• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Shoots himself in the Knee

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Goof with a Gun strikes again. Making us all look bad.

I saw this on Wavy 10 this morning, it's not on the website yet. And I just caught the tail end of the story. But it seems that avirginia beach manwas waiting to pick someone up at school, was re-holstering his weapon and it went off (While he was in the school's parking lot??!!?) and shot himself in the knee. He is now charged with having a weapon on school property...

Edit's I found a link that corrected everything for me so now my story is right:pan I'm sticking to it.

Here's a link for the story....

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/man-accidentally-shoots-self-knee-school-parking-lot

:banghead:

OBXFunn

imported post

He was picking up an adult that was at the school after hours, so no kids were in school. He was in he car with his new handgun and when he tried to reholster it, it fired.

OK I understand that he is not the smartest guy but you can legally have your handgun on school property if you remain in your car. They did charge him with having a handgun on school property but not sure how they could do that when its legal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OBXFunn wrote:
OK I understand that he is not the smartest guy but you can legally have your handgun on school property if you remain in your car. They did charge him with having a handgun on school property but not sure how they could do that when its legal.

To be legal you need to have a CHP. Understand that the news article says nothing either way about that, but my guess is that he did not have one.

stay safe. And keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

skidmark

bayboy42

imported post

Man accidentally shoots his own knee outside school
BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW

757-928-6479

7:36 AM EST, January 15, 2008

VIRGINIA BEACH

A man accidentally shot himself in the knee while trying to put his firearm into a holster outside a Virginia Beach elementary school on Monday afternoon.

Police say Michael Jenkins, 23, was sitting outside Bayside Elementary School while waiting to pick up a school employee. He was attempting to place his pistol in its holster when he accidentally fired the gun, shooting himself in the knee.

He was transported to a local hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Jenkins has been charged with possession of a firearm on school property.

Copyright © 2008, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Storyillustrating that holstering and unholstering are one of the premier times for NDs.

LOOKS LIKE FREELIGHT BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH WITH AN ARTICLE FROM ANOTHER LOCAL MEDIA OUTLET.....LONGWATCH CAN YOU MERGE?

Marco

imported post

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

As used in this section:

"Stun weapon" means any device that emits a momentary or pulsed output, which is electrical, audible, optical or electromagnetic in nature and which is designed to temporarily incapacitate a person.

(1979, c. 467; 1988, c. 493; 1990, cc. 635, 744; 1991, c. 579; 1992, cc. 727, 735; 1995, c. 511; 1999, cc. 587, 829, 846; 2001, c. 403; 2003, cc. 619, 976; 2004, cc. 128, 461; 2005, cc. 830, 928; 2007, c. 519.)

ufcfanvt

imported post

OBXFunn wrote:
... he tried to reholster it, it fired.
I don't like being a word-Nazi, but he fired the weapon. Accidents don't happen, ND's do. I hope the dumb-ass is OK and the judge is lenient :uhoh:

Be careful out there everyone :lol:

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
So I guess it begs to be answered, by why was it out of the holster in the first place?

I bet you he was board waiting on the wife, took it out and was playing with it..:banghead:

Then, as skid says... boooger hook in front of the bang switch as he put it back in his holster...

betch anythingthe Dumbass called 911 himself!!! and says.. I just shot myself!! while still sitting in the parkinlot of the school...

cmg266

imported post

ya he does make the rest of us look bad. and I agree it begs the most obvious question... what was it doing out of its secured holster?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

cmg266 wrote:
ya he does make the rest of us look bad. and I agree it begs the most obvious question... what was it doing out of its secured holster?

There's a pretty easy answer to that one. Granted, this is all speculation, but maybe he doesn't have a CCW permit, so he had the handgun in the passenger seat to avoid concealing it in the vehicle. When he went to pick the person up, he had to move it out of the seat, so he re-holstered. Or maybe he just set it in the passenger seat so it would be more quickly accessed in case of an emergency.

Anyway I don't think we should be so worried about him making us look bad. This could honestly have happened to ANY of us. Was it his finger on the trigger? We don't know. It could have been a pen that fell into the holster, or a zipper pull on his jacket. IF that was the case, then it would have indeed been an AD.

Things like this are always going to happen. That is why it's so important to always be aware of the condition of your weapon, and always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

cmg266

imported post

yes this is very true. I was just assessing the seemingly obvious situtation. A good investigator questions everything. Your right this could have happened to any of us who dont carry a glock :D. The glock supposadly can not fire unless the trigger is pulled, but I dont buy that its bound to flaw at least once.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

cmg266 wrote:
yes this is very true. I was just assessing the seemingly obvious situtation. A good investigator questions everything. Your right this could have happened to any of us who dont carry a glock :D. The glock supposadly can not fire unless the trigger is pulled, but I dont buy that its bound to flaw at least once.

It could have happened even if it was a glock. I'm not gonna bother digging for the cite, but I read about the rigid nylon pull-strap on a guy's jacket sliding through the trigger hole as he reholstered. As he applied pressure to lock the weapon into the holster, the strap caught on the holster and pulled up on the trigger...BOOM. This could also happen if so much as a pen cap or a twig happens to slide in there.

Thats why, for some people, weapons with external safeties, and grip safeties are preferred. My main carry has no external safety, but I almost always visually check my holster before re-holstering to make sure there's nothing that's going to cause problems.

LRS76251

imported post

Even with a permit, both the permit holder and the firearm must stay in the car and the gun must stay concealed while in the car. You can't have the gun visible in the vehicle while on school property. So, regardless, the charge appears valid based on what was stated in the news report. This guy made a very stupid mistake and now he's facing a class 6 felony. Stupid is as stupid does. :banghead:

CaptainCharles

imported post

cmg266 wrote:

Perhaps he had it out of holster to satisfy the "plain sight" rule of va car carry??

Just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.......

LEO 229

imported post

Not supposed to be playing with it... rub it the right way and that darn thing will just go off!

I recall two MPs in the Army. One was goofing of with his gun and shot a hole in the windshield.

They decided that to cover up the damage they wouldshoot at the windshield from outside. They reported that they had been fired at but two "other"guys who got away while they returned fire.

They could not explain why they were not killed with round striking the seats they occupied. Then... why the only brass found was from their guns.... and in front of the car.

They eventually confessed when the story did not work.

It would have been better for one to just be honest and take the slap on the hand for the accident instead of the two being charged with intentional destruction. :p

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Not supposed to be playing with it... rub it the right way and that darn thing will just go off!

snip
It would have been better for one to just be honest and take the slap on the hand for the accident instead of the two being charged with intentional destruction. :p
:lol:Such a perv....

Like I tell my Daughters... I don't care what the boy says... he's lying. And that thing will just go off...

This is my Rifle this is my Gun, this is for Fighting and this is for fun...

I know I know Longwatch.. I'm off topic... sheeeesh.

sidestreet

imported post

DreQo, you are dead on target!!! When I teach class, I include a demonstration about holstering, and show just how easy it is to inadvertently get to trigger break on a Glock if your not careful when holsteringby using a ball point pen, and stress that it could also represent anything of similar size and strength that could get into the trigger guard. Regardless of any so-called "safety", we stressthat any "safety" is a mechanical device that can fail, be modified, or bypassed as to be come completely ineffective, and it should never be substituted for the three basic rules of safe gun handling.

I also stress that whenever you holster a firearm, you generally have plenty of time to do so in a safe manner. Whenever you have time, take that time, do it properly. As for LEOs or related occupation , that may not always be the case, but most of us don't have to apprehend and cuff perps at gunpoint, and we generally don't reholster until the threat has been completely dealt with. Usually, if you are at the point that you can safely holster, you also have the time to do it properly and safely.

When the threat is over and it is time to holster, it's okay to look down at the holster, make sure the gun is going where it's supposed to go, angle the muzzle slightly away from your body while carefully sliding the gun into the top of the holster. I use my thumb and forefinger (always outside of the trigger guard, along the frame) to keep my grip, while the other three fingers also extend from the grips to then cover the the entire outside of the trigger guard in order to prevent anything from getting inside the trigger guard while pushing the gun down into the holster.This still does not offer much protection from the thumb side of the trigger guard, and that is exactly why it is so important to take your time, whenever you have the timeto do itproperly and most importantly, SAFELY.

As fora "safety" device, the best "safety" device is your brain... much depends on how well and how often you use it.