• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at UVSC

Article1section23

imported post

scooter4 wrote:
I wasnt OCing at the time and they said that if I was they would cite me for that and then kick me off the property, but since I wasnt OCing at the time the only charge they were thretening me with was disturbing the peace and they said they would cite me for that and kick me off the property. I really dont know why they were so crazy about things. I was calm the whole time and kept on thanking them for their time and just kept on saying that I just want to understand the law better.
Can you record them in Utah? If so, get one of the pin recorders ASAP. Good Job...Keep it up.

scooter4

imported post

Shawn wrote:
scooter4 wrote:
I wasnt OCing at the time and they said that if I was they would cite me for that and then kick me off the property, but since I wasnt OCing at the time the only charge they were thretening me with was disturbing the peace and they said they would cite me for that and kick me off the property. I really dont know why they were so crazy about things. I was calm the whole time and kept on thanking them for their time and just kept on saying that I just want to understand the law better.
Can you record them in Utah? If so, get one of the pin recorders ASAP. Good Job...Keep it up.
I dont know. Does anyone know about if that if legal? If so I will start doing it.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I carry a recorder and keep it running all day when I am away from home (runs for about 9-12hours on a set of batteries in voice activation mode). Idownloadit every night before bed and keep the recordings for 90 days (if something happens that I think is worth saving I keep it longer). Thishas gotten me out of hot water at work a few times andhas kept me having to pay a traffic ticket so it has well been worth the price.

rocknsnow

imported post

What type of recorder do you use? I have thought about doing it. I have used the one on my cell phone before, but it is hard to use.

xmirage2kx

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
What type of recorder do you use? I have thought about doing it. I have used the one on my cell phone before, but it is hard to use.
OLYMPUS DS-50.It is suposed to last 32 hours of use, but I am lucky to get 1/2 that. But you can record for like 270 hours if you need to (so if you are away from home for a few days you will be fine if you have enough AAA batteries)It runs like $200-$275 so it is not cheap, but I was tired of buying junky ones.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Shawn wrote:

I am not a lawyer and other standard disclaimers.

However, my best understanding is that in Utah only ONE party to a conversation need consent or even be aware for the conversation to be legally recorded. You are perfectly legal to carry a discrete recorder and use it without informing the other parties to a conversation, to record your own phone calls without telling the other person, etc.

However, do NOT leave your recording running outside your presence. Even by accident. Leaving it running in your coat, for example, while you step out of a room to visit the head would constitute an illegal tap unless some other person in the room was also aware of the recorder and consented to its use.

If you put a recorder on your phone, be sure that EVERYONE who uses the phone is aware of and consents to the recorder, including your spouse and any visitors who use the phone. Your own minor children you can probably record without their knowledge or consent. Not sure how federal law goes on phones if the call crosses State lines.

xmirage2kx

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
However, my best understanding is that in Utah only ONE party to a conversation need consent or even be aware for the conversation to be legally recorded. You are perfectly legal to carry a discrete recorder and use it without informing the other parties to a conversation, to record your own phone calls without telling the other person, etc.

+1

As for all the details (calls across state lines, etc) I have no idea.