Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Lobby Day Lie-In

  1. #1
    Regular Member vt357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    490

    Post imported post

    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...ld_in_richmond

    Hundreds will be flooding the Virginia State Capitol on Jan. 21, joined by the families of Virginia Tech shooting victims, to ask their elected officials to implement the Virginia Tech Review Panel's gun policy recommendations...
    ...Monday's event, deemed Advocacy Day, falls on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Buses from all over Virginia, including Tech, University of Virginia, Norfolk and Hampton Roads, and Northern Virginia Community College, will be joined by students from Virginia Commonwealth University for a day of peaceful protest. The buses are provided free of charge. Around 8:45 a.m., the participants will be briefed on the legislation in question before meeting with their respective elected officials. The lie-in is scheduled for 1 p.m. and a vigil featuring speeches by several victims' families will follow.
    How many do you think will really show up? I am kind of worried they may actually bring a lot. I will definitely be there - I think I may need a sign for their lie-in.

    I know this is the open carry board - but would it be better to CC at this event? I don't want a delegate to focus on what's on my hip and not on what I have to say.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    vt357 wrote:
    I know this is the open carry board - but would it be better to CC at this event? I don't want a delegate to focus on what's on my hip and not on what I have to say.
    Funny how "diversity" treatment doesn't apply to OC/CC'ers. It's important to show your true colors, dress appropriately and look them in the eye. That way they won't be staring at your piece.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    vt357 wrote:
    I know this is the open carry board - but would it be better to CC at this event? I don't want a delegate to focus on what's on my hip and not on what I have to say.
    Philip Van Cleave said the same thing at the VCDL meeting in Henrico last night.
    ---

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    I'm always interested to see how many people actually show up at these things who are supposed to be demonstrating/lobbying and generally informing the public of the evils of gun ownership. Mostly it's been pretty watered down represenation. The one notice I saw for NOVA MMM's was 20 people, and you can probably count that 5 of them are actual organizers and have to be there. It will be more interesting to see what they say inlight of recent events shredding their beliefs.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    998

    Post imported post

    Does it say how, when and where to get on one of these free buses. I might be able to talk my brother and a few other friends at Virginia Tech into hitching a ride with the antis so they can come support our side.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830

    Post imported post

    vt357 wrote:
    http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stori...ld_in_richmond

    Hundreds will be flooding the Virginia State Capitol on Jan. 21, joined by the families of Virginia Tech shooting victims, to ask their elected officials to implement the Virginia Tech Review Panel's gun policy recommendations...
    ...Monday's event, deemed Advocacy Day, falls on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Buses from all over Virginia, including Tech, University of Virginia, Norfolk and Hampton Roads, and Northern Virginia Community College, will be joined by students from Virginia Commonwealth University for a day of peaceful protest. The buses are provided free of charge. Around 8:45 a.m., the participants will be briefed on the legislation in question before meeting with their respective elected officials. The lie-in is scheduled for 1 p.m. and a vigil featuring speeches by several victims' families will follow.
    How many do you think will really show up? I am kind of worried they may actually bring a lot. I will definitely be there - I think I may need a sign for their lie-in.

    I know this is the open carry board - but would it be better to CC at this event? I don't want a delegate to focus on what's on my hip and not on what I have to say.
    I think as important as it is to show up and speak ourselvesit is more important for us to convince our girlfriends,wives,mothers,sisters or any other female supporter you know to come and be there with a gun saves lives button on even if they can not be convinced to speak. just their presence will speak volumes in a counter to the over emotional MMM's.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    If the last few years are an indicator the opposition will be busing school kids up from Hampton, astroturfing their numbers.

    Those kids will be there for extra credit and often do not know why they are there.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Guess that will make things more fun then. This next round of "kids say the darndest things" ought to be a youtube sensation, lol. I'll have to bring extra tape and loads of batteries.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    228

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    If the last few years are an indicator the opposition will be busing school kids up from Hampton, astroturfing their numbers.

    Those kids will be there for extra credit and often do not know why they are there.
    That reminds me of another time in history. My grandfather grew up in Dusseldorf and has told of having to stand out there "Because we said so! "


    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Regular Member VAopencarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The 'Dena, Mаяуlaпd
    Posts
    2,147

    Post imported post

    I have a feeling there will probably be a decent number.

