• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber 10mm

jimwyant

imported post

Does anyone on the board have any experience with Kimber's 1911 models chambered in 10mm? I currently have a pair of G20's, and am considering a Kimber. The 10mm is a hotter round than the "normal" 1911's 45 ACP, so I am concerned about reliability. Any experience, information or advice would be appreciated.

Springfield45

imported post

I too have a G20 and love the 10mm round.

Another fine handgun I carry at times is a Colt Delta-Elite
also chambered 10mm.
The Delta-Elite being designed like a 1911 .45,
it is a very reliable pistol, never gave me any trouble.

Now, i don't own a Kimber 10mm and not educated on thier reliability
with the 10mm. But, the Delta-Elite is almost identical in design, If it's
the design you're worried about.

My $0.02

~~Springfield

jimwyant

imported post

Springfield45 wrote:
I too have a G20 and love the 10mm round.

Another fine handgun I carry at times is a Colt Delta-Elite also chambered 10mm. The Delta-Elite being designed like a 1911 .45, it is a very reliable pistol, never gave me any trouble.

Now, i don't own a Kimber 10mm and not educated on thier reliability with the 10mm. But, the Delta-Elite is almost identical in design, If it's the design you're worried about.

My $0.02

~~Springfield

I am concerned about the design. I carry Buffalo Bore in my G20's, which is about as hot as they come, and would carry the same ammo in any 10mm that I own once I prove the weapon/ammo combination for reliability and accuracy.

I reload, and I like to set up my practice ammo to feel like my carry ammo, so my reloads are about 5-10% under the Buffalo Bore load. I like to shoot, and don't want to spend $1000+ for a design if it is going to start to have problems after only a few thousand rounds.

I have heard of the Delta Elite, but unless I am mistaken, they are no longer in production and I want to go with new. That pretty much leaves me with Kimber and Glock. I like my G20's, but I also like the 1911 style.

Marco

imported post

I don'thave any experience with Kimber but do like10mm.
Own several guns in the caliber(too many to list).

Have you visited http://www.10mmtalk.com?

Membership isn't required to browse the forums.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

If you are going to be using the hot (read "full-powered") Doubletap or Buffalo Bore 10mm stuff, I would stay away from the Kimber 1911's. The Delta Elite, while most of the small parts are exactly the same as a "regular" 1911, the frame and slide have more metal where it counts the most. With the right weight springs (24-26#), you should be OK with hotloading the Delta Elite. The Kimbers are basically a "standard" .45 ACP version that has been rechambered. Your best bet, should you decide to get one of the Kimbers, would be to make sure you keep a fresh recoil spring of 24# or more, on that full-length guide rod, and replace it about every 1000-1500 rounds and make sure that you keep it well-lubricated. In other words, it will require the most up-keep than any other of your guns. Whether it's worth it, that's up to you to decide, but they are very accurate when they are performing at their best. The only 10mm that I trust to shoot 'as is' with full-power loads all the time is the G20, but you've already got two of those!!!!

-G20

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I owned one, but had to sell it because I needed the money. That pistol was my favorite gun out of any pistol I have ever owned. It never jammed on me, NEVER, and I shot really hot rounds from it at times with no problem. In steel plate shooting I beat more experienced shooters that fired .45ACP and .40 cal. The pistol was extremely accurate. After it fires it falls back on target almost perfectly. I sold it to me friend with the side note that I will buy it back from him. It is an excellent pistol.

10mm eclipse

imported post

yes I do and let me tell you its the most accurate piece of art you will ever own in a pistol
tuff as nails very very accurate compared to my g20 c id rather be holding the kimber very solid contruction very nice machining!

mr2guru

imported post

Also, Might want to look at the Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm.

Very nice gun.

CD MCKINNEY

imported post

Actually, using a spring heavier than a 20# is a very bad idea, as it causes the pistol to be battered and not function properly. Its much better to use [in a 1911] a 20# recoil spring, a EGW flat firing pin stop and a heavier mainspring: 25#-28# and a recoil buffer pad is good too. This tunes the weapon properly and gives the smoothest and most reliable and comfortable function, with easy recoil and great accuracy and follow up shots with "high power" ammo. I suggest that you do not take ANYONE'Sadvice [though] and check out the particulars yourself, as there are many people with opinions and few with real knowledge [and] you could be sorry later. Note: I have a Dan Wesson PM10-S 5" stainless 10mm 1911, and it shoots like butter; I believe they are better than the Kimbers.