• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Badges

Tony Soprano

imported post

What is your opinion of a CCW Badges? I already know most police officers don't like them,but with that being said I saw one recently, a guy I know had a badge custom made with his name,state seal,and permit number that looked real good .I myself have bad and mixed feelings about it :shock:

nathan

imported post

What is the point? Why advertise the fact that you are CC'ing? Doesn't that defeat the point of CC. Police badges represent authority given by the governent. CCW badges don't mean anything.

Tony Soprano

imported post

nathan wrote:
What is the point? Why advertise the fact that you are CC'ing? Doesn't that defeat the point of CC. Police badges represent authority given by the governent. CCW badges don't mean anything.
These badges are the same shape and design to those used byLEOs, and may appear to officers to be official identification. Please be aware that a badge is not required for carrying a concealed handgun and cannot be used as a substitute for the concealed handgun license . Displaying a badge may give the false, and illegal, impression that the holder is a LEO, and possibly leading to criminal prosecution for impersonating an officer. The badge may also attract attention from criminals who believe the holder is an officer.

PT111

imported post

If you want a badge then join a police force. Otherwise you are a wannabe that needs to stay home and watch Dirty Harry and Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Don't be exposing yourself tothe public. :cuss:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think Mike, Supermoderator said it best earlier. A badge undermines the OC mission of educating the public that ordinary citizens can OC.

sccrref

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I think Mike, Supermoderator said it best earlier. A badge undermines the OC mission of educating the public that ordinary citizens can OC.
+1 My vote is that they do not serve a useful purpose and may get you charged with impersonating if they look to close to a real badge.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I have had friends tell me that the reason people OC is to look like a cop, which we all know is not true. But if you start wearing a badge people will really think we are trying to be cops. I am going to school to be LE and I'll wait tillI amdone with school and get onto a force before I start wearing a badge. Also I don't understand why you would want to wear something if you don't have too. It is also fun to leave people guessing sometimes.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
I have had friends tell me that the reason people OC is to look like a cop, which we all know is not true. But if you start wearing a badge people will really think we are trying to be cops. I am going to school to be LE and I'll wait tillI amdone with school and get onto a force before I start wearing a badge. Also I don't understand why you would want to wear something if you don't have too. It is also fun to leave people guessing sometimes.

Ah, criminal justice, was my major as well, I am actually getting ready to drop out of the next stage of the state police process -- I took another job.

However, there are quite a few people who at least seem like they join for the gun and the badge, which is sad.

I can also certainly believe that some wear a gun to look like a cop, this isn't too much of a stretch, I have had people tell me that before. But, I'll take the heat, when I'm standing at the counter and someone comes in to hold up the place and they want my help.... hmmm.... what? -- Do I look like a cop? HAHA!

Badge is only good for police and bounty hunters, gives the illusion of authority.

You don't get why people wear something if they don't have to!?! You wear a gun don't you! :p

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

nathan wrote:

I've been caught offguard by Geek Squad guys in Best Buy who wear fairly realistic looking badges at first sight.

psmartin

imported post

Wynder wrote:
nathan wrote:

I've been caught offguard by Geek Squad guys in Best Buy who wear fairly realistic looking badges at first sight.

This is a perfect example of: "retarded"

The Geek Squad wearing a "badge" or a carrier wearing a "badge", it's a tough call on which is worse.. at least a private carrier isn't going to crash your computer and charge you by the hour while doing so.

ChinChin

imported post

I am not ashamed to admit that once upon a midnight dreary I too carried a CCW badge. I had just received my permit and while primarily a CC person, I didn’t feel it was my job to educate the unwashed sheeple of the legality of carrying a firearm, nor did I want to be bothered, hence I stuck the badge next to my holster.

That lasted all of 3 weeks.

Nobody cared I had a firearm on. I’d get the occasional look, but more then not people couldn’t give 2 poops if I had the firearm on or otherwise. So I took the badge off and lo and behold, same response. Nobody seemed to notice nor care I was armed lawfully, which is the way I like it.

Save yourself 20 bucks. Don’t make my mistake and buy a piece of tin that will end up sitting in your junk drawer collecting dust.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

openryan wrote:
HMDGLOCK wrote:

Ah, criminal justice, was my major as well, I am actually getting ready to drop out of the next stage of the state police process -- I took another job.

However, there are quite a few people who at least seem like they join for the gun and the badge, which is sad.

I can also certainly believe that some wear a gun to look like a cop, this isn't too much of a stretch, I have had people tell me that before. But, I'll take the heat, when I'm standing at the counter and someone comes in to hold up the place and they want my help.... hmmm.... what? -- Do I look like a cop? HAHA!

Badge is only good for police and bounty hunters, gives the illusion of authority.

You don't get why people wear something if they don't have to!?! You wear a gun don't you! :p

I weara gun because I feel I have to. So aCCW badge is not a must for my safety, a gun is.

Are you taking any classes now?

Beau

imported post

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a legit reason for wearing a permit badge. I can't do it. I can't even believe these things exist. Could you imagine the outcry if a law was passed requiring all permit holders to carry a badge? So why anyone would want to wear one voluntarily is beyond me.