• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question on va firearm law

reelrebel18

imported post

Well first off i'm new but not new to firearms as i've been hunting my whole life.

My question pertains to purchase and possesion of a handgun, i read that you must be 21 to purchase from ffl dealer but 18 to purchase from a private seller in a face to face transaction. Any truth to this? This means that i (18 years of age) can own a handgun: correct? this would also lead me to believe I can OC. Am I correct in this?

Ilive in hamptom roads if that makes a difference... thanks in advance

josh

Thundar

imported post

What you say is correct. What you cannot do is go to a gun store with a buddy that is 21, have him buy for you, and the buy it from your buddy. That would be a straw purchase, which is illegal.

You also will not be able to buy via Internet (Gunbroker.com, AuctionArms.com), as sellers will deliver the hand gun to an FFL Dealer. The dealer will only transfer to somebody over 21.

Bulletin boards at shooting and hunting clubs are a good source of firearms for sale in the local community.

KnightSG7

imported post

Here is a question, i am also in virginia, in the midlothian area, i am 18, and i was wonderingi if my stepdad buys my gun, and gives it to me.....would it still be registerd to him, or can the registration be transferred over to me.

I have been around firearms since i was 6, and teach firearm safty courses, so i am very trusted and responsible with them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
SNIP Here is a question, i am also in virginia, in the midlothian area, i am 18, and i was wonderingi if my stepdad buys my gun, and gives it to me.....would it still be registerd to him, or can the registration be transferred over to me.

There is no firearms registration in VA.

There may be problems with your approach. I'm not sufficiently familiar to say. I'm only addressing the registration aspect.

LRS76251

imported post

There is no firearms registration in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you are 18 or older, you may possess a handgun by law provided you aren't a prohibited person. However, you cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer unless 21 or older. Same applies to handgun ammunition. You must be 21 or older to buy handgun ammunition. Long guns can be purchased by anyone 18 or older who is not prohibited by law from doing so. Your dad can give you a gun as a gift. There are no restrictions on that unless the person receiving the firearm as a gift is a prohibited person.

reelrebel18

imported post

i understand not getting a friend to buy a firearm but how about ammo can i give him/her money to buy ammo for me legally?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
Yesi knew that, but ive been wondering lately if god forbid anything ever happen, i dont want him being at fault.
Just don't fill out any paperwork yourself and submit false ID. The uncapitalized i's will give it away. :)