• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

on my way

packsaddle

imported post

hey guys.

i am a resident and concealed handgun licensee here in texas and i am coming to your 'hood next week.

i will be visiting virginia for a couple of days and would like to know some general do's and do not's in your state.

will be in the herndon area.

would like to carry open if possible.

thanks, in advance.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Absolutely, OC to your heart's content, just don't forget, you MUST open carry if you go to a restaurant that serves alcohol. Your CCW permit is no good there. Hope you enjoy your visit to our fine state.

vrwmiller

imported post

packsaddle wrote:
thanks for the info.

is there anywhere in the herndon area that a person cannot legally open carry?
AFAIK, no. Except for the terminal at Dulles Airport. Any federal property is off-limits, of course.

Regional Parks, which do exist around Herndon are A-OK for carry.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome to Virginia. Please don't judge native Virginians by what you might find in Northern Virginia. The area has become so inundated over the years with people from other parts of the nation and the world. It's lost its Southern flavor.

Also, you Texans need to get together and convince your representatives that OC'ing is part of being a Texan and an American.

Do enjoy your stay.

Marco

imported post

Welcome to VA.

There is a handy pamphlet on this site courtesy of BobCav
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html
Print and carry if you desire.

I have carried in the Herndon area without issues, so no worries there.
If your able post when you'll be in town and maybe some of us could get together for lunch/coffee or dinner.

packsaddle

imported post

thanks again.

i've never flown with my handgun before.

can i just put a lock around the handle of my factory glock hard case?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not sure I would trust the glock case. I fly with mine all the time between Arizona and Texas -I have a small hardshell Pelican case(about $75) with lock that worksnicely.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've flown with pistols a number of times, and it's really pretty easy. I suggest you download the TSA regulations and the airline regulations on flying with firearms. Since you're flying from one gun-friendly state to another, the chance of running into a complete idiot are pretty low. In the unlikely event you do, having the regs can prevent unneccesary delay. Typically packing a gun may add only a few minutes at check in. You have to declare the gun, show it is unloaded (put a cable thru the action or have the slide off the frame; even a gun-naive person knows its not "loaded" then). You have to sign a red card that says it's unloaded, then put the card in the luggage. You will be asked to lock the gun container. Any ammo has to be in a separate hard-sided container or the original box, but needn't be locked. The agent will tell the TSA there is a gun in your luggage so they will expect it when they x-ray it. You then go on your way to the gate. PLENTY of people fly with guns, so it is unusual for employees not to know the process these days.

Enjoy your visit to the Old Dominion!

packsaddle

imported post

thanks guys for the links and the info.

i look forward to visiting virginia although i will only be therefor about 1 day.

i hope to open carry at least once while i'm there, justtoknow what it feels like to fully exercise ourfundamental rights.

will arrive on thursday evening, january 24th, around 8:30 pm.

at what point upon arrival can a person start packing?

i don't want the taxi cab driver to freak out.