• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman buys gun and uses it in Self Defense on the same day!

cato

imported post

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=138185

HAMMOND, IN -- An Indiana woman shoots and kills an intruder breaking into her home, and it's all caught on tape by the 911 call she was making at the time.

It turns out the man had been stalking her and she bought the gun for protection.

OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');

The woman, who lives in a townhouse, had been complaining about her former boyfriend for months.

She had filed repeated complaints, said he slashed her tires and engaged in a confrontation at a Legion Hall.

She said that he warned her it wasn't not over yet.

November 12th, the woman called Hammond police saying he was in her yard trying to get in.

CALLER: "I've been having a lot of problems with him... Please."
DISPATCHER: "Ok, they're on their way...Did he come in a car?"
CALLER: "I don't know... He's trying to get in my back door."

As the call continues, the woman pleads with police to hurry as a Hammond dispatcher stays on the line assuring her that officers are on their way.

DISPATCHER: "OK, Can you get to a room with a lock on it?"
CALLER: "Yes I can."
DISPATCHER: "OK, I'm going to tell you when it's okay to come out, okay?"

The woman takes refuge in an upstairs bedroom, then eventually in a closet.

CALLER: "He broke through the window again...."
DISPATCHER: "OK, is he in the house?"
CALLER: "Yes, I think he is."

Two minutes into the call she tells them she is armed.

DISPATCHER: "Does he normally carry weapons at all?"
CALLER: "I got one today."
DISPATCHER: "You got one what?"
CALLER: "I got a weapon today."
DISPATCHER: "OK, A gun? You have it... Is it in the room with you?"

The dispatcher informs the arriving officers that the woman is armed; then, about five minutes after the call began, this final exchange:

CALLER: "He's at the door now."
DISPATCHER: "He's turning the door knob.. okay.. Is that him I hear?"
CALLER: "Yeah."
DISPATCHER: "Is there anything you can put.."
CALLER: "What are you doing??? "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!"..
DISPATCHER: "Okay.. he's in with her!"
CALLER CONTINUES: "STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! Stop it.. (begging) Please stop it..."

The woman then shot the man.

Police said she will not face charges, because she acted in self defense.

hawk84

imported post

Good for her, I can't wait to get my gf her first. She wants to wait until she doesn't have roommates...butwhenever she is alone she says "I wish i had one"

I should just leave my shotgun down there

that story is so right in so many ways

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This woman's story has been on many boards, and the general consensus is that a concerned friend lent her the gun that day; she didn't buy it. In any case, her storyclearly illustratesthe difference between what happens when a would-be victim is armed vs. unarmed. It's not difficult to imagine how this would have turned out had she not had a handgun in that closet.

ufcfanvt

imported post

You know, I believe in the 2nd amendment, but if she had had to wait 5 days to get that Gun, maybe she could have cooled down and helped her ex cool down too and then they would have been able to solve their problems through constructive communication :(

Why the need for violence? ;)

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
You know, I believe in the 2nd amendment, but if she had had to wait 5 days to get that Gun, maybe she could have cooled down and helped her ex cool down too and then they would have been able to solve their problems through constructive communication :(

Why the need for violence? ;)
She didn't need the gun, she was already on the phone with 911. All she had to do was wait for the cops to show up and find her dead. :?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Stalkers tend to high rates of recidivism. I'd hazard a guess that this guy's recidivism level will be zero incidents. Good for her protecting herself after numerous problems. And she apparently shot him more than 5 minutes after the 911 call started.

imperialism2024

imported post

Goes against the "common sense" argument of "who needs a gun the day they buy it?", doesn't it?

Glad to see this 911 call went well. Glad she didn't go off on a tangent about, "I'm gonna kill him! I'm gonna kill him! Hear me racking my slide! He's not gonna get away with this, I'm gonna shoot him!"

ace1001

imported post

The studies in the book, "More Guns Less Crime" show that waiting periods increase the murder rate because those who need guns for protection can't get them, but the man who is insanely angry and wants to kill will just use whatever weapon is at hand. It is the defender who is disadvantaged. He canot choose the timing of the attack. Ace