    1. Because the VT incident was just last year.

    2. Students; they say they are busing some from VT and VCU they will be there thinking they are doing their part to save the world from evil doers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    VAopencarry wrote:
    I have a feeling there will probably be a decent number.

    1. Because the VT incident was just last year.

    2. Students; they say they are busing some from VT and VCU they will be there thinking they are doing their part to save the world from evil doers.
    Indeed. A lot of the "protests" around and on VCU campus are absolutely ridiculous. It's pretty much the same crowd involved with all of them. They try to force their opinions on others, then when the extremist conservative anti-abortion people come on campus with their graphic "visual aids", they get pissed off. Freedom of speech goes both ways, but some choose not to believe that.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post

    The MMM crowd are some of the rudest, vile, close minded people I ever met. Please bring a big amount ofpatience to Lobby Day as well. The MMM crowdis much fromthein-your-face feministmold from the late 60's and 70's.

    Since mostcolleges teach left wing socialism and liberalism in their classes,expectmuch of the college folks to bebrainwashedthat guns are evil and to be feared.A re-education is needed badly on campuses.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    If the last few years are an indicator the opposition will be busing school kids up from Hampton, astroturfing their numbers.

    Those kids will be there for extra credit and often do not know why they are there.
    Lol...what scumbags to use unwitting children as fronts for their messages.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX, ,
    Posts
    496

    Post imported post

    mlands wrote:
    Since mostcolleges teach left wing socialism and liberalism in their classes,expectmuch of the college folks to bebrainwashedthat guns are evil and to be feared.A re-education is needed badly on campuses.
    I take umbrage at that. Yes, colleges tend to be more liberal than the cities they inhabit. That does not mean that they're political re-education centers a la Russia, Vietnam and Korea. A statement like that makes me seriously question the educational background of the person stating it, because they obviously have too narrow a mind to have ever been through thecollege experience. Your statement implies that any college grad is a socialist bleeding-heart left-wing nut, ignoring the fact that many rightist views on education in this country, such as ID Theory,abstinence-only sex ed and apseudo-religious painting of the U.S. in world history as was taught to me in grade school, are equally as frightening as the North Korean model. In factI would far prefer a bleeding-heart "we're all in this together" look at the world than what I got before college, which was "The U.S. is always right. If all evidence points to the contrary, see previous sentence". Bull.

    At college, I took classes in logic where I learned how to argue and recognize fallacy in same (argument by repetition being a favorite tool on both sides of the political spectrum), thenI took political science where the holes in arguments on both sides were thrown into sharp relief, followed by ethics where I learned that what is right and what is legal are two very different things that agree often only by coincidence. As a collegegrad I can take arguments from both sides and form my own opinion whichprobably won'ttotally agree with either side.My eyes were opened to the fact that what I say isn't right just because Isay it, nor is even what a thousand people say, or the majority, or everybody but me,necessarily correct. And I learned well the dangers of bleating the party line. Count me among the disaffected centrist young adults who cannot support either party as a mouthpiece for my stance on the issues. And yes, I rail against anyone who obviously doesn't think before parroting the words of a political figureas if they were God's own. I've called people out on gun boards beforefor takingpropagandist swipes at the uncommon view before, and defenses of "this is our board" don't fly; it's my board too, andI say this asa liberal gun owner: it'sinsulting for you to call my degree a symbol of socialism.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    In his defense, he did use the word "Most". IMHO, that does not mean he was talking about all, or even the majority of colleges. Surely you would agree college campuses are much more liberal then they are conservative, and we see far more examples of liberals attempting to block conservative points of views from being heard on campuses.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    When they spend the money to bus people in, the MMM seems to be able to get a decent (phony) turnout. It's never as many as they say it will be, but it's enought o look big on a TV camera.

    Make sure our presence is known. Be nearby, look sharp, and have patience with stupid questions.

