Thread: Self Defense or Defense Laws

Post imported post

On some different threads I have read in different from different states has made me wonder. Where can I find and learn about the laws pretaining to self defense or in the defense of others for the state of Utah. I would like to know what the laws say I can do in a situation where either my life of someone elses life is in danger.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Search for the Utah Code in Google and you'll find it. The applicable statutes are under Title 76 (Criminal Code), Chapter 2. Sections 402-408 givern use of force and deadly force in defense of self, persons, habitation and property.

Banned

Post imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
    On some different threads I have read in different from different states has made me wonder. Where can I find and learn about the laws pretaining to self defense or in the defense of others for the state of Utah. I would like to know what the laws say I can do in a situation where either my life of someone elses life is in danger.
    Such laws comprise about 1/2 of the required Utah CCW course. (The other half is devoted to off limits locations and a cursory check of safe gun handling techniques.)

Attending a course from a reputable instructor would be very valuable for anyone who carries--and even many who don't--regardless of whether you were going to obtain a permit right away or not. Not only will a good instructor cover statute, which is easy to find on the Utah web page, but s/he will also be up to date on court decisions (precedence), administrative rules, as well as some of the common police/prosecutor procedures to expect in a defensive use of force situation.

I don't know whether the course has an "expiration" date between when you take it and when you apply for a permit. But I should think many instructors would work you some kind of deal to let you sit in on a course now and then officially take the course just prior to applying for a permit on or after your 21st birthday if you wanted.

Charles

Post imported post

Mitch Poncho Vilos will be coming out with a book on Utah Self-Defense Laws sometime in the future.

Post imported post

Thanks for all the information. I am actually taking the class at rangemasters on the 23rd so I can get my Maine permit. I am not 21 yet and figured i will get what i can.