• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Need Of A Little Advice

What is the best firearm for her

• Taurus pt24/7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kahr CW9

• Millinum 9mm

• Glock 23

• XD 9mm

• Total voters

T.Hooks

imported post

I went to the range today. On my return home i am greeted by my wife who says "Baby sit down, we need to talk." As most of you can agree i wasnt to happy about this. so i sit down and she starts talking most of it was about.......... something i wad just agreeing for the most part. She had taken a deep breath and said. "Im tired of you leaving all the time and bringing that thing with you. You leave me here unprotected and im tired of it. I want to get a gun and go with you when you head to the range. I instantly jumped up and carried her to the car.

We went to the local gun shop and a few pawn shops to look for something for her. at first she pointed to a XD 45 and said that one looks like it will drop someone instantly, dont you think daddy. At that time all the guys turned and looked. i almost popped wood... i told her that she needs to work her way up to a 45 but we can look at the different calibers that the XD comes in. so after about a hour she narrowed it down to the Taurus PT 24/7, XD 9mm,Kahr CW9, and the Millinium 9mm (cant remember the model) and a Glock 23. I dont really know whats the best gun for my little lady because i havnt shot any of them. so i was looking for advise from the great folks on here. Keep in mind that she is about 5'7 165.This firearm will be a daily carrier probably in her purse. Hell id love to get her to keep it on her waist. But any advise on these side arms would help.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

what make/model/caliber do you have??

the glock 23 i would rule out, because it's a .40S&W and as my sister would say "it's too snappy, jason!" (this coming from the same girl that loves to shoot my sig 229 in .357sig) :banghead:.

Im not going to play the "this gun is better than this gun" bit, however i would suggest you rent some of these and let her decide which she prefers.

For work and OC(80% of the time) i carry a glock model 22, for the other 20% of OC i carry a SIG P229 Elite or my S&W Model 19 .357. And depending on my mood/pants i can CC all of those without any problem.

Has she given any consideration to revolvers? My baby sister is getting married in march and I'm considering getting her a firearm as a wedding present. I am leaning towards a revolver with some crimson trace laser grips because of the simplicity aspect. I hope that i was of some help. :)

Happy Carrying,

Jason

T.Hooks

imported post

i have a s&w sw40ve. its a 40 cal for those who arnt familiar with it. she said it felt too bulky and didnt like it so i never pressured her to shoot it in fear of her hitting the roof of the range down here. as far as renting some the only gun shop i know of that rents guns in in atlanta and we are in albany. 3 hours difference. She is a pharmace tech. so i doubt CVS will let her OC. but if you notice all the guns listed are 9mm

DT4E31

imported post

Yep. Let her handle the guns and if possible shoot them first. Whether you can rent it at a range or have a friend who has the same model. Of course you could just buy them all :celebrate

expvideo

imported post

Rent them. Besides, you may be surprised and she may like the .45 more than the 9mm. My first pistol was a .45.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

T.Hooks wrote:
i have a s&w sw40ve. its a 40 cal for those who arnt familiar with it. she said it felt too bulky and didnt like it so i never pressured her to shoot it in fear of her hitting the roof of the range down here. as far as renting some the only gun shop i know of that rents guns in in atlanta and we are in albany. 3 hours difference. She is a pharmace tech. so i doubt CVS will let her OC. but if you notice all the guns listed are 9mm
Glock 23 is a .40 S&W...did you mean a glock 19?

revolver? yes, no, maybe?

T.Hooks

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
T.Hooks wrote:
Glock 23 is a .40 S&W...did you mean a glock 19?

revolver? yes, no, maybe?
no my friend. i have a smith and wesson 40 cal. model sw40ve. google it for an image.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

T.Hooks wrote:
I went to the range today. On my return home i am greeted by my wife who says "Baby sit down, we need to talk." As most of you can agree i wasnt to happy about this. so i sit down and she starts talking most of it was about.......... something i wad just agreeing for the most part. She had taken a deep breath and said. "Im tired of you leaving all the time and bringing that thing with you. You leave me here unprotected and im tired of it. I want to get a gun and go with you when you head to the range. I instantly jumped up and carried her to the car.

