• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting New Mexico, Planning on Open Carrying

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Hello everyone from the Lone Star state. Being a Texan, I can't open carry but I would very much like to experience it. I will be going to El Paso this weekend and I thought about driving the 45 minutes or so to Las Cruces, New Mexico. I'm going with my Kimber 1911 in a Serpa II with 2 extra mags.

Besides the stupid law that you can't open carry into any store that sells alcohol for on or off premesis consumption (gas station, grocery store, etc.) is there anything else I should look out for during my first OC experience in NM?

I mean obviously the places like courthouses,schools,govt buildings etc are off limits.

Anyone had any experience with open carry in Las Cruces?

Where are some good places to OC there? I'm probably just going tobe there for the afternoon.

Here's my carry rig if you're interested:

img0599xl3.jpg

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I live in El Paso and sometimes go to Las Cruces, but I'm not sure about OC-ing in NM and going to a gas station with a convenience store,staying at the pumps but NOT going into their conveniencestore where alcohol is sold...

Still trying to find out about this, if OC-ing is okay at the pumps or not.

I often go to Las Cruces --usually on my motorcycle -- but am not sure about OC-ing on the premises of a gas-station even ifI do NOTgo into the store (i.e, I "pay the pump" and then just leave).

Sorry stupid laws decent citizens have to sort out whereas criminals don't even have to bother!

Can't tell you about restaurants, coffeeshops and such...I go to Village Inn there in Las Cruces (the Lohman and Telshore location just north of I-10 @ Lohman) but don't know their policy on this issue...don't recall seeing any signs at the door.

...I'm still trying to figure out the law re: OC-ing in NM, going to a convenience-store gas station, staying at the pump but NOT going into the store where alcohol is sold, paying-the-pump and leaving...if that's legal when OC-ing.

I don't know.

-- John D.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I live in El Paso and sometimes go to Las Cruces, but I'm not sure about OC-ing in NM and going to a gas station with a convenience store,staying at the pumps but NOT going into their conveniencestore where alcohol is sold...

Still trying to find out about this, if OC-ing is okay at the pumps or not.

I often go to Las Cruces --usually on my motorcycle -- but am not sure about OC-ing on the premises of a gas-station even ifI do NOTgo into the store (i.e, I "pay the pump" and then just leave).

Sorry stupid laws decent citizens have to sort out whereas criminals don't even have to bother!

Can't tell you about restaurants, coffeeshops and such...I go to Village Inn there in Las Cruces (the Lohman and Telshore location just north of I-10 @ Lohman) but don't know their policy on this issue...don't recall seeing any signs at the door.

...I'm still trying to figure out the law re: OC-ing in NM, going to a convenience-store gas station, staying at the pump but NOT going into the store where alcohol is sold, paying-the-pump and leaving...if that's legal when OC-ing.

I don't know.

-- John D.

Yeah, as you found out in the other thread, Section 6 covers that :)

http://dps.state.nm.us/lawEnforcement/ccw/docs/HB0588final.pdf