• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumbest thing you have seen someone do with a firearm...

unrequited

imported post

FogRider wrote:
silver nekode wrote:
You guys got out lucky. The dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do with a firearm is push one into someones gut and pull the trigger to test a safety feature that was supposed to stop the gun from firing if something was pushing against the barrell.

That seems like an odd feature. What gun?
The Springfield Armory's XD design (originally HS Produkt's) have the opposite in that they specifically designed to allow the firing when pressed to someone's back:
http://www.wipo.int/patentscopedb/e...SEARCH_IA=HR2002000005&QUERY=(FP/WO02059539)+

The coil bearer (4) is 2 mm longer than the bolt (2) and that enable firing the bullet when the pistol is pushed towards someone's back.

Coil bearer 4 is made with an addition which sticks out to 2 mm in front of the bolt 2 and enables the pressing of pistol on a target (man) in the same time enables the shooting. This procedure enables that during the pressing on a target with the coil bearer 4 a pistol stays locked in which position it can fire the bullet.

I found this rummaging through patents for my gun (XD45) and thought it was kind of macabre, but glad it's a feature.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

unrequited wrote:
FogRider wrote:
silver nekode wrote:
You guys got out lucky. The dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do with a firearm is push one into someones gut and pull the trigger to test a safety feature that was supposed to stop the gun from firing if something was pushing against the barrell.

That seems like an odd feature. What gun?
The Springfield Armory's XD design (originally HS Produkt's) have the opposite in that they specifically designed to allow the firing when pressed to someone's back:

The coil bearer (4) is 2 mm longer than the bolt (2) and that enable firing the bullet when the pistol is pushed towards someone's back.

Coil bearer 4 is made with an addition which sticks out to 2 mm in front of the bolt 2 and enables the pressing of pistol on a target (man) in the same time enables the shooting. This procedure enables that during the pressing on a target with the coil bearer 4 a pistol stays locked in which position it can fire the bullet.

I found this rummaging through patents for my gun (XD45) and thought it was kind of macabre, but glad it's a feature
Teh English could be better on that patent explanation. Also couldn't find the diagram referenced. Am I understanding correctly in that they are saying the guide rod end sticks out past the slide a bit so that if you press it against something, the guide rod end acts as a "stop", therefore preventing the slide to be pushed back out of battery, and therefore allowing a "flush to target" discharge?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dumbest thing? That's too easy!

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-159, 107 Stat. 1536 (Nov. 30, 1993), codified at 18 U.S.C.§921 and 18 U.S.C.§922, also known as the Brady Bill, passed as H.R. 1025 [1][/suP] by the United States Congress, signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 30, 1993, and went into effect on February 28, 1994. The act was named after James Brady, who was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. during an attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981.

expvideo

imported post

I made a really stupid mistake once. I was 15 or 16and I had gotten an airsoft pistol, that was a replica of a walther P99, with a functional slide and magazine. This was long before airsoft was popular. Anyway, I was showing that the gun wasn't loaded. I pulled the slide back and turned it upside down to drop the BB. Then I released the slide, inadvertantly loading another BB into the chamber, and removed the magazine. Just to prove my mental superiority to my sister's friend, I put the gun barrel to my left hand and pulled the trigger. It stung pretty bad, and I learned a few valuable lessons. I felt pretty stupid about the way I unloaded the gun, but I felt absolutely retarded for the way I decided to prove that it was empty! :uhoh:

I got a full auto M4 airsoft rifle the next year, and my little brother was showing it off to his friend. He figured that moving the safety so that the long part covered the word "safe" meant that the gun was on safe (the switch was actually set to "AUTO"). And how do 13 year olds test to make sure the gun is on safe? By pulling the trigger of course! While it's pointed at my nice stereo. :cuss:

silver nekode

imported post

I don't remember what the pistol was, i'll check and see if i can find out. the idea was, if something is pushing against the barrell(sp?) it will keep the gun from firing. in any event someone was very stupid and decided to test it by pushing the gun into a person's stomach and pulling the trigger. his excuse was, "i thought it wasn't loaded"

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-159, 107 Stat. 1536 (Nov. 30, 1993), codified at 18 U.S.C.§921 and 18 U.S.C.§922, also known as the Brady Bill, passed as H.R. 1025 [1] by the United States Congress, signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 30, 1993, and went into effect on February 28, 1994. The act was named after James Brady, who was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. during an attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981.
Right, but the OP said dumbest thing "with a firearm"

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

silver nekode wrote:
I don't remember what the pistol was, i'll check and see if i can find out. the idea was, if something is pushing against the barrell(sp?) it will keep the gun from firing. in any event someone was very stupid and decided to test it by pushing the gun into a person's stomach and pulling the trigger. his excuse was, "i thought it wasn't loaded"

This happens with a lot of semi-autos. It's not necessarily an intended feature to prevent a gun from firing when pressed into someone's body. The gun just simply doesn't fire when it is out of battery, and pushing the gun into someone with some meat on them will push the slide out of battery.