We went to the local gun shop and a few pawn shops to look for something for her. at first she pointed to a XD 45 and said that one looks like it will drop someone instantly, dont you think daddy. At that time all the guys turned and looked. i almost popped wood... i told her that she needs to work her way up to a 45 but we can look at the different calibers that the XD comes in. so after about a hour she narrowed it down to the Taurus PT 24/7, XD 9mm,Kahr CW9, and the Millinium 9mm (cant remember the model) and a Glock 23. I dont really know whats the best gun for my little lady because i havnt shot any of them. so i was looking for advise from the great folks on here. Keep in mind that she is about 5'7 165.This firearm will be a daily carrier probably in her purse. Hell id love to get her to keep it on her waist. But any advise on these side arms would help.

they are all not 9mm this glock 23 is a .40S&W (name of the cartridge) i am not contesting what your gun is, however i was refering to your previous post and you stated that all the guns listed were 9mm.

sccrref

imported post

Try the Glock 19. It is a compactsize, conceals pretty good, hold 15 +1, isfairly light even loaded, very little kick and with night sights does pretty good. My wife shoots mine andlikes it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Have her try them out. If she can't get all these exact models, have her choose by caliber and barrel length, then find one that fits her hand and points properly (doesn't droop the front sight when she holds it up to aim).

At 5'7 and 165 (I used to be there), my favorite was a 1911. Don't rule out the .45 automatically.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

sccrref wrote:
Try the Glock 19. It is a compactsize, conceals pretty good, hold 15 +1, isfairly light even loaded, very little kick and with night sights does pretty good. My wife shoots mine andlikes it.
I agree totally. The Glock 19 is a great gunfor male or female. My girlfriends hates shooting my XD-40, but really enjoys the Glock 19. She is really small about 5, 2" and 105 pounds. The 9mm is a little easier for her to handle and plus the grip is smaller. She has little hands. I don't know if she is going to be carrying or not. So you might want to take that into consideration.

T.Hooks

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
T.Hooks wrote:

they are all not 9mm this glock 23 is a .40S&W (name of the cartridge) i am not contesting what your gun is, however i was refering to your previous post and you stated that all the guns listed were 9mm.
well my friend isincerlyappologise.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I have to recomend a Glock 19. It's light, easy to control, low recoil and easy to maintain.

Take her to the range and have her handle a variety of the rental guns. Then have her pick 2 or three that she is most comfortable handling and rent them - put about 100 rounds through each and have her make up her mind.

It's not a decision to be taken lightly, but aproached the right way it can be a wonderful bonding experence.

67390FE

imported post

Let her try the .45. My bride is a little smaller than you described yours to be and does not like to shoot my Ruger P91 .40 because of its bulk, however, her Detonics Combat Master .45 fits her hand and she loves it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the last year or so I observed as 3 of my friends' wives across 3 states, learned to shoot, take their CCW training and pick out firearms. I know that all of the weapons you mentioned (except the Millenium), and several others, were considered and tried out by the three ladies over a 6-9 month period. They all tried various calibers including .38spc, 9mm, .40 and .45. All three of them, independently as they don't all know each other, chose an XD9 sub-compact for their personal self-defense weapon. Two of them purse carry primarily, the other holsters on her belt. Now, all that wonderfulness being said, my girlfriend, also a novice shooter, borrowed one of those lady's XD 9 s/c's and doesn't like it at all and doesn't shoot very well with it either. So, in my world, 75% of novice women shooters (and 100% who CC) preferred the XD9 s/c as their personal, daily weapon.

