Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you seen this video about not wearing paddle holsters?

Post imported post

Interesting video. I was looking for something else and it caught my eye. You might want to check it out. It appears you can get your holster busted and gun ripped off in a pretty simple motion. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKt...eature=related

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I believe it. Whether it's open or concealed, IWB is the most secure method of carry; with some holster models they'd rip your pants off before they got your holster off of youby force. Not sure what would be next; probably OWB belt loop.

Post imported post

Interesting. I'd be curious to know the model paddle holster they used and how many points of connection it had to the padle. To this untraied eye it appeared to be a fobus with only two screws along the top beltline. Most Blackhawk paddles have 3 points (2 top and one center) and I'm wondering if that was done as a known design flaw fix with the 2 point connection in mind.

ETA: Big DUH on me. It says it's a Uncle Mike's Kydek in the dang title of the video. Senior moment folks. . .disregard!
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

This was simply to show a video I found. It wasn't to push one way or the other for OC/CC.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Actually this video is of a Fobus holster failure, somewhere around here we have discussed this video before.

Post imported post

Yes, please remember that it was a Fobus holster. They are held together by rivets. After seeing this video a few months ago, I had my brother try to break my Serpa off of my belt. He is a large, strong man, and my Serpa did not break. Although he did bruise my hip a little.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

I'd say it was more of a comment on Fobus' manufacturing. My Blackhawk is just as secured on it's paddle as it is on the belt slide.

Post imported post

I tried the search function but the topic was a bit vague for this attempt. Sorry.

Anyway, glad to hear the Blackhawk holster doesn't break like that. I know quite a few of you use that company's products.

Post imported post

Sort of O.T.

I had a cople f Fobus magazine carriers with a 'paddle' secured by two rivets.

The first time I got into a friends sports car one of them caught on the seat and the rivets both popped out.

I replaced them with nuts and screws and had no further problem.

"Never pick a fight with an old spy. If he doesn't feel like fighting he'll just kill you."

T.S. Eggleston, DmAt, MSI - aka The Eggman
    www.TheEggman.com
    www.TheEgglestonGroup.com

"If You Can't Be Free, At Leat Be Irritating"

Post imported post

:?So...did you see the OCer's reaction ? He placed his hand on the BGs hand, and just hung out for a while. If someone were to attempt to grab my gun,I would not only hold on to his hand with my right hand like my life was on the line, but I would use my left hand to deliver a blow to his face. Granted, the BG isn't moving at top speed either.

Post imported post

I've seen that happen on the range during a training drawing from the hip, also Ihad astudent draw from the holster, he hadfirearm and holster pointing down range.:what: That'swhyNo! paddle or clip-onholsters!

I've also seen holster and firearm go flyingdown range?:shock:

Post imported post

I carry an XD with a Comp-tac paddle slide:

I'ts not a high-retention holster but it is one-piece and the gun is much easier to pull out than the holster is to break off.
    This holster is very well designed and will NOT stay with the gun on a draw.

In my case, IWB is not comfortable and I need to take it on and put it off several times a day. I my gun in my glove box IN the holster which is much safer than loose.

Interesting video.

Post imported post

Tard wrote:
    I carry an XD with a Comp-tac paddle slide:

I'ts not a high-retention holster but it is one-piece and the gun is much easier to pull out than the holster is to break off.
    This holster is very well designed and will NOT stay with the gun on a draw.

In my case, IWB is not comfortable and I need to take it on and put it off several times a day. I my gun in my glove box IN the holster which is much safer than loose.

Interesting video.

Good to see you on this forum as well. I'm heading back over to XDtalk.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I carry a fobus paddle, but it is secured by 3 rivets.

Furthermore, I removed the rivets myself, put a layey of epoxy between the two piece, and put 3 stronger rivets in their stead.

Also, instead of the space cadet in the video, I wouldn't push down on the holster with him, I would have turned clockwise (while immobilizing his arm) and gave him a black eye to match my holster.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:

Furthermore, I removed the rivets myself, put a layey of epoxy between the two piece, and put 3 stronger rivets in their stead.

Also, instead of the space cadet in the video, I wouldn't push down on the holster with him, I would have turned clockwise (while immobilizing his arm) and gave him a black eye to match my holster.
    Why go to all that trouble on a cheap holster when ya can buy a quality one and never have to worry about it?

