• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything new of which to be aware in the Crystal City area?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

High all. I've enjoyed several visits to Northern Virginia over the last few years and have enjoyed my ability--both legal and cultural--to carry my self-defense firearm while in your fair Commonwealth. I haven't been there for a while, however, and with the demise of some other forumns have not kept up on the legal, social, or cultural happenings as maybe I ought to have.

Within the next month I will again be visiting the Crystal City area and wanted to double check for any advice or heads up on legal or cultural changes that might affect my ability--legal or practical--to CC or OC in that area. I generally CC, pursuant to a Utah (resident) permit, under a flight jacket until I enter a restaurant at which point I remove the jacket to OC as per the alcohol limits.

I have had complete non-experiences with no indication that anybody even noticed at the Crystal City Legal Seafood, McCormick and Smicks, etc on previous visits. I've never had anything but a perfectly acceptable experience checking my firearm in my luggage at both Reagan National and Dulles for my flights back to Utah.

Any reason to consider a change of plans on my next, impending trip?

Thanks.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might want to consider taking your jacket off before entering the restaurant:

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
That's picky, but it's what the law says.

Other than that, Crystal City isn't one of the places that's been beset by idiocy lately. No bad stories that I've heard. Might get dicey if you were to step onto property leased by the federal government, but I wouldn't let it stop me. You're not me, though (and you should thank your lucky stars :lol:).

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Tess wrote:
You might want to consider taking your jacket off before entering the restaurant:

§18.2-308 (J.3.): No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

Other than that, Crystal City isn't one of the places that's been beset by idiocy lately. No bad stories that I've heard. Might get dicey if you were to step onto property leased by the federal government, but I wouldn't let it stop me. You're not me, though (and you should thank your lucky stars :lol:).

Thanks, Tess.

I look forward to me next visit.

soloban

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Tess wrote:

Thanks, Tess.

I look forward to me next visit.
I'm familiar with the Gov't leased property in around Crystal City. You'ld have to make an effort to step onto that property. Typically it would involve passing some form of a manned check point with and ID and guard. Or they may just lease a few random floors of a building.

If you're just headed to the resturants and such you should be fine as long as you OC when you enter a resturant that serves alcohol. Enjoy NoVA

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

My thanks to both of you.

I recently returned from this trip. While my work schedule included long hours in DC that prevented very much carrying, I did enjoy a very nice evening at Crystal City's McCormick and Schmick's while in possession of my firearm.

I simply lifted my leather flight jacket up and tucked in behind my firearm just before entering the restaurant and then removed my coat entirely as I sat down.

With the Glock carried against a black polo shirt, I'm not sure anyone even noticed. But one way or another, no problems at all except for over-eating. :p

On another note, I finally persuaded my boss to bring his gun along on this trip and so he carried in Virginia (also pursuant to his Utah CCW) for the first time ever.

Thanks again.

Charles