• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn 2008-01-18

kle

imported post

I was at the Walmart in Fair Lakes for some .22 ammo and some more hearing protection (and guitar strings, which I couldn't find), when I came up behind a guy wearing a Parkerized 1911 with beautiful Walnut grip panels, cocked & locked, in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster on his right hip with a double magazine holder on the other side.

I asked him about the quality of the Remington .22 ammo he was also purchasing at the time--he reported that it's been pretty good for him, with a handful of FTFires and a keyhole or two, which is good enough for target practice.

He paid and left, and I stepped up and asked for a box of that same ammo along with my usual Federal bulk pack.

w00t.

eyesopened

imported post

What are you shooting that .22 with? I've been using the Federal stuff in that purple box with good results out of my MKII 22/45. It's cheaper than the remy by about $2 so I've been using it instead... When I say good results, I mean no FTF, FTE or keyholes etc. Just reliable as hell in the Ruger.

kle

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
What are you shooting that .22 with? I've been using the Federal stuff in that purple box with good results out of my MKII 22/45. It's cheaper than the remy by about $2 so I've been using it instead... When I say good results, I mean no FTF, FTE or keyholes etc. Just reliable as hell in the Ruger.
I just picked up a Ruger Mk. II standard--so far, except for one dud round (that wasn't even part of the bulk-pack, just one picked up off the ground), it's been perfect through 168 rounds.

I've also got a S&W 617 which is where most of my FTFires happen. Good thing about DA revolvers, though, is that if that happens I can just pull the trigger again and have a go at a fresh round...or, what I usually do, is to hold the trigger down and cock the hammer back into SA to try the round again. If it doesn't light after a few tries, then it's truly a dud (it's happened before), but usually I can get it to light on the second try.

Finally, I've just fixed an H&R Sportsman Double Action (which is older than my parents!) which now works (or at least, it was flawless through the last cylinder-full) but I keep around mostly because it's an interesting revolver--top break, 9-shot...

Marco

imported post

I've been using CCI mini mags for yrs with no problems.
I've never experienced a keyhole and all ftf were magazine related,none since getting new magazines.
In fact both my Rugers (MKII/10/22) prefer them.

I got to try some new ammo out on my 10/22.
I installed a Magnum research 16" Carbon fiber barrel

1. Agulia .22 SSS
SniperSubSonic60gr lead
accurate but wouldn't feed reliably
probably would preform great in arevolver or bolt action

2. Aguila .22 Super Maximum
Hyper Velocity .30gr HP plated
super accurate and reliable
Aguila alleges 1750ft/sec & 204 ft/lbs of energy

All the CCI loads worked great
Mini mags, + V, Velocitors and Blazer
these loads have always performed well and today was no different.
No Stingers allowed per Magnum Research the longer cases will not chamber.

4. Remington Yellow Jackets
another top performer
they aren't as accurate as the mini mags

5. Federal Gold Medal
accurate just edging out the mini mags and reliablebut they are more expense

kle

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
...3. All the CCI loads worked great
Mini mags, + V, Velocitors and Blazer
these loads have always performed well and today was no different.
No Stingers allowed per Magnum Research the longer cases will not chamber...
No stingers? don't all .22 rounds use heeled bullets anyways? so the cartridge is the same width, regardless of whether the case is longer (as in Stingers) or not...i.e. don't the rounds headspace on the rim and not the case-mouth?

Marco

imported post

To help answer your question.
Straight from their website.

Ammunition Tips for Magnum Lite .22LR Graphite Barrels, Rifles and PiCuda Pistols

Following are a few tips on ammunition selection to help you understand this barrel/rifle/pistol and get the most it has to offer.

CHAMBER: The barrel has a very special chamber designed for accuracy. This "Benz" chamber is tighter and has a shorter tapered throat or lead into the rifling. This throat is intended to perfectly center the bullet in the rifling prior to firing the round. This is a common throat in a match semi-auto rifle, but it is also NOT a universal "shoot all" chamber. It requires good ammunition. Most promotional ammunition will not function well in it. That is by design; we have designed this barrel as an accuracy barrel.

AMMUNITION: We understand that our customers will have many different uses for our barrels. Some will hunt, plink, varmint and target shoot, even seriously target shoot. This barrel is capable of it all, with the correct ammo. To find the correct ammo first decide what you want to do with it, then purchase several different types of ammo that meets your ultimate goal and try them out, select the best performing one and have fun. Selection should be based on function and accuracy. Some legitimate match grade ammunition will shoot great but is subsonic and will not cycle the action of a semi-auto rifle. MOST promotional loads will not shoot well and will not function well in a semi-auto. There are many moderately priced brands that function the semi-auto action well and shoot extremely well. We use CCI standard velocity ammo as a benchmark when we function test our MLR rifles. It is standard velocity ammo that shoots very well and will cycle our semi-auto actions.