Anyway I just saw someone do an incredibly stupid thing with a gun this weekend. I was at the range breaking in my P3AT, and comparing the effectiveness of bird shot vs. buck shot with my mossberg (I'll never have bird shot in my home defense shotty again). Anyway some Marines showed up, along with a few chick-ee-poos.One of the Marinespulled out a Kimber Custom II 1911. He asked if he could shoot a little, and I said "Sure, as long as you let me put some rounds through that :)". I fired a few, and he fired my P3AT. Well then he reloads the 1911 and hands it to one of the girlies..loaded. This chick turns, facing me, holding it with both hands, POINTING AT ME, and starts fidling with the "buttons" trying to figure out what they did. I seriously considered shooting her in self defense right then and there, but then decided to side step, tell her to kindly point that crap down range, then gave the Marine a dirty look. His response was "she's not mine!". :banghead:

markand

imported post

About 10 years ago, I was in a local gun store. Another customer was showing off his 1911 style .45 and touched off a round. He said, "What the (whatever) was that?" Store manager calmly told him, "That was your gun going off, dude." Round passed harmlessly between two nice, and probably expensive rifles hanging on the wall, went through said wall and into a storage room on the other side. The .45 bullet punctured a 20 round box of .223 ammo, bending the tips of 2 rounds before coming to rest in cinder block. Don't show off a loaded gun!!

kurtmax_0

imported post

I had a neighbor where I used to live that had a 'shotgun range' (skeet or trap, don't remember). Well, the shot would rain down on our house whevener he shot...

I've also learned to immediately pack up and leave the range when any military people come. I've yet to see a single person from the military at the range that doesn't act like a 14 year old with a new toy.....

All I can figure is they are cutting the training budgets for firearm safety...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I had a neighbor where I used to live that had a 'shotgun range' (skeet or trap, don't remember). Well, the shot would rain down on our house whevener he shot...

I've also learned to immediately pack up and leave the range when any military people come. I've yet to see a single person from the military at the range that doesn't act like a 14 year old with a new toy.....

All I can figure is they are cutting the training budgets for firearm safety...

LOL @ the military comment. I have met a few Marines here and there that are competant and mature while at the local range, but the vast majority I see there act like children.
If the pressure pushes the gun out of battery, then it won't fire, but I've never heard of such a safety feature.
You've never heard of an out-of-battery safety?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I wasn't aware that there were guns that would fire out of battery in the first place. If there are, then I suppose those that don't could all be considered to have an "out of battery safety". I thought this was a commonality among all semi-autos.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I wasn't aware that there were guns that would fire out of battery in the first place. If there are, then I suppose those that don't could all be considered to have an "out of battery safety". I thought this was a commonality among all semi-autos.
I wouldn't be suprised if earlier semi-auto designs would fire out-of-battery, but I'm sure that would cause issues, so they fixed that problem.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
BobCav wrote:

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, Pub. L. No. 103-159, 107 Stat. 1536 (Nov. 30, 1993), codified at 18 U.S.C.§921 and 18 U.S.C.§922, also known as the Brady Bill, passed as H.R. 1025 [1] by the United States Congress, signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 30, 1993, and went into effect on February 28, 1994. The act was named after James Brady, who was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. during an attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981.

Tess,I know... but all noble Darwinian attempts to remove ones self fromthegene pool removal notwithstanding, I STILL think this is the dumbest! ;)

vtme_grad98

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Tess wrote:
BobCav wrote:

Tess,I know... but all noble Darwinian attempts to remove ones self fromthegene pool removal notwithstanding, I STILL think this is the dumbest! ;)
Well, when you consider the fact that this law is backed by the threat of force from law enforcement, it's not a stretch to say that it was forced on us with firearms.

expvideo

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
Well, when you consider the fact that this law is backed by the threat of force from law enforcement, it's not a stretch to say that it was forced on us with firearms.
That's the definition of a stretch.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
BobCav wrote:

Sorry to butt in. But the dumbest thing in this instance is shooting at RR.

Saint

imported post

The dumbest thing I have seen someone do was a LEO who conduted a traffic stop on me for doing 60 mph in a 55 mph speed zone.

I had my glock 19 handgun on the passenger seat of my car, loaded with a 15 round clip + 1 in the chamber. The officer said he was going to remove the gun for 'officer safety' and I told him that was fine. At this time I told him that the gun had a mag in it and was loaded with a round in the chamber.

The officer then proceeds to reach into my car, and pull the gun out with the barrel pointing at me and his figer inside the trigger guard! He then drops the mag out onto the top of the car, brings the gun back down to waist level and proceeds to de-chamber my weapon with his finger still inside the trigger guard WHILE POINTING IT AT ME AGAIN! :banghead:

It freaked me out pretty bad. It was my first traffic stop ever so I didn't say anything. But after reviewing Idaho law, I discoverd that the officer was actually guilty of a misdemnor crime of 'pointing a firearm at/towards another person regardless of intention'

In retrospect, I should have filed a complaint against him and the department.