Weapon retention 101, always push down on your pistol when somebody trys to take it from your holster.

It's a lot easer said to stop the weapon grab than actually do it. Chances are you would loose the weapon and who knows what else if ya just tried a turn & hit without 1st securing your weapon.

Post imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
    openryan wrote:

Why go to all that trouble on a cheap holster when ya can buy a quality one and never have to worry about it?

Weapon retention 101, always push down on your pistol when somebody trys to take it from your holster.

It's a lot easer said to stop the weapon grab than actually do it. Chances are you would loose the weapon and who knows what else if ya just tried a turn & hit without 1st securing your weapon.
    But in the video, the issue is that the demonstrated way to break the holster is by pushing down on it while rotating counter clockwise. By pushing down on it yourself, you're almost helping.

Post imported post

jtkratzer wrote
    But in the video, the issue is that the demonstrated way to break the holster is by pushing down on it while rotating counter clockwise. By pushing down on it yourself, you're almost helping.
    Dude, think about it here...........they are demonstrating how the holster breaks when somebody tries to take it away from you & you do as you should do when in weapon retention mode.

Do you really want somebody to pull your pistol UP when it's in the holster and they are trying to take it away from you?

Cheap holsters break when doing weapon retention drills, good quality ones will not break when pushing down, that's the entire purpose of the video, to show what kind of crap fobus is.

Fobus makes great cheap range holsters, but for daily wear it's junk.

Post imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
    jtkratzer wrote
    Dude, think about it here...........they are demonstrating how the holster breaks when somebody tries to take it away from you & you do as you should do when in weapon retention mode.

Do you really want somebody to pull your pistol UP when it's in the holster and they are trying to take it away from you?

Cheap holsters break when doing weapon retention drills, good quality ones will not break when pushing down, that's the entire purpose of the video, to show what kind of crap fobus is.

Fobus makes great cheap range holsters, but for daily wear it's junk.
    Dude, I know. I was just commenting about what was in the video.

Post imported post

I think I've seen the video you are talking about. The thought that popped in my mind is..."that is exactly why people made pistol leashes"...

Post imported post

jtkratzer wrote:
    Interesting video. I was looking for something else and it caught my eye. You might want to check it out. It appears you can get your holster busted and gun ripped off in a pretty simple motion. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKt...eature=related
    Yes.. but it doesn't matter what I say or how much proof I supply, everyone just thinks I'm an *******.

Post imported post

I have a Fobus for my Smith revolver, never had it pull out when drawing. It is secured to the paddle with three rivets. It is a good holster, I just am EXTRA cautious of what is around me when I use it for OC, since there is no active retention. Fobus holsters are NOT Kydex, unlike most other 'plastic' holsters.

I did just order a Bianchi Accumold thumbsnap holster for my P95D which will most likely take over for OC duty. But I do know that having an active retention device (in this case, thumb break) is not an excuse to be oblivious to your surroundings, it is just another layer of security.

Post imported post

I just got a Fobus for my P89D for 50% off, which I have yet to get used to. I'm still trying to get the whole thing broken in, trying to draw it either pulls my pants up or I am left there holding the gun and the holster still in one piece.

I left it in a half-in position to try and reduce how much it grips the trigger guard, hopefully this makes it a little better. Otherwise its time to buy another holster.

Post imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
    I just got a Fobus for my P89D for 50% off, which I have yet to get used to. I'm still trying to get the whole thing broken in, trying to draw it either pulls my pants up or I am left there holding the gun and the holster still in one piece.

I left it in a half-in position to try and reduce how much it grips the trigger guard, hopefully this makes it a little better. Otherwise its time to buy another holster.

Dude...

If you're going CC get a raven http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

for OC, get a Bladetech http://www.blade-tech.com/Holsters-c-253.htmlor Safariland http://www.safariland.com/

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    BrianEMT wrote:

Dude...

If you're going CC get a raven http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

for OC, get a Bladetech http://www.blade-tech.com/Holsters-c-253.htmlor Safariland http://www.safariland.com/

+1 on the Safariland. They actually makea couple that is specifically for my gun- one of the few out there for us lonely CZers. :celebrate

Post imported post

Absolutely valid truth in your posting. Your taking responsability to correct the possible problem, is a great example.

As a Fed for 31+ years, I've carried both ways, and on occaision I've found a little tweeking necessary, tgo meet my requirements.

Alec411

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast