• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stalker broke into the wrong house.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why can't anything be just cut and dried. She says one date with the guy and the family says "girlfriend" and she attended a family funeral. Something is wrong with the story somewhere. It will be interesting to see if she is charged and how this plays out.

swillden

imported post

I clicked on a couple of "related video" links and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPofRQdREyU

Assuming it's real, it's pretty funny.

Not well-handled at all by the guy in the beemer; driving out into the woods was a really bad move if the guys in the pickup were armed. IMO, his best move would have been to drive to a police station or even just a shopping mall or some place where there were a lot of people.

Still it was funny.

Flintlock

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
...the police won't show up till AFTER you've shot the BG? At least, that's how it is in my house.
That is hilariously worded. I immediately had a scene play out in my head of whiterabbit on the phone:

Hello, Sgt O'Mally? Yeah, it's me, WhiteRabbit. I got another one... No, not the dining room. It was in the library with the revolver... Who the hell is Colonel Mustard? What? ... Oh, ahaha... No I didn't call you first.... Why not? You never show up until after they are shot. ... No you haven't, not once. ... Yeah, well I figured this time I would just not waste time making the phone call... Ok, ok, next time I'll call first but you know your guys aren't going to show up until after I shoot the BG. That's how it is...

Sorry, WhiteRabbit, no offense intended, but that just started bouncing around my head as soon as I read your comment and I started to LOL.

:lol:

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swillden wrote:
I clicked on a couple of "related video" links and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPofRQdREyU

Assuming it's real, it's pretty funny.

Not well-handled at all by the guy in the beemer; driving out into the woods was a really bad move if the guys in the pickup were armed. IMO, his best move would have been to drive to a police station or even just a shopping mall or some place where there were a lot of people.

Still it was funny.
The best part was the ending...(not that I agree with what he did...)
"Your keys are at the end of the road...In the sewer!" ROFL :celebrate

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"It's just so shocking for such a gentle person to die in such a violent way,"

Even "gentle people" can be capable of anything, including extreme violence towards others. I know from personal experience that you can do crazy/scary things when you are stressed-out about something.

-- John D.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MustangDave wrote:
I read about this on another site a couple days ago and found this audio yesterday. Now I can't find the thread about it. It's chilling listening to it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OkS8mdbml0A
This should be required listening for all wives, girl friends etc.
People have got to take responsibility for their own safety.
Yata hey

unreconstructed1

imported post

in my opinion, the family of the attacker should really just be told to shut up. yes, they lost a loved one. a loved one who:

1. had kicked in someones door and ehtered their house illegally
  2. was attempting to inflict bodily harm upon another person
  3. was found dead inside the home after trying to strangle the victim even after he was shot.
It really doesn't matter if tehy had dated once or If they had dated for 15 years. after it was broke off, he had no right to attempt breaking and entering and endagering the ife of an innocent person. she clearly tells him several times in teh 911 recording to leave. supposing that he didn't live there, and had no legal right to be there, after the first time he should have left. after that, he was , and had every right in the world to be, a dead man walking...

LongRider

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I think you guys are being a bit too hard on the dispatcher, from the context, the "lets not be rash" statement was made before he began pounding on the door. So it looks more like a case of the dispatcher wanting her to stay in the room and not go hunting for him, which would be the best option (at this point, it wasn't even sure whether he knew she was home or not).
Why would locating him in her home be a bad idea? First thing I do when I hear a noise in my home is, listen, grab my tools and find out what it is. Locate the source determine if it is a threat and eliminate the threat if need be. He has already established that he was a threat by his previous conduct and the fact that he had broken into her home. It would be a good thing if he did not know she was home, gives her the tactical advantage. Instead she is locked in a room with no idea of what he is doing or where he is. Wouldn't it have been better for her to wait behind cover by the window he was breaking into and terminate the threat as soon as she had a clear shot? Or positioned herself behind cover where she could see him come up the stairs and taken her shot from safety. My concern is had he been armed or had decided to torch the house the story may have had a very different and tragic ending.

Pointman

imported post

Related articles (I found them really interesting, and thought I'd share):

Sourced from: http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/11/15/news/top_news/doc03135c1e27e2e7038625739400154bf6.txt

11/15/2007 Ryan Lee Bergner was a "gentle" and "kind" man, and his family "can't even believe" he would break into a woman's house and try to hurt her, his sister-in-law said Wednesday night. "It's just so shocking for such a gentle person to die in such a violent way," said Becky Bergner, who is married to Ryan Lee Bergner's brother. "He did not go there that evening to hurt her, as far as the Ryan that we know."

