar wrote:
So, may I open carry my military sword to lobby day?

Maybe, but we VCDL members are a self-defense rights activist group who try to take this stuff seriously. For Lobby Day last year many of us wore ties and jackets. Dressing like you're going to a Renaissance Fair means legislators, reporters, and others will have trouble taking you and your group seriously.Ordinary people who want to defend themselves generally carry pistols, and that's the image you want to convey.

I realize you're probably just musing out loud about theory, not trying to slam you or anything.

Thundar

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Thundar wrote:
So, may I open carry my military sword to lobby day?

Maybe, but we VCDL members are a self-defense rights activist group who try to take this stuff seriously. For Lobby Day last year many of us wore ties and jackets. Dressing like you're going to a Renaissance Fair means legislators, reporters, and others will have trouble taking you and your group seriously.Ordinary people who want to defend themselves generally carry pistols, and that's the image you want to convey.

I realize you're probably just musing out loud about theory, not trying to slam you or anything.

Tomahawk, making comparisons about carrying swords to renaissance fairs is very similar to making comparisons aboutthe carry of handguns to the wild west and cowboys. Isn't thatan anti2A tactic?

To all: The question about carrying a sword on Lobby Day was indeed rhetorical. Please do not get bent out of shape over my question about constitutional carry of arms other than pistols like you did over my Long Gun Open Carry proposal. I intend to open carry my SIG 229 and conceal my S&W J Frame 642. Worry about the Brady Bunch, not me.

I and many other members of VCDL support the right to keep and bear ARMS, which is more than pistols.Tomahawk, your response reminds me of those who conceal carry and bash those who open carry.

From the VCDL Website:

VCDL is a non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians and, most importantly, the proposition that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental Human Right.

I am an honorably retired Officer in the United States Navy. My sword is a Naval Officer's sword. It was passed to me by my father who served honorably for 31 years before me. The sword is named Saint Brendon, in honor of the patron saint of seafarers. It is the most treasuredrelic in my family. It is a prescribed part of the dress uniform for Naval Officers. How exactlywould the carry ofthis honorable relic be inappropriate in the General Assembly Building? (I am asking about carrying the sword as part of my uniform for ceremonial purposes like a Veterans recognition ceremony, not political purposes like Lobby Day. I would never wear my uniform for political purposes.)

thnycav

imported post

No you are missing the point. The sword in question was hidden in a cane. You would not know that it was a weapon until it was pulled out from the cane. During the 1700's Gentleman carryied the sword can for protection without the need to where a sword on a belt. Your saber would be in the open and everyone could see that you are carrying one. I do run into this all the time I do cavalry reenacting and do carry both a saber and a pistol.

Thundar

imported post

thnycav wrote:
No you are missing the point. The sword in question was hidden in a cane. You would not know that it was a weapon until it was pulled out from the cane. During the 1700's Gentleman carryied the sword can for protection without the need to where a sword on a belt. Your saber would be in the open and everyone could see that you are carrying one. I do run into this all the time I do cavalry reenacting and do carry both a saber and a pistol.

I see the first point as: A sworddoes not appear to be acategory of weapon that the Virginia concealed weapons statute forbids to be concealed. IF that is true, then concealed carry of a sword cane would be legal. If the carry of the sword cane is legal, then under what authority did the Capitol Police disarm the man?

The second point I see is: The broader question of firearms v. arms as a right.