The only opinion I will offer is that I would not suggest a Glock for a woman who is going to carry in a purse UNLESS, she is going to purchase a purse specifically designed for concealed carry which includes a built in holster or mounting point for a holster AND she is someone who keeps a well organized purse.

2nd_to_one

imported post

T. Hooks,

I didn't vote in the poll as I think that the selection of which gun to get for your wife should be largely hers, after all you want her to have one that she is comfortable with and enjoys shooting. I haven't seen any other post suggest this web site, http://www.corneredcat.com/so I will. This web site is put together by a very knowledgable woman and is specifically targeted to women's concerns about selecting a gun, carrying a gun, etc. It is a good source of some real-world considerations and information.

On a slightly different note, I would second (or third) the opinion not to rule out the .45 ACP automatically. I own a Ruger P944 in .40 S&W and a Taurus PT145 Mil Pro in .45 ACP. The Taurus is actually less aggressive in it's felt recoil even though it is a compact, polymer frame versus the Ruger's full-size, alloy frame.

Good luck and have fun!

Steve

XD40coyote

imported post

165 and 5'7 sounds like she can handle the bigger caliber stuff, so I think a nice cute lil Glock 29 with the orginal hot 10mm loads would suffice. Also consider a s and w .500 snubby.

naw..... maybe the XD9, sounds like she maybe likes the look and feel of an XD if the first gun she gravited to was the XD 45? Tell her that this woman ( me)5'5 and should weigh 165 if I could lose my blubber, can fire a snappy XD40. I can also handle a 1911 just fine too, in fact they and the XD40 feel about the same recoil wise.

I bought an XD9 sc in case I ever want to carry concealed. Living almost on the PA border, the FL nonres permit entices me. I haven't fired the fool thing yet, stupid people are making me wait 2 weeks to pick it up. I hate Maryland's gun laws and stupid state police fax machines!

jbowers24

imported post

The glock probably wont fit her hand correctly. The grip is just too big. I've yet to see a woman who could comfortably grip the glock.

My girlfriend loves her Bersa thunder 380cc. Women want something they can fit in their purse and doesn't recoil harshly. I won't get into caliber opinions here, but 9mm is generally a popular caliber for women.

Of your choices the XD would be my recommendation. If she's new to guns the various safety" features may appeal to her. A chambered glock may not be the best option for a person new to firearms...

T.Hooks

imported post

here is an update.

we went to the range a few hours ago.i didntthink she was actually going to go through with it. so i gave her a quick over view on everthing and a few tips.and no lie her first shot went right through the center of the head. it also came with a scream. the next shot was with the same scream but went straight through the heart. the next shot.... with the same scream went through the eye. Keep in mind these were her first three shots in life. So i was in the background grinnin from ear to ear:lol:. and the folks at the range all turned and looked.:shock:After her nerves went down and the adrenelin stop flooding through her body she kept shooting. she went through 24 rounds before her nerves started getting to her and i had to stop her because she was hanging the trigger. she said the 40. cal had too much kick for her and her wrists were sore as hell. so im now thinking about getting her a 9 or maybe 380.

jbowers24

imported post

T.Hooks wrote:
here is an update.

we went to the range a few hours ago.i didntthink she was actually going to go through with it. so i gave her a quick over view on everthing and a few tips.and no lie her first shot went right through the center of the head. it also came with a scream. the next shot was with the same scream but went straight through the heart. the next shot.... with the same scream went through the eye. Keep in mind these were her first three shots in life. So i was in the background grinnin from ear to ear:lol:. and the folks at the range all turned and looked.:shock:After her nerves went down and the adrenelin stop flooding through her body she kept shooting. she went through 24 rounds before her nerves started getting to her and i had to stop her because she was hanging the trigger. she said the 40. cal had too much kick for her and her wrists were sore as hell. so im now thinking about getting her a 9 or maybe 380.

9mm's in short barrels are snappy! I used to own a Kahr PM9 that was worse than my glock 27 (.40).

Good story, great shootin on her part.