• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long have you been OCing?

How long have you been OCing?

• 0 (I've never OC'd)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 day - 5 months

• 6-11 months

• 1 year

• 2-5 years

• 6-9 years

• 10-15 years

• 16-19 years

• 20-29 years

• 30+ years

• Total voters

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, after our local meeting last night, I thought I'd create my first poll here and ask the question to everyone in DE...

How long have you been Openly Carrying?

Are you a newbie? Are you a seasoned veteran? Haven't you tried yet? Let's get an idea of how DE members "break down" w/ OC experience. (Clarification:I'm talking about out in the "real" public - not just around your house. LOL).

For me,my first time was onlyback in Oct 2007, so I'm still a newbie I guess.

[Hopefully the choices cover enough of the possibilities AND provide a decent picture]

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I technically 'open carried' for the first time at my first shooting competition in October of last year in Pennsylvania -- the second time at the next match there in November, then once out to my mailbox.

Just because I'm paranoid, I waited until I got my CCDW on 12/31/07 to start considering it as a really 'safe' option. Since then, anywhere I go after I get home from work, I'll be concealing (generally when I'm with the wife and kids) or OC/CC as weather and mood permits anywhere else.

stephpd

imported post

I've never OC'd and since getting my CCDW,Sept 07, I carry concealed everyday. Enjoyed meeting everyone last night, gotta do it again. Wife thought we'd end up in jail. Was surprised when I came home.

I give you guys credit for testing the OC laws, or lack thereof. I just don't want to give away a tactical advantage of CCDW.:D

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

stephpd wrote:
I've never OC'd and since getting my CCDW,Sept 07, I carry concealed everyday. Enjoyed meeting everyone last night, gotta do it again. Wife thought we'd end up in jail. Was surprised when I came home.

I give you guys credit for testing the OC laws, or lack thereof. I just don't want to give away a tactical advantage of CCDW.:D

I honestly think it's very scenario dependant on whether CC'ing gives a tactical advantage. If you're walking down the street and a mugger is looking for an easy mark, you won't be it.

If it's a thug who goes in to rob a convenience store, odds are probably 60/40 that he'll run or shoot. (My opinion only there... basing off of general cowardice and self-preservation tendancies of a criminal).

If it's a somewhat organized group of criminals robbing a restaurant, then you'd probably be in trouble.

In any case, more power to your choice -- good to see you again and glad to meet the guys who were new. :)

hobobrent

imported post

Haven't OC'd off private property. Although after basic training I'll be doing it almost 24/7. :D

ijusam

imported post

I put down 6 mo to 11 mo. But I remember walking into the bank after hunting over 25 years ago with a pistol (.44 cal black powder revolver) strapped on. IN MARYLAND!. Depending on what I am doing I OC about 60- 80&% of the time I’m not at home. It don’t matter if I’m alone or with my family. Generally I don’t OC in Dover even though I have my CCDW. I look closely everywhere I go in DE and have yet to see a private business posted.

ijusam

imported post

stephpd wrote:

I give you guys credit for testing the OC laws, or lack thereof. I just don't want to give away a tactical advantage of CCDW.W:D
hy would you have gone to jail if you weren't OC? your wife sounds very supportive. I think mine still worries sometimes, but she likes the fact that the kids are learning.

stephpd

imported post

My wife isn't supportive at all. If she had know that I was getting my CCDW she might have called the court. She didn't even know that I had ought a handgn, actually 2. She found out when she opened my mail with the CCDW license in it. Doesn't like guns and likes even less that I have one.

Stange since she grew up on a farm and her whole family has longguns. Even her mom has a CCDW in PA. Tells me "she's a pistol packin' mama.' Been married 20 years and she still doesn't trust me. Don't know why since I've never hit her. I think she has an unrational fear of guns, doesn't even want to see the gun. Maybe she thinks only LEO's and criminals should carry, I don't know and she won't talk about it.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

My wife has warmed up to it a bit. She was VERY anti -- I pretty much bought the gun with minimal discussion from her and went about the process without her knowing much at all. I've slowly introduced it to her, let her hold and dry fire it... explaining my reasons.

When I got my CCDW and started carrying, the first time I holstered it when we were going out with the kids, she said, "Not with the kids around," to which I replied, "Especially with the kids around... If someone tries to harm them, I intend to be between them and the girls, showing them the business end of my pistol." She shrugged and said nothing more.

A week or two later, we went out to a play place (where I didn't carry because of the sheer volume of people), and when we were in the car on the way home, she asked if I was carrying. I told her, "I don't know was I?" with a sly smile. She started feeling my side and my legs (I'm going to have to conceal more often to get that reaction), but didn't really show any kind of scorn either way.

ijusam

imported post

stephpd wrote:
My wife isn't supportive at all. If she had know that I was getting my CCDW she might have called the court. She didn't even know that I had ought a handgn, actually 2. She found out when she opened my mail with the CCDW license in it. Doesn't like guns and likes even less that I have one.
sorry to hear that. I misread the tone of your post, I thought you were saying that although she feared you would get arrested she was ok with you going. oh well, we can hope she turns around and/or nothing bad happens where she might need one.

my wife started out pretty leery of the whole idea, but trusts me and respects the time I have put into researching the laws. she appreciated the cheat sheets I made up for our trip to Florida.

the other day her sister stopped over while I was wearing OC around the house. after about a hour she noticed and asked "is that real"? when I said "YES" she asked "why are you wearing it"? thats when my wife chimed in and said "there are bad people out there!" end of conversation.

radnor

imported post

ijusam wrote:
thats when my wife chimed in and said "there are bad people out there!" end of conversation.

Can I borrow her for a little while? My wife is OK with what I have. I expressed an interest in the CCDW, this did not make her happy at all.... I'd like to introduce your wife to my sis-in-law... She is real ANTI! To the tune of "only police and military" should have em. So I send her all posts from the NRA site about people using them to protect themselves.