TIPS:

1. CLEAN your barrel when it is dirty. Clean it with solvent, copper brushes and cotton patches from the breech end. Our MLR rifles have a cleaning rod hole in the rear of the receiver for this purpose or for simple cleaning of the bore we also recommend the Michaels of Oregon bore snake; pulled from the breech to the muzzle.
  2. Promotional, low priced bulk ammunition does not shoot well and may cause function problems in the semi-automatic action and BENZ chamber. They also lead the barrel much quicker than quality ammo.
  3. STINGERS are NOT designed to be used in a BENZ chamber do not shoot them. The case is too long.
  4. In any rimfire barrel a quality barrel will NOT make cheap ammo shoot well. Rather a quality barrel will enhance the performance of quality ammo.
  5. Typically hollow points do not shoot as accurately as a solid bullet in .22LR ammunition. They are usually high speed and function well. If you are hunting and have chosen to use them, try as many brands as possible to select the best shooting brand.
  6. HIGH speed ammo cycles the semi-auto rimfire action better than standard velocity ammo does. It also generally does not shoot as well.
Ammo selection can be half the fun of learning about your barrel or rifle and it is very revealing. Some ammo simply does not work well in a semi-auto.

Thank you for your confidence in the Magnum Research graphite barrel and Magnum Lite rifle. We hope you have as much fun shooting it as we do.

stryth

imported post

kle wrote:
I was at the Walmart in Fair Lakes for some .22 ammo and some more hearing protection (and guitar strings, which I couldn't find), when I came up behind a guy wearing a Parkerized 1911 with beautiful Walnut grip panels, cocked & locked, in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster on his right hip with a double magazine holder on the other side.

I asked him about the quality of the Remington .22 ammo he was also purchasing at the time--he reported that it's been pretty good for him, with a handful of FTFires and a keyhole or two, which is good enough for target practice.

He paid and left, and I stepped up and asked for a box of that same ammo along with my usual Federal bulk pack.

w00t.
kle- a pleasure meeting you yesterday. I'll have to give the Federal a shot, and let me know how the Remmington treats you. I'm shooting from a Ruger Mk III hunter, by the way. In fact, I was at the range just before we met pushing my shooting to 25 and 50 yards to see how well I could do at the E-match :cool:

kle

imported post

stryth wrote:
kle- a pleasure meeting you yesterday. I'll have to give the Federal a shot, and let me know how the Remmington treats you. I'm shooting from a Ruger Mk III hunter, by the way. In fact, I was at the range just before we met pushing my shooting to 25 and 50 yards to see how well I could do at the E-match :cool:
Oh excellent! If your Mk. III Hunter is anything like my Mk. II Standard, we should see some good scores indeed =)

Pleased to meet you!

stryth

imported post

kle wrote:
stryth wrote:
Oh excellent! If your Mk. III Hunter is anything like my Mk. II Standard, we should see some good scores indeed =)

Pleased to meet you!
Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to printing out the target yet, but I did shoot through two boxes of Federal .22. I got one stovepipe and one FTF out of each box, one or two other shots felt weird (inconsistent burn, squib, or whatever they were I can't tell the difference by feel). On those counts the Federal performed better than the Rem, but I think I've been getting superior accuracy out of the Rem. on my pistol. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try them side by side on the same day so perhaps it's an issue with the shooter and not the ammo.

How has the Rem. done for you?

kle

imported post

stryth wrote:
...I did shoot through two boxes of Federal .22. I got one stovepipe and one FTF out of each box, one or two other shots felt weird (inconsistent burn, squib, or whatever they were I can't tell the difference by feel). On those counts the Federal performed better than the Rem, but I think I've been getting superior accuracy out of the Rem. on my pistol. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try them side by side on the same day so perhaps it's an issue with the shooter and not the ammo.

How has the Rem. done for you?
I haven't gotten a chance to try the Remington stuff out yet, as I spent my recent trips to the range coaching my brother's fiancée in shooting pistols (or shooting, period), so we just burned through about 450 rounds of the Federal I usually get. Which, by the way, had one FTFire (which fired on the second try) and two stove-pipes (limp-wristing, probably), and a few inconsistent burns (but enough to push the bullet out of the barrel and through the target at 10 feet).

I think this week I'll try the Remington stuff in my Mk. II and my 617, and maybe some Federal lead 40gr in them as well (my uncle gave me about 300 rounds of the 40gr stuff to shoot in his Anschutz 1903, figured I might as well try them with my equipment too =).

kle

imported post

kle wrote:
I think this week I'll try the Remington stuff in my Mk. II and my 617, and maybe some Federal lead 40gr in them as well (my uncle gave me about 300 rounds of the 40gr stuff to shoot in his Anschutz 1903, figured I might as well try them with my equipment too =).
Put 50 rounds of this stuff through my Mk. II yesterday: I don't like it. I didn't shoot it side-by-side with my usual Federal (even though I had a box of Federal with me), but I remember the Federal shooting cleaner and more consistent. There wasn't much fouling or anything, but there was less smoke, and the burn/recoil felt more consistent with the Federal than with the Remington.

So that's Strike Two for Remington (Remington Thunderbolt .22 is definitely worse). Haven't tried it in my 617 yet, though, since I got kicked off my lane after an hour.