Bergner's family doubts the version of Bergner's final minutes told by the woman who shot him to death Monday night, Becky Bergner said. Family members hope the investigation continues, she said. Police have said they forwarded their reports to Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter. Carter could pursue charges against the woman or decline to seek charges, essentially finding the shooting a justifiable homicide.

The 51-year-old woman told police she heard Bergner break a window at her house in the 6900 block of Tennessee Avenue in Hammond's Hessville neighborhood. She called 911 and an operator told her to lock herself in her bedroom. She ran upstairs, grabbed a 9 mm pistol given to her by a friend earlier that day and hid in the closet, she said. When he opened the closet door and moved toward her, she fired three times, she said. He choked her before he lost his strength, she said.

Officers found Bergner, 41, wearing black leather gloves, sprawled out in the bedroom. Bergner, of the 3000 block of Crane Place in Hammond, was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m. Monday at a local hospital.

The woman previously reported Bergner to police for allegedly trying to kick in her door, bothering her at work and possibly slashing her vehicle's tires.

Bergner's family is "having a hard time processing that or believing it," Becky Bergner said. "Ryan was a very, very kind person, a very giving person," she said.

The woman who shot Bergner said Tuesday afternoon she went on one date with Bergner. She said she "didn't want anything to do with him" because of "his temper."

Bergner and the woman were more involved than the woman said, Becky Bergner said. Bergner's family members met the woman, Becky Bergner said. The woman came to Bergner's father's funeral as Bergner's "girlfriend" a few months ago, Becky Bergner said. The woman was "not a fake girlfriend," Becky Bergner said. "They were dating. There was a relationship there," she said. "He was very fond of her." He told family they recently broke up, but were planning to remain friends, Becky Bergner said.

The woman who shot Ryan Lee Bergner did not answer phone calls Wednesday night.

If Ryan Lee Bergner had any diagnosed mental illnesses or substance abuse problems, Becky Bergner did not know of them, she said. Ryan Lee Bergner graduated from George Rogers Clark High School in Hammond, Becky Bergner said. He worked at a local American Legion post. He was divorced from a first wife.
--------------------------------------------------

Sourced from: http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2007/11/14/news/top_news/doc2477a38bddd9419c8625739300045d17.txt
11/14/2007 In a bloody climax to months of terror, an accused stalker was shot to death Monday night by the unwilling object of his obsession after he broke into her Hessville home, police said. Ryan Lee Bergner, 41, of the 3000 block of Crane Place in Hammond, was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds to his abdomen shortly after 10:30 p.m. at a local hospital.

His death marked the end of an escalating sequence of violent acts against the 51-year-old woman. It began with a single date in June, she said. "I didn't want it to turn out like this," the woman said Tuesday afternoon while removing yellow police tape from the back of her house in the 6900 block of Tennessee Avenue.

Just hours before, the woman was watching television in her living room when she heard Bergner break a bathroom window near her back door. She called 911, police said. The emergency operator advised her to lock herself in her bedroom until police arrived, and she ran upstairs to do so, retrieving a pistol given to her for protection by a friend earlier in the day.

Bergner already had broken into her house through a back window over the weekend, destroying a clock radio and stealing several of her undergarments, she reported to police Saturday. Police records show Bergner also had tried to kick in the woman's front door a week earlier after accosting her at her job and being ejected from the business by her co-workers. He also was suspected of slashing her Jeep's tires on at least two occasions, police records show. "This isn't over yet," Bergner told her Nov. 3, according to police reports of the incident.

Hiding in her closet on Monday night, the woman said she heard Bergner enter the bedroom, then watched as he opened the closet door. She said she told him to stop, but he kept coming. She fired the 9 mm semiautomatic three times. "I was shaking so bad, I didn't think I'd hit him," the woman recalled Tuesday afternoon. "He just kept coming." Now in the closet with her, Bergner grabbed the woman's neck with both hands and began choking her, she said. "And then he just stopped," she said, finger-shaped bruises still visible on her throat 17 hours after the struggle.

Police found her in her front yard when they arrived moments later, and they found Bergner -- wearing black leather gloves and a brown leather jacket -- lying partially in the bedroom closet, On the bed nearby was a Walther PPK pistol.

On Tuesday afternoon, detectives still were searching the Crane Place home Bergner shared with his brother for evidence. They declined to comment.

The case is expected to be presented today to the Lake County prosecutor, who could choose to file charges against the woman or deem the shooting justifiable homicide.

Bergner had not been charged over any of the half-dozen previous complaints made against him because, as misdemeanors, the responsibility rests with the victim to seek charges with the prosecutor in Crown Point, and she apparently had not done so.

"We only went out on that one date," the woman said Tuesday. "I got a look at his temper, and realized I didn't want anything to do with him. But he wouldn't take no for an answer."

Sourced from: http://www.legacy.com/nwitimes/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=97932138

Obituaries 11/15/2007

RYAN LEE BERGNER HAMMOND, IN Ryan Lee Bergner, age 41, of Hammond, IN, passed away Monday, November 12, 2007. He is survived by three brothers: Lance (Susan) Bergner of Kankakee, IL, Douglas (Becky) Bergner of Crown Point, IN and Nicholas (Melissa) Bergner of Chesterton, IN; four nieces: Sarah Bergner of Kankakee, IL, Kayla Bergner of Chesterton, IN, Faith Bergner of Crown Point, IN and Aubree Bergner of Chesterton, IN; two nephews: Seth Whitmer of Kankakee, IL and Phoenix Bergner of Crown Point, IN; uncle, Richard (Shirley) Ramsey of Kernersville, NC; and close friends: Todd Ulrich of Chesterton, IN, Jason Miles of Hammond, IN and Bonnie Odeguard of Kingsman, IN; and the entire Janek family. Mr. Bergner was preceded in death by his parents: Jerome and Donna Bergner. A memorial service will be held Friday, November 16, 2007 at 8:00 p.m. at the Kuiper Funeral Home, 9039 Kleinman Road (two blocks south of Ridge Road), Highland, IN with Pastor David Kipp officiating. Cremation will precede the service. Friends are invited to meet with the family on Friday from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at the funeral home. Mr. Bergner was a member and S.A.L. Commander of the American Legion Post #232 of Hammond, IN who will hold services at 7:00 p.m. Friday evening. He enjoyed camping and fishing and was a loving brother, uncle and friend.

Sourced from: http://nwi.com/articles/2008/01/10/news/lake_county/docc6e7d1ca7dcd2fee862573cc00081d1f.txt

No charges in shooting of accused stalker
01/10/2008 A Hessville woman will not be charged in the shooting death of a man accused of breaking into her home in November and stalking her. Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter said on Wednesday he was turning down any charges against the woman in the death of Ryan Lee Bergner, 41, considering her actions to be in self-defense and defense of property.

The Nov. 12 shooting of Bergner as he cornered the 51-year-old woman in an upstairs bedroom closet capped a month of escalating terror -- chronicled in a series of police reports filed by the woman -- which included break-ins, vandalism and assaults in her workplace. They had briefly dated over the summer, but Bergner couldn't accept that she didn't want to be his girlfriend, and wouldn't take "no" for an answer, the woman said.

That fatal Monday night, she was watching television at 10:30 p.m. when she heard a window breaking, and called 911. An audio recording of her conversation with the emergency dispatcher, from the initial break-in to her escape from the dying Bergner six minutes later, was released by Hammond police on Wednesday. "I'm so scared," the woman said to the 911 operator, who told her to lock herself in a bedroom until police arrived.

Bergner had already broken into her house two days earlier, she reported to police, destroying a clock-radio and stealing several of her undergarments.

"I heard him turn a light on, a hallway light," she told the dispatcher as she hid in a closet, armed with a pistol a friend had given her for protection. "What are you doing?" she can be heard asking over the sound of her bedroom door being kicked in. "Stop it! Please stop it! Just stop it!"

Gunshots can clearly be heard on the recording. She later said Bergner was on top of her in the closet, his hands around her throat, choking her. "What are you trying to do, kill me?" the mortally wounded Bergner asked.

"Are you trying to kill me?"

Police found her in her front yard when they arrived moments later, and found Bergner, wearing black leather gloves and a brown leather jacket, lying partially in the bedroom closet with three bullet wounds to his abdomen, a 9 mm pistol on the bed nearby.

"That tape is absolutely chilling," said Hammond Police Chief Brian Miller, who worked for years as a detective with the department's sex crimes division.

Miller said he is regularly asked to speak at meetings of women's organizations and support groups for victims of domestic violence, and in the future will be taking the recording along with him as an example of what can happen.

"I didn't want it to turn out like this," the woman told The Times the day after the shooting, though she declined to comment for the record on Wednesday's decision by the prosecutor's office.

Seif5034

imported post

this audio is something all women should listen to and/or watch the video with it. i'm sure it'd put things into perspective for at least some.