• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pleadings: Parker [Heller] v. District of Columbia, et al. Gura & Possessky, P.L.L.C.

Thundar

imported post

The very interesting brief is the one from the states that claims that the 2A does not apply to them. ... Does the 14thA incorporate the 2nd?;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
The very interesting brief is the one from the states that claims that the 2A does not apply to them. ... Does the 14thA incorporate the 2nd?;)

Not yet. Thats a big question that hasn't been answered yet. Its never been addressed in that light.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No. The pro-gun briefs are not due for some time yet, like a month as I understand it.
Oh, thank God. I didn't know that there was an order to the filing of these briefs. I was gonna say, I thought there were a hell of a lot more pro gun people than anti.

sjhipple

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
No. The pro-gun briefs are not due for some time yet, like a month as I understand it.
Oh, thank God. I didn't know that there was an order to the filing of these briefs. I was gonna say, I thought there were a hell of a lot more pro gun people than anti.

Yeah, me too. That worried me. Thanks, Doug.

I'm still fuming about the DOJ brief.

Allen

imported post

Just a recap, for those that aren't familiar with how the Court does things.

Just before the Court annouced its grant of cert, the opposing attorneys were called in to a special meeting with some of the Justices. It was agreed that there would be lots of organizations that would want to file briefs in this matter. It was also agreed that a limit of 20 amici (friends) for each side (this was posted at scotusblog for a few hours, then pulled).

It appears that D.C. took all comers. I say this, because none of the amicus briefs actually deal with the question as posed by the Court. They mostly continue to hammer away at the "collective" rights theories.

It is now Gura and Levy's turn to submit their answering brief (due on Feb. 4th). It is also rumored that they will not only pick and chose who to allow to file a brief, but what their content will be (what arguments they may make). These are due within 7 days after the responding brief is filed.

Sources close to the NRA reveal that they are having reservations in filing. It is not often that the NRA is told what they can say and what not to say. They may balk at this. shrug. That is the power that Gura and Levy are wielding. They are basicly saying that if you want to file an amicus brief in this case, you will play by our rules or you will not play at all.

Anyway, D.C. will have one more chance to submit an answering brief, which would be due within 25 days of Hellers brief (Feb. 29th).

Oral arguments will be scheduled after that (usually within 2 weeks, unless that calendar month is already filled). According to the Supreme Court Calendar, Orals (for March) will be held on the 17th, 18th, 19th, 24th, 25th or 26th of March. The decision will most likely be published in late June.

So that's the time frame of what is expected to happen.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

from the brief filed by the pediatrician's union

[align=left]aCCORDINGLY, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE sECOND[/align]
[align=left]aMENDMENT PROTECTS THE RIGHT TO POSSESS GUNS FOR[/align]
[align=left]PRIVATE PURPOSES, FOR THE REASONS DESCRIBED BELOW, AND[/align]
[align=left]BASED ON THEIR COLLECTIVE INTEREST IN PREVENTING HANDGUN[/align]
[align=left]INJURIES TO CHILDREN AND YOUTH NATIONWIDE, aaP, sam,[/align]
[align=left]¢dF, fiaGff, AND ffia! RESPECTFULLY URGE THE ¢OURT TO[/align]
[align=left]REVERSE THE DECISION OF THE ¢OURT OF aPPEALS FOR THE[/align]
dISTRICT OF ¢OLUMBIA ¢IRCUIT.
Let me translate.

We admit it is a right respected by the constitution but we want the court to decide its ok to eleiminate that right.