Thread: Washington State Caucus

Post imported post

I have a question. As this is my first year as a voter in Washington state I am new to this whole "caucus" thing. My district's pooled caucus location is at a middle school on the weekend. Would this be considered a place that guns were "banned"? If so I find this highly convient for the state to legally disarm voters. Input? Advice? Anyone else in Kitsap county going to Ridgetop Junior High on Feb. 9th 2008?

Post imported post

YES. A K-12 school is always a K-12 school.

Alas.

Post imported post

RCW 9.41.280 prohibits possession of firearms in areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools.While this might sound like you could carry to the caucus (an activity not an exclusive use of the facility by the school), according to the attorney general's interpretation of the statute, a school is a school at all times if it is under the exclusive control (ownership) of the school.

Check out this link, to an AG Opinion from 1994:

http://atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?secti...ve&id=9238

I don't necessarily agree with their interpretation of "while being used exclusively by public or private schools." I think that the legislature probably intended that as an allowance for non-school events such as the caucus, or hunter safety classes, or other public events where a CPL holder might carry. But, I don't want to be the test case.

The law does allow you to secure your weapon in your vehicle should you choose to do so, because you are in the school building on "legitimate business."

Post imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    RCW 9.41.280 prohibits possession of firearms in areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools.While this might sound like you could carry to the caucus (an activity not an exclusive use of the facility by the school), according to the attorney general's interpretation of the statute, a school is a school at all times if it is under the exclusive control (ownership) of the school.

Check out this link, to an AG Opinion from 1994:

http://atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?secti...ve&id=9238

I don't necessarily agree with their interpretation of "while being used exclusively by public or private schools." I think that the legislature probably intended that as an allowance for non-school events such as the caucus, or hunter safety classes, or other public events where a CPL holder might carry. But, I don't want to be the test case.

The law does allow you to secure your weapon in your vehicle should you choose to do so, because you are in the school building on "legitimate business."
    The portion of the code you quoted only applies to non-school property that is being used exclusively by schools. If it is school property then you are not allowed to carry at all, except for a few circumstances. The law is very specific about carrying on and inside school property. There are only a few on these boards that fall under the exemptions given under section 5.

9.41.280 states;

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

(5) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

What joeroket said: it's that pesky "or" in there.

Post imported post

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) Any student or employee of a private military academy when on the property of the academy;

(b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school district security activities;

(c) Any person who is involved in a convention, showing, demonstration, lecture, or firearms safety course authorized by school authorities in which the firearms of collectors or instructors are handled or displayed;

(d) Any person while the person is participating in a firearms or air gun competition approved by the school or school district;

(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW9.41.070 or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060while picking up or dropping off a student;

(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or

The law is clear. You may legally secure your firearm in your vehicle while you are in a school building on legitimate business.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Personally I'm voting by mail.

Post imported post

I'm dropping off my ballot at the local QFC and OC'ing while I do it.

You should check your voter's pamphlet, it usually lists a lot of non-school ballot drop-offs in your area.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

I'm not talking about the Primary Election but the caucus voting that is on February 9th.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Many people do not realize that Washington is a Caucus state. The primary is not binding on either party.

In fact, the democrats refuse to even acknowledge the primary as ALL of their delegates will be selected at the Caucus's.

The Republicans will select half of their delegates at the Caucus and the other half from the results of the Primary.

Post imported post

Can you help me find some information on how and where to participate in the caucus?

Post imported post

expvideo wrote:
    Can you help me find some information on how and where to participate in the caucus?
    http://www.wsrp.org/Calendar/Detail.aspx?EventID=8679

http://www.wsrp.org/About/Default.aspx?SectionId=157

Check your county's website for more specific info.