• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shoots man under her bed

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.charlotte.com/205/story/449799.html

Woman shoot man she finds under her bed
The Associated Press

LAURENS, S.C. --
Authorities say a woman coming home from work has shot and killed an intruder she found under her bed.

Laurens County Sheriff Ricky Chastain says the woman heard a noise in her bedroom Monday evening and grabbed a gun when she saw a hand underneath her bed.

Deputies say the woman fired three times as the man started to come out.

Authorities say 23-year-old Richard Vanderford was hit in the shoulder and chest. Chastain says he was a neighbor of the woman and did not have permission to be in the home.

The sheriff says investigators will present their findings to prosecutors to see if any charges should be filed.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
The sheriff says investigators will present their findings to prosecutors to see if any charges should be filed.
Now why would they need to do that? He was under her friggin BED. It's not like he came over to borrow a cup of freakin sugar!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Now why would they need to do that? He was under her friggin BED. It's not like he came over to borrow a cup of freakin sugar!
South Carolina just adopted the Castle Doctrine within the last year or so. There will be no charges and eventually everyone in law enforcement will be able to recall off the tops of their heads the new law as they gain experience with it.

BenjiMac

imported post

They need to investigate because someone was shot, silly. If I ever have to shoot someone, I would expect the same, regardless how justified it might be. Sometimes "victims" are liars or at least omit part of the information. After the investigation is done, and assuming nothing else turns up during the investigation, a justified shooting should be declared so and no charges filed. And the victim's gun should be returned, although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

BenjiMac wrote:
They need to investigate because someone was shot, silly. If I ever have to shoot someone, I would expect the same, regardless how justified it might be. Sometimes "victims" are liars or at least omit part of the information. After the investigation is done, and assuming nothing else turns up during the investigation, a justified shooting should be declared so and no charges filed. And the victim's gun should be returned, although I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.
Investigating is one thing, presenting their investigation to a prosecutor to see if charges should be files when it's a clear case of self-defense is another.