    About the high school kids being brought in, this may be an opportunity. Last year, at Sen. DD's press conference, they pulled that stunt, and it backfired on them as some of the kids traded their antigun stickers for VCDL "Guns Save Lives" pins. They are just there because it's an excuse to get extra credit. Talk to them, they are likely not as brainwashed as they may appear.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    rebfan wrote:
    In his defense, he did use the word "Most". IMHO, that does not mean he was talking about all, or even the majority of colleges.
    Maybe my language skills are lacking. Please explain how "Most" can mean less than the majority?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    152

    Post imported post

    In response the person who is supportive of all of our educators, I will say that the colleges I attended employed a large number of left wing liberal teachers. When I attended my first 100 level English class as soon as the teacher who was a very left wing feminist found out I was conservative in my writing, she made a big effort to give me very poor grades. Even before I wrote my first assignment she said that she wanted to fail me for my political leanings. She discussed politics a lot and wanted to know where we all stood. Immedaitely I took the same exact class again with a different teacher who was not left wing and I earned an A. After that I made sure I was careful to avoid all the left wing teachers. FYI, I have a 3.5 GPA and educated at NOVA, UMBC, Univ. of MD Europe, GMU, and attended seminars at many others. There is overall a better learning atmosphere in the evening professional classes, whereas liberalism is more often taught in the freshman-sophomore level classes. I don't think that 100 level English composition classes are the place for anti-Replubican and anti-conservative speeches by professors do you? Today if I had the same thing happen I would file a complaint.

    Where do you think that the "guns are bad" education comes from? In grade classes there was a child suspended for drawing a gun! Another kid was suspended for drawing war pictures. Somebody is educating teachers to enforce this garbage and guns are bad. No wonder so many parents sedn their kids to private schools or home school them.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    In his defense, he did use the word "Most". IMHO, that does not mean he was talking about all, or even the majority of colleges.
    Maybe my language skills are lacking. Please explain how "Most" can mean less than the majority?
    Maybe mine might be too, but seriously, I don't think he ment to paint them all with the same brush.

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX, ,
    Posts
    496

    Post imported post

    mlands wrote:
    In response the person who is supportive of all of our educators, I will say that the colleges I attended employed a large number of left wing liberal teachers. When I attended my first 100 level English class as soon as the teacher who was a very left wing feminist found out I was conservative in my writing, she made a big effort to give me very poor grades. Even before I wrote my first assignment she said that she wanted to fail me for my political leanings. She discussed politics a lot and wanted to know where we all stood. Immedaitely I took the same exact class again with a different teacher who was not left wing and I earned an A. After that I made sure I was careful to avoid all the left wing teachers.
    Bad experience. That was wrong of her, and you should have filed a complaint and changed sections as soon as you could. That one experience however cannot possibly be used to paint the entire American higher education system as radically left-wing.
    FYI, I have a 3.5 GPA and educated at NOVA, UMBC, Univ. of MD Europe, GMU, and attended seminars at many others. There is overall a better learning atmosphere in the evening professional classes, whereas liberalism is more often taught in the freshman-sophomore level classes. I don't think that 100 level English composition classes are the place for anti-Replubican and anti-conservative speeches by professors do you? Today if I had the same thing happen I would file a complaint.
    Funny you should say all that; I got more conservative leanings out of my English profs and more leftist viewsout of history. When you study Thoreau and other trancedentalist works, you can't help but get a very libertarian view out of it.

    Where do you think that the "guns are bad" education comes from? In grade classes there was a child suspended for drawing a gun! Another kid was suspended for drawing war pictures. Somebody is educating teachers to enforce this garbage and guns are bad. No wonder so many parents sedn their kids to private schools or home school them.
    "Guns are bad" education comes from anti-gun orreactionary parents, who upon any mention of a possible threat to their children scream at the school board until they get their way. Such decisions are not based on consequences, intent or even any inherent maliceof the action in question. I read recently about disciplinary action in my old middle school stemming from a student's "what I did last summer" essay involving a hunting trip with her dad. She didn't even talk about shooting a deer (the essay was published in an editorial); the essay centered on the father-daughter bonding experience. Well, a classmate told their conservationist parents about the student's essay, and they could not be ignored until the principal disciplined the student, because under school policy firearms were abanned topic of discussion except as immediately necessary (history for example can mention the fact that guns were used in war).

    I agree, it's bull. If there really is a problem related to aweapon, andthe weapon has not actually been brought into the school,it is cause for talking to parents and to the kid, not punishment. But, like Haley Joel Osment's charactersaid in "The Sixth Sense": "They don't have meetings about rainbows".

    I do not however blame the schools. They simply have to deal with parents who have the dangerouscombination of not bothering to take time to be parents to their own kids, and expecting the schoool to do a better job of controlling them when the school has far more of a problem and a far lower kid/adult ratio than any but the biggest Mormon families.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •