• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Times article

heresolong

imported post

The Times included this paragraph in their article about a supposed increase in violent crime by Iraq war veterans.

"Decades of studies on the problems of Vietnam veterans have established links between combat trauma and higher rates of unemployment, homelessness, gun ownership, child abuse, domestic violence, substance abuse — and criminality. On a less scientific level, such links have long been known."

I highlighted what I found to be the most interesting part of the paragraph. What on earth is wrong with gun ownership that it gets lumped in with unemployment, homelessness, child abuse, domestic violence, substance abuse, and criminality. For those of you who won't admit that there is a left leaning bias in the major media, how do you explain this quote?

PavePusher

imported post

This is currently being de-bunked (i.e., the Times is getting fed their rectum for lunch) all over the internet blogs and on Fox News about 45 minutes ago (0245ish). Don'tlooseany sleep over it.

But, as a servingmilitary member, thanks very muchfor your concern!

heresolong

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
This is currently being de-bunked (i.e., the Times is getting fed their rectum for lunch) all over the internet blogs and on Fox News about 45 minutes ago (0245ish). Don'tlooseany sleep over it.

But, as a servingmilitary member, thanks very muchfor your concern!
The problem, of course, is the (decreasing) number of people who only get their news from reading the Times. Powerline blog has quite a thread about it. Glad to hear Fox News jumped on them.

As an ex member of the military, you are welcome.

expvideo

imported post

As a civilian with no desire to serve in the military, thank you both for your service. It is because of you that I have the choice to not serve, especially now when we are at war. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be given that choice. No matter what anyone says, you are fighting for my freedom, just by being in the armed forces.