• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Badges

ScottNH

imported post

I think they're a great idea. In fact, why stop at CCW badges? I think we should wear CCW Uniforms! They can be just like real LEO uniforms, but we'll leave off the patches or insignia. Then everyone will know we're good guys!

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

I have heard some people say that they have heard that by wearing a CCW badge makes them a little more safer when the cops arrive to a scene because then the cops can see that while you are wearing a gun, they can see you aren't a perp but instead are a CCW holder. What do you think? I think that reason is silly myself.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

I have heard some people say that they have heard that by wearing a CCW badge makes them a little more safer when the cops arrive to a scene because then the cops can see that while you are wearing a gun, they can see you aren't a perp but instead are a CCW holder. What do you think? I think that reason is silly myself.

I am re-editing this now: Actually I recall now that the people I have heard make my previous point were the companies selling these police badges with CCW instead of Police on them

tarzan1888

imported post

Beau wrote:
Because there is no way you can be a permit holder and commit a crime. The nifty badge says so.

Yea!

Now if we could only get all the bad guys to carry and wear those badges, then they wouldn't be bad guys any more.

You solved our crime problem and didn't even know it.

Tarzan

tattedupboy

imported post

If it's not against the law, let them do whatever they want. Personally, I choose to CC and I believe that a CC badge takes away whatever tactical advantages there are in CCingbecause they're advertising the fact that they're carrying. However, because 90% of people are totally oblivious to what's going on around them, if they see someone in plain clothes wearing a badge, they're probably going to assume, without actually looking atthe badge,that the person is a police officer. Not quite sure how a criminal would react, however. As with all things in life, there are pros and cons, and in this case, I can't say for sureif the pros are outweighed by the cons or vice versa.

Deputy

imported post

Why wouldsomeonecarry a ccw badge? To me it sounds likewhoever has a ccw badge is a whacker (wannabecop)that's trying to impersonate a LEO. I'd say leavewearing badges to the real police becausehaving a ccw badge will only get you into trouble. (example: Flashing it when someone cuts you off. etc.)Idon't think they should even make badges like that. A criminal could easilyget one of them and use it torobinnocent people whothink they are an officer.

Just my $0.02 :)

intergalactic

imported post

I posed this question to the State Police and their response was:

If you open carry the CCW badge can be worn on the belt near the firearm and can distract attention and people will be less likely to cause problems of fear or discomfort around someone with an exposed firearm. In the same respect someone will feel more comfortable because they see the badge and "assume" that you are some sort of an officer you cannot portray that you are one.

They actually gave me a real situation where someone was open carrying and had a badge on and the food establishment gave them an officers discount. A couple of real officers recognized the CCW badge and cited him for impersonation of an officer.

If you CCW I do not see the point of wearing the badge in plain site, this defeats the purpose of CCW.

I will admit that the CCW bages at Pop Guns website are nice looking, especially the one with the Indiana Seal on it. I have even thought about getting one with the wallet to carry my permit in, but I could not come up with enough reasons to justify the cost.

Getting one may help you open carry and avoid harassment from local establishments. If you choose to wear one make sure that you in no way shape or form have people think that you are an officer. If they give you a discount, ask if you are an officer, or anything close to it just explain that you are an honest, hard working, armed citizen and not an officer.

The State Police also informed me that when it comes to badges if it is not issued by the state or other official governing agency then better safe than sorry and do not use one. Badges are for "Official" use only!

aikidoka

imported post

I say no to the badge. Too easy for regular folks to think you're a police officer and then for that to result in people thinking you were trying to impersonate a law enforcement officer.

I would think having a concho on a holster would be the most one should do. That looks nice and isn't anywhere near a law enforcement badge.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have finally come up with a possible use for the badge. Many of us OC because we want to let people know that ordinary people carry guns for self-defense. Well this type of badge may be useful for someone in say, Texas, where OC is illegal. You can still let people know that you're carrying peacefully, and possibly even have the deturrent effect of OC even though you cannot display your firearm.

Thoughts?

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Funny you mention "Official Taxpayer Badges" ... several years ago, as in when I was in high school in Michigan, I used to read Soldier of Fortune magazine quite often ... I can recall them advertising an "Official Taxpayer Badge" that looked amazingly like an FBI badge ... it even came in a nifty flip open ID case too ...

I'm neutral on the badge idea ... if one wants to carry one then great, and if not, then great too ...

Loneviking

imported post

I'm of two minds on these badges. I really don't like the idea of carrying something that only LEO's should carry.

On the other hand, I've seen some of the 'fear and panic' caused by OC, and it does seem as though a badge goes a long way to relieving that fear. I know, it's irrational of folks to give so much importance to a little hunk of metal, but I can't help how folks think. However, if I can do something simple to tamp down any reactions---why not?

I don't see a problem as long as, when asked, you just say 'the badge identifies me as holding a CCW, and I'm not acop. I've been fingerprinted and background checked by law enforcement, it's my way of saying 'I'm a good guy, don't panic'---and leave it at that.

HKP30

imported post

FWIW, in my other hobby (Ham Radio) there are a lot of "Save the world" "Disaster Prep." type guys that chase storms, and try to help out in any and every disaster that strikes anywhere near where they live.

These guys get referred to by most of the rest of us as "Whackers" They put light bars on their cars, stickers all over their cars that make them "LOOK" official etc. Many of these folks also get "Radio Communications" , "Disaster Communications" , or "Sky Warn Spotter" type badges made to help with their "I'm official, I have a badge." persona.

An entire website is dedicated to making fun of these folks.
http://www.hamsexy.com

I think LTCH holders, Open or Concealed carriers who feel the need to wear a badge are in the same category......

Some Examples.............

Self appointed Radio Busybody.
254051898_a4fe9811ab_m.jpg

Whacker Parade...... None of these are actual Police or Emergency Vehicles.
252604496_7c23f3c21c.jpg

252604441_450699ec3d.jpg