• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have any of you seen this video about not wearing paddle holsters?

nova

imported post

I have a Fobus for my Smith revolver, never had it pull out when drawing. It is secured to the paddle with three rivets. It is a good holster, I just am EXTRA cautious of what is around me when I use it for OC, since there is no active retention. Fobus holsters are NOT Kydex, unlike most other 'plastic' holsters.

I did just order a Bianchi Accumold thumbsnap holster for my P95D which will most likely take over for OC duty. But I do know that having an active retention device (in this case, thumb break) is not an excuse to be oblivious to your surroundings, it is just another layer of security.

BrianEMT

imported post

I just got a Fobus for my P89D for 50% off, which I have yet to get used to. I'm still trying to get the whole thing broken in, trying to draw it either pulls my pants up or I am left there holding the gun and the holster still in one piece.

I left it in a half-in position to try and reduce how much it grips the trigger guard, hopefully this makes it a little better. Otherwise its time to buy another holster. :banghead:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I just got a Fobus for my P89D for 50% off, which I have yet to get used to. I'm still trying to get the whole thing broken in, trying to draw it either pulls my pants up or I am left there holding the gun and the holster still in one piece.

I left it in a half-in position to try and reduce how much it grips the trigger guard, hopefully this makes it a little better. Otherwise its time to buy another holster. :banghead:

Dude...

If you're going CC get a raven http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

for OC, get a Bladetech http://www.blade-tech.com/Holsters-c-253.htmlor Safariland http://www.safariland.com/

Dahwg

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
BrianEMT wrote:

Dude...

If you're going CC get a raven http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

for OC, get a Bladetech http://www.blade-tech.com/Holsters-c-253.htmlor Safariland http://www.safariland.com/

+1 on the Safariland. They actually makea couple that is specifically for my gun- one of the few out there for us lonely CZers. :celebrate

Alec411

imported post

Absolutely valid truth in your posting. Your taking responsability to correct the possible problem, is a great example.

As a Fed for 31+ years, I've carried both ways, and on occaision I've found a little tweeking necessary, tgo meet my requirements.

Alec411

tattedupboy

imported post

Fobus paddle holsters are not made for OC, so it is not surprising that this guy got his gun snatched. Open top holsters with no active retention devices are made for concealed carry, not openc arry. I carry my Glock 22 in a Fobus paddle holster for concealed carry during the fall and winter months and as long as I'm wearing a good, thick belt to hold the paddle in place, it works quite well. I would never use a holster like this for open carry because to me it seems to be asking to have your gun snatched, with or without it still being in the holster.

Alec411

imported post

I could not agree more with tatedupboy. Forbus paddle holsters were never intended for OC. If I OC'd with that particular holester, I'd get paranoid standing in line at the grocery store. OC, by it's very nature demands at least one retention device. This is of course a matter of personal opinion, but I've carried both ways for 40 + years, 30+ of those "on the job".

When I OC'd on the job, it wasen't often, but OC had only one purpose then, based on specific cases, or in presence of certain people. It was pure INTIMIDATION! Dual Desert Eagles, .50AE, in super chrome (bright) carried openly in a custom built "Miami Classic" style, with no covering garment. For effect only, eight belt mag carriers (all loaded, sometimes the load differed from mag to mag & were color coded for ball, frangables, fleshette, buck, incend.) Guys in the office would double over with laughter, but for those intended for a Lil intimadation, - IT WORKED WELL!If I discharged a round (carefully) into a berm or dumpster, people would hit the ground like a mass rock slide. (miss dat):celebrate

Alec411

NOTE: For non LEO's a Miami Classic is a shoulder rig.

Alec411

imported post

NOVA:

I think you will love your accumold, I have used on for the same weapon!:celebrate

Alec411

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
openryan wrote:
I carry a fobus paddle, but it is secured by 3 rivets.

Furthermore, I removed the rivets myself, put a layey of epoxy between the two piece, and put 3 stronger rivets in their stead.

Also, instead of the space cadet in the video, I wouldn't push down on the holster with him, I would have turned clockwise (while immobilizing his arm) and gave him a black eye to match my holster.
Why go to all that trouble on a cheap holster when ya can buy a quality one and never have to worry about it?

Weapon retention 101, always push down on your pistol when somebody trys to take it from your holster.

It's a lot easer said to stop the weapon grab than actually do it. Chances are you would loose the weapon and who knows what else if ya just tried a turn & hit without 1st securing your weapon.
Because they just don't make Serpa's or high quality holsters for my Ruger P345. It's as great a gun as any out there and I'mnot getting rid of it just beause I can't find a holster.

I saw that video and researched before buyingFobus paddle holster and that design in the videowas supposedly the first gen Fobus, IIRC.Mine is a thicker high impact plastic, not thin kydex, so I don't know what they're talking about.

nova

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
NOVA:

I think you will love your accumold, I have used on for the same weapon!:celebrate

Alec411

Just got it in, and I'm not happy like I thought I'd be. The gun fits well and the thumbsnap etc. But I'm having a problem with the adjustable thumbsnap and belt loop. It is designed so the thick plastic part that the thumbsnap snaps to fits down within where the belt loop is, so when the thumbsnap is adjusted with the velcro under the belt loop, there is no room for the belt to go through! WTF! After adjusting it a few times, the velcro won't hold worth a crap. Not even considering returning it since the return shipping and restocking fee is more than its worth. I should have gotten the belt slide version instead!

So it looks like I'll just give up on finding a holster for this gun, and just go back to OCing my Smith mod. 64 in a Fobus or Accumold belt slide.

thx997303

imported post

The only decent non universal holster I could find for my Hi point was the Fobus.

Keep in mind, I will not be carrying the Hi point for too long, Need a better holster for my S&W Model 10

Alec411

imported post

NOVA

I am sorry about the problems you're having with your Accumold. Mine is a belt slide model & I have no probs.

Alec411

imported post

Brian I don't understand the probs you're having with your Ruger & the Forbus. I use on a KP93D, and another on a KP90DC and within about 45 minutes each, both worked fine

BrianEMT

imported post

In 45 minutes? I've tried prying it open a little, and having it holstered halfway, the retention on it is still more than I would like. Not sure what else I can do about it, I'm considering going to something easier, perhaps just a leather paddle with a thumb-break.

Alec411

imported post

Brian

Got to tell you, after 30+ years of constant carry, I do love a good leather holster, and the way they naturally "age". Suckers smell good too!:celebrate

nova

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
NOVA

I am sorry about the problems you're having with your Accumold. Mine is a belt slide model & I have no probs.
no problem...not a big deal. I decided to just stick with carrying my 4" Smith until I find a gun more companies make holsters for... :D I was just disappointed, because Bianchi makes a quality product...this one just had poorly designed belt loops that just didn't work for me. If I can get the velcro fixed, it will still be used at home to keep the trigger guard covered on my home gun :)

imported post

Fobus is the only kydex paddle holster I have ever seen do this...

by the way the fobus belt holster does the same

thx997303

imported post

My Fobus is not Kydex. And I can't see this being done to it. I will try it when I get some extra money.

And by the way, I know how I react when someone touches something of value that is attached to my body, last time someone's arm got broke, course he was going for my wallet, and I was not OCing.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
In 45 minutes? I've tried prying it open a little, and having it holstered halfway, the retention on it is still more than I would like. Not sure what else I can do about it, I'm considering going to something easier, perhaps just a leather paddle with a thumb-break.

Brian, I had that same thing with my Fobus. Put a AA battery in the trigger guard overnight, that did wonders for me. Might even need two nghts, depends on your holster/gun.