• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Valleyride Bus System

IndianaBoy79

imported post

From Valleyride.org
While on board the bus, we ask that you observe a few courtesies to make your bus ride easier, safer and a more pleasant experience for yourself and other passengers.
What you cannot do:
1). Smoke or drink alcohol
2). Board through the rear door
3). Refuse to pay the fare
4). Litter
5). Use profanity, or engage in disruptive behavior
6). Threaten or harass the driver or other passengers

What you cannot bring aboard:
1). Open food or drink containers
2). Flammables (such as gas cans)
3). Weapons
4). Strollers, grocery carts, etc. that are too large to fit between the rows of seats
5). Animals (except service animals) that are not in an approved container that can fit on your lap

What you should do:
1). Wear shirts and shoes
2). Listen to music only through headphones and keep the volume low enough so other riders can't hear it
3). Remain seated while bus is in motion (when possible)
4). Keep your feet off the seats
5). Keep your hands, arms and head inside the bus. Do not shout out the window.
6). Respect fellow riders - no loud talking with passengers or on your cell phone!

No refunds or replacement bus passes for purchased, lost, or stolen passes.
Funding used for the majority of planning and administration costs for Valley Regional Transit(VRT) is being provided through the City of Boise, Capital City Development Corporation (CCDC) and the Community Planning Association (COMPASS). In addition, the VRT Board of Directors approved a dues structure that will supply on-going funding for planning efforts and two staff members.
Funding for operations and capital/maintenance primarily comes from three sources - federal grant monies, fare and advertising revenues, and voluntary contributions from the governing bodies for geographical ares that receive service.
In order for a viable coordinated public transportation system to exist in the Treasure Valley, and to expand the existing system into a true regional public transportation system, additional funding sources will have to be found.

Does preemption apply here? It seems to me they use our tax dollars and appear to be contraced directly by the city of Boise to offer a public service. I am waiting for a reply from the Attorney General and from Valley Ride. Let me know if anyone is interested in testing this out with me.

Saint

imported post

My Poli Sci professor last semester is the guy in charge of Valley Ride. From comments he made about his job, it seems that Valley Ride is a private entity that contracts to Boise City. I believe this means that they would be able to disallow firearms if they wanted. I am not entirely sure though so we may need to start an inquiry.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

From what I can tell, Saint, it is a private company. But because it uses tax dollars and is contracted by the city to offer a service on behalf of the city, I believe they have to follow the same laws the city of Boise must follow when offering a public service. I have already written a small letter to Valleyride and to the Attorney Generals office. I'll let you know what kind of reply I get.