• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumbest thing you have seen someone do with a firearm...

dt

imported post

This was sort of inspired byan earlier thread about some idiots pretending to rob a gun shop and almost getting drilled.

Here's my contribution to start it off. Some details are a bit fuzzy, but I've never forgotten the idiocy I saw that day:

About 6 years ago my buddy and I (newly of age)were in the process of each purchasing an AK at a local shop in Vancouver. As I recall, a customer hadbrought back a Tec-9 thatdaywith a complaint about it failing to fire, something to do with the firing pin. Since it had beensold onconsignment, they called the seller, who came in to look at it while we were there.

Aftertaking it apartand putting it back togetheron the counter, he askedOwner #1 if he had a snap-cap. Whenthey didn't have one in 9mm,he asked for a 9mm cartridge. I'm not sure what the owner was thinking in giving it tohim, but he did.Heproceeded to pry off thebullet with his leatherman tool, and emptied the powder charge.

He thenchambered the primered case,and walkedover to the other end of the store where Owner #2 was bent over the counter, absorbed insome paperwork. Since this is a fairly large shop as LGS's go,Owner #2hadn't been paying attention to the goings-on 20+ feet away.

Numbskull walked up to counter and said "Hey". When Owner #2 looked up, heaimed at his face andpulled the trigger. Ihave never seen someone go so white as he did when that primerblasted in his face. Seriously the look of someone who thought he was dead.

Incredibly stupid in any case, but extremely dumb in a place where everyone was packing.

Beau

imported post

Dude is lucky he didn't get shot. #2 could have pulled andshot said idiotas soon as he saw the firearm pointed at him. Probably should have just on pricipal.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I usually see somebody do something stupid everytime I go to a public range. More times than not, it's several different people, in several different groups, that do something stupid.

But, the dumbest thing? Anytime any of the four cardinal rules are broken is the dumbest thing, but I'll dig thru my mind and see what I can bring up ...

Never pointing the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy and plain old keeping your finger off of the trigger until you've made the conscience desicion to shoot are the most broken ones I have seen.

One incident (involving the listed) I recall is at a local-esque gun store (well, more of a hardware/outdoor type store). The guy working behind the counter shows a customer a handgun. Said customer sweeps everybody around him with said gun while his finger is in the trigger guard. Guy behind the counter gets the gun handed back then proceeds to sweep everybody like the customer did, up to and including having his finger within the trigger guard. Well, said guy behind the counter sweeps the (read: my) family to which the guy behind the counter (and I'm sure everybody else in the store) hears from me, "DUDE!! WATCH YOUR ******* MUZZLE!!"

I get the whole, "well, the gun isn't loaded."

So, I said, "yeah, and that's why there's how many people every year that get shot with UNLOADED guns!?"

Needless to say, I left said establishment after the questionmark, although the period in my 9 year old's, "gosh, what a dumbass." was the last thing some pf the folks heard :lol:

DrewGunner

imported post

Beau wrote:
Dude is lucky he didn't get shot. #2 could have pulled andshot said idiotas soon as he saw the firearm pointed at him. Probably should have just on pricipal.

I almost shot a lady at Big 5 a couple weeks ago who did that same thing to me.

I'm looking at the knive case whenI hear "don't worry, I won't shoot you" come from my 3 o'clock. I turn and see agun pointed directly at my face andfeel abig whoosh of air hit my face. Pellet gun, looked exactly, exactlylike a 1911, no red tip or anything. The gun was empty so I still have both my eye balls.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Idiot! Gun owners get enough "help" from the media painting us as lunatics, we don't need an idiot with a gun helping them.

dt

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
dt wrote:
I'm not sure what the owner was thinking in giving it tohim, but he did.
tell me you don't go there, anymore :cry:
Nope. #2 was a really great guy, he was a true gun enthusiast wholoved to bargain and you could always count on getting a good deal if you were willing to dicker. The rumor was that this didn't make the other owners happy (I believe there were three altogether), and he eventually left to sell used cars somewhere in Seattle. I still see the sign so they are still in business, but I shop elsewhere.

Legba

imported post

The forgetting about the primer charge thing seems to be recurrent. Some drunk guys at a party were taking cartridges apart and throwing the powder on a fire for an improvised pyrotechnics display. Fine, until some jackass threw the still-primered casings on the fire. They blew up and one guy got a piece of brass embedded in his arm. Could have been worse.

I accidentally sort-of shot a friend's mother once. We were shooting hedgeapples as improvised clay targets for shotguns, and she was on the next farm, beyond what I thought was the range of a shotgun (it was a few hundred yards). She called up to ask us to stop, because shot was raining down on her while she was trying to paint the house (she just shook the shot out of her hair). It was far enough away that the energy dissipated so that nobody got hurt, but they made fun of me for ages over it. Oops.

A friend - who is a cop now, BTW - once was showing me a revolver and "loaded" it with a spent casing and pointed it at me and others. I threatened him if he ever did anything that stupid again. We've since drifted apart, but I gather he got some training at last in becoming a cop.

-ljp

dt

imported post

Legba wrote:
The forgetting about the primer charge thing seems to be recurrent.

The idiot I mentioned certainly didn't forget. Its a valid way to check firing pin function, I've done it myself in when I didn't want to actually fire a live cartridge.

He thought it was hilarious that he just scared the living :cuss:eek:ut of someone.

silver nekode

imported post

You guys got out lucky. The dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do with a firearm is push one into someones gut and pull the trigger to test a safety feature that was supposed to stop the gun from firing if something was pushing against the barrell.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Moronic gun dealer didn't use proper handling techniques while showing me a few handguns back a few months ago. The penalty was a very angry non-customer telling him he was a danger to every person that came in there to look at firearms and a threatened letter to the local paper (which, after I cooled down, I backed out on).

Thundar

imported post

That I have personally seen: Moron using his loaded government issued Beretta as a hammer. No kidding.

Best picture: ATF agent at the range sticking his handgun in his ear as hearing protection. Can't find it or I would post it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fredericksburg, VA cops.

Not only did one tell me he wouldn't "let" his wife carry a gun - dumb cop, not dumb move.

At the last Fredericksburg show, I stopped at the table outside to have the tie wrap removed from my Bersa. The young kid who took it from my hand swept me and everyone else. As I jumped out of the way, hands up, the cop on duty tells me "Don't worry; it's not loaded." When I repeated "Every gun is loaded" he said "Not here, it isn't." The kid had pointed the gun at me and asked me to hold the slide while he removed the tie wrap!

Can't swear it wasn't the same cop as the first time, but needless to say, I'm not enamored of the Fredericksburg police department.

Sheldon

imported post

Didn't see it but..... Had a friend clear his 1911 Bss Ackwards... rack slide Eject round, drop Mag, drop hammer OOPS!!!!:shock:

Mjolnir

imported post

Saw a guy at the range shoot himself in the right thigh with a 1911 .45acp that had the grip safety pinned.

Was really cool :p:p:p

unrequited

imported post

Seen many friends/relatives empty, trigger lock, case-lock, locker-lock, and in some cases, even store ammunition in a different room to be "safe" when they have no kids. These are guns bought for "protection" amongst other reasons. Forget the subject of carry, I couldn't even convince them to keep a gun in a ready-to-fire or ready-to-be-charged/loaded condition within the locker.

*shrug*

FogRider

imported post

silver nekode wrote:
You guys got out lucky. The dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do with a firearm is push one into someones gut and pull the trigger to test a safety feature that was supposed to stop the gun from firing if something was pushing against the barrell.

That seems like an odd feature. What gun?