• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shot to death in Shoreline

compmanio365

imported post

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/13898867.html

SHORELINE, Wash. (AP) - King County sheriff's deputies say a 20-year-old woman was shot to death in Shoreline Thursday afternoon.

Sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart says a 19-year-old man was holding a gun in a house when it discharged.

The man has been booked into jail for investigation of first-degree manslaughter. He is identified on the jail's Web site as Robert Morris.

Urquhart says there were several other people in the house at the time of the shooting, including two infants.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, the gun just went off?! That's scary. I didn't know guns could do that! :banghead:

DrewGunner

imported post

Kiro 7:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/15084494/detail.html?rss=sea&psp=news&gg=true

SEATTLE -- A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the fatal shooting of a 20-year-old woman in Shoreline on Thursday, the sheriff's office said.

A 19-year-old man was holding a handgun when it went off, hitting the woman, deputies said. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The twin brother of the man arrested in the shooting said his brother was showing the woman his new .22-caliber handgun that he planned to use for hunting when the woman tried to grab the gun and it fired, hitting her in the shoulder.

The brother said he was working on a car outside of the home when he heard screaming from the house. He said both he and his brother tried CPR on the woman after immediately calling 911 and that the shooting was an accident.....

.22 to the shoulder and she died? Whoa..

just_a_car

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Kiro 7:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/15084494/detail.html?rss=sea&psp=news&gg=true

SEATTLE -- A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the fatal shooting of a 20-year-old woman in Shoreline on Thursday, the sheriff's office said.

A 19-year-old man was holding a handgun when it went off, hitting the woman, deputies said. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The twin brother of the man arrested in the shooting said his brother was showing the woman his new .22-caliber handgun that he planned to use for hunting when the woman tried to grab the gun and it fired, hitting her in the shoulder.

The brother said he was working on a car outside of the home when he heard screaming from the house. He said both he and his brother tried CPR on the woman after immediately calling 911 and that the shooting was an accident.....

.22 to the shoulder and she died? Whoa..
I'm guessing it probably ricocheted off of a bone and went straight down through the heart or lungs.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Some people just don't realize how nasty .22's can be. They make a small hole, but they'll bounce all over the place once they get in ya.

Now what I'm wondering is, if she "grabbed" the gun and one of them inadvertently pulled the trigger, how is that really HIS fault? I mean, if I had my sidearm in my hand, chambered a round before holstering it to carry, and before I got it there somebody in the room snatched at it and shot themselves in the process, how is that my fault?

compmanio365

imported post

kparker wrote:
DreQo,

That's why the story reads "booked into jail for investigation of" rather than "charges were filed for".
Well.....in that case, OK. Oops.....forgot that little "innocent until proven guilty" bit though......innocent people don't go to jail, now do they? :banghead:

phiche92

imported post

.22-caliber handgun that he planned to use for hunting when the woman tried to grab the gun and it fired, hitting her in the shoulder.

What do you hunt with a .22 caliberhand gun?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

John Hardin wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
... his brother was showing the woman his new .22-caliber handgun that he planned to use for hunting ...
Why the hell was he showing off a loaded firearm?

I would call that negligent homicide.

"Hey look, here's this kool new gun I have! Ok, now I'm going to load it and put it in my holster." *click* "Wait lemme see!" *bang* Granted, that's more likely to happen with a carry sidearm, not a "hunting" pistol, but still...
.22-caliber handgun that he planned to use for hunting when the woman tried to grab the gun and it fired, hitting her in the shoulder.

What do you hunt with a .22 caliberhand gun?
Small game. Rabbit, squirrel, etc. That part really doesn't surprise me.

uncoolperson

imported post

there's a lot that needs to be said about the situation one way or another...

someone was being an idiot, but who's idiocy caused the gun to go off?

the guy with the gun was showing off a loaded pistol (or perhaps showing off loading)
the girl was around idiot above

i just got done showing my brother my new today crimson trace.

went got the gun, pulled the mag and locked the slide open.... made sure he saw the mag in my left hand and inside the gun (my brother probably didn't even really pay much attention to #2, but he noticed me looking [twice])... then i say "here have a look"

if i didn't, before i handed it to him he'd look for a mag and ask if it was loaded.... he's not an owner, shooter, or really much of an advocate.... but he still knows as with anything it's better to make sure.

no matter what the object is, everybody should always be on the same page as to what it is capable of (using a word to cover guns and everything else... i know a gun is always loaded)

MrCamo

imported post

This kid lived next to me and was a disrespectful wanna be gang banger. I ended up telling him to stay away from my house. This kid was always going nowhere, i just did not think he would take somebody with him. i live in Bothell, WA. I joined this forum to let you know he was an idiot. Who hunts with a .22 revolver? i don't think hunting involves squirrels and birdies.....

just_a_car

imported post

MrCamo wrote:
This kid lived next to me and was a disrespectful wanna be gang banger. I ended up telling him to stay away from my house. This kid was always going nowhere, i just did not think he would take somebody with him. i live in Bothell, WA. I joined this forum to let you know he was an idiot. Who hunts with a .22 revolver? i don't think hunting involves squirrels and birdies.....

Well, hunting involves squirrels, birds (duck hunting many shows dedicated to it on Versus Network), varmints such as coyotes, rabbits, and ground hogs all are viable with a .22lr round and a revolver can potentially be more reliable than an automatic out in the field. Admittedly, you're more than likely going to use something like a bolt-action, single-shot, or a Ruger 10/22 autoloader rifle than any handgun, but it's certainly not out of the question.

It's too bad that "the kid" apparently wasn't that smart. I just wish no one had to suffer for his lack of intelligence.

just_a_car

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I'm not placing it ALL on him. From the sound of it, the young woman was also negligent in grabbing for the gun.
Agreed. I think there is more than enough blame to go around. I just pray for both her and the boy's families. They're all going to have a hard time ahead of them in the near future.

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

You have to keep in mind who actually witnessed the discharge though. If the twin brother was outside, the gun owner was the only person besides the woman who was killed to have witnessed the gun going off. Off course he would say she grabbed it.