• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcycle

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just completed a short Memorial Day trip through part of WV on my motorcycle and OC'd the entire time (from VA West down US 50 to the Clarksburg area). I even stopped and had a conversation with a nice WV State Trooper. He and the hotel manager were discussing the anti-gun groups in DC.

With that said, I did run into one problem at one business. At the end of my 5 hour ride, I stopped at "Buffalo Wild Wings" in Bridgeport, WV (an hour after talking with the WV State Trooper). I ordered some food and watched sports on the TV while waiting. The Manager approached me and the conversation was almost identical to below.

Mgr: Are you a federal agent?
Me: No, I am not.
Mgr: Would you remove your gun and place it in your car?
Me: I'm riding a motorcycle with no way to properly secure it, so that would be irresponsible of me. (no locks on my saddlebags)
Mgr: It would make me and some of my customers a little more comfortable if you would take off your gun.
Me: Sir, you have the right to ask me to leave and I will or I can eat my sandwich when it arrives in a minute and then I'll leave, but I will not remove my gun.
Mgr: You won't remove your gun?
Me: No, you can ask me to leave and I will or I can eat and then leave, but I will not remove my gun.
Mgr: Then I'm asking you to leave.

So, I left and will never eat at that business again.

I have a conceal carry permit, but I was open carrying. I had no intention of concealing nor did I have the right holster with me to do so. I also checked the door/windows when I entered and there were no signs indicating guns weren't allowed. The waiter returned as I was leaving and apologized for his manager's behavior.

Edit to add because I forgot: Blackhawk paddle holster, right hip is my open carry setup. It doesn't interfere with my riding at all.