Thread: question on va firearm law

Post imported post

Well first off i'm new but not new to firearms as i've been hunting my whole life.

My question pertains to purchase and possesion of a handgun, i read that you must be 21 to purchase from ffl dealer but 18 to purchase from a private seller in a face to face transaction. Any truth to this? This means that i (18 years of age) can own a handgun: correct? this would also lead me to believe I can OC. Am I correct in this?

Ilive in hamptom roads if that makes a difference... thanks in advance

josh

Post imported post

What you say is correct. What you cannot do is go to a gun store with a buddy that is 21, have him buy for you, and the buy it from your buddy. That would be a straw purchase, which is illegal.

You also will not be able to buy via Internet (Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com), as sellers will deliver the hand gun to an FFL Dealer. The dealer will only transfer to somebody over 21.

Bulletin boards at shooting and hunting clubs are a good source of firearms for sale in the local community.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Here is a question, i am also in virginia, in the midlothian area, i am 18, and i was wonderingi if my stepdad buys my gun, and gives it to me.....would it still be registerd to him, or can the registration be transferred over to me.

I have been around firearms since i was 6, and teach firearm safty courses, so i am very trusted and responsible with them.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
    SNIP Here is a question, i am also in virginia, in the midlothian area, i am 18, and i was wonderingi if my stepdad buys my gun, and gives it to me.....would it still be registerd to him, or can the registration be transferred over to me.
    There is no firearms registration in VA.

There may be problems with your approach. I'm not sufficiently familiar to say. I'm only addressing the registration aspect.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

There is no firearms registration in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you are 18 or older, you may possess a handgun by law provided you aren't a prohibited person. However, you cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer unless 21 or older. Same applies to handgun ammunition. You must be 21 or older to buy handgun ammunition. Long guns can be purchased by anyone 18 or older who is not prohibited by law from doing so. Your dad can give you a gun as a gift. There are no restrictions on that unless the person receiving the firearm as a gift is a prohibited person.

Post imported post

Yesi knew that, but ive been wondering lately if god forbid anything ever happen, i dont want him being at fault.

Post imported post

i understand not getting a friend to buy a firearm but how about ammo can i give him/her money to buy ammo for me legally?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
    Yesi knew that, but ive been wondering lately if god forbid anything ever happen, i dont want him being at fault.
    Just don't fill out any paperwork yourself and submit false ID. The uncapitalized i's will give it away.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

reelrebel18 wrote:
    i understand not getting a friend to buy a firearm but how about ammo can i give him/her money to buy ammo for me legally?
    That is fine.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    KnightSG7 wrote:
    YesI knew that, butI havebeen wondering lately if god forbid anything ever happen,I dont want him being at fault.
    Just don't fill out any paperwork yourself and submit false ID. The uncapitalized i